Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nibs gave blood again- your dog could help save a life!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AmberNero, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Nero just got back from giving blood, he is very chilled out, and just needs gentle walks and some good sleep for the next few days, not much of a change for him, really :rolleyes:

This is the third time he's given blood, and it was to try and help a little spaniel girl in a critical condition.

If your dog is over 25kg, is healthy, friendly, calm at the vets and vaccinated- they could give blood! Just like humans, dogs need transfusions too.

The pet blood bank operates nationally, you can find out more here-

Pet Blood Bank UK

Alternatively what we did is inform my vet that we are happy for Nibs to be a blood donor, and they call us when he can help. He doesn't need a sedative as he is so relaxed, and this time he was in and out within an hour and a half.

PLEASE consider letting your dog give blood :eek:

Cheers for reading xxxx

Cleo38 likes this.
  2. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Awww Nib's, what a hero :)

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

What a brilliant thing to do, well done Nibs :thumbsup:

Unfortunately Toby is a big baby at the vets so wouldn't be able to do this. Just checked as Roxy may be suitable but there are no places listed near me, will ask when i'm next at the vets though

AmberNero likes this.
  4. mrsaxlrose

mrsaxlrose PetForums Member

Well done Nibs. I didn't even know dogs could give blood.

5. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

aw that's really nice, well done :)
    i didn't know dogs could give blood.. tia's not heavy enough unfortunately. i really wanted to give blood but i don't weigh enough either!

6. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

well done nibs :) opie was booked to donate on the 15th at sheffield but i got a phone call on monday to say they were having to cancel. they're going to ring me and let me know when they are back over here next.

AmberNero likes this.
  7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Calm at the vets... cannot guarantee that one!

8. Micky93

Micky93 PetForums VIP

Eddie is only 5kg so far too little. If he was bigger (a lot lol) then I would definitely be happy to have him be a blood donor. But hey ho :(

9. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Well done nibs

Neither of my two fit the criteria unfortunately

10. Rah

Rah PetForums Senior

Well done Nibs :D

George is very good with the vet so I'm wondering if when he's older he'll be able to give blood too :eek:

SJ

AmberNero likes this.
  11. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Well done Nibs, PBBUK is such an excellent and worthwhile charity. Flynn donated just the once and then made life difficult for them thereafter and wouldnt lie still so they struck him off! The other 2 dont fit the criteria unfortunately.

12. mrsaxlrose

mrsaxlrose PetForums Member

Just checked the locator on your link and there's no sessions near me but I might do what you did and ask my vet about it.

AmberNero likes this.
  13. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

I was going to register for when teddy was older, but even when she's fully grown she won't be heavy enough :( Shame as she loves the vets so far and is so calm and sweet :)

Does anyone know about cat banks? I heard this awful story of a cat that died because there was no blood for an operation and apparently there aren't many cat donors. Mosi and Nówë are great with the vets, healthy and nice big boys so I though if there was something they wouldn't mind donating.

I mean they might need blood one day, touch wood they wont, but you never know. If i didn't have health problems i'd be a human donor :/

Sorry for the change of animal just wondered if anyone knew...

14. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Well done Nibs!

I'm not sure that PBB blood session locator works well, as it didn't bring any local and were booked in for a session in January. Can always call/email PBB they're very helpful.

Charleigh, could check with your own vet, PBB had this on cat blood on the site.

15. Bailey doesn`t fit and never will fit the criteria (too small)

16. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

I am hoping to do this next year with Jake... he fits the criteria, bar the vaccinations. However, I am planning to do three yearly vaccinations which means he will be vaccinated in June... I will need to look into the ins and outs though of what they do and do not accepted, and a dog who has missed so many vaccinations might not be accepted by them. I would love for him to do it though.

Arrow probably won't make the weight... He is 22kg just now, and should grow a bit more, but being a BC, they don't often make a weight like 25kg. On the slightest chance he does though, then I would love for him to do it too.

17. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Well Done Nibs

I would love Millie to be able to - frustratingly she is to small :( shame they can consider smaller healthier dogs.

18. sillysausagedog

sillysausagedog PetForums Member

This is really generous. Thumbs up to all the brave dogs (and their owners) who do it! :thumbsup:

My little rotter will never be big enough, but I do my human share so I hope one day if he does need blood it'll be there for him.

19. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I wanted Bear to donate but header the weight limit. I might still ask as he's got a great temperament and I'd love for him to help another dog.

20. Quinn25

Quinn25 PetForums Member

Quinn fits all the criteria except that she's only 17kg. Would love her to be able to though. Well done Nibs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice