Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nibbling paws

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cleo38, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Toby has beeen nibbling his paws for a the past week or so. I thought it was an allergy but there doesn't appear to be any soreness/redness/inflammation between his toes & he is happy to let me look at them without getting upset.
    I mentioned this to the nurse when we went for his monthly weight check & she couldn't see anything that would give concern but recommened applying an aloe vera based gel to put on them if he starts again.

Does anyone have any recommendations of what would help ease this as I don't want him to break the skin & make the problem worse. I did ask if maybe he should be allergy tested but she didn't think it was necessary as yet

2. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Sorry can't help regarding creams etc,maybe it could be nettle stings etc

Alfie was going mad one day last week chewing away and wouldn't stop anyway after closer inspection,I noticed that there was what appeared to be a sticky bloody flap on his back paw where it had been cut:(Showed hubby and he agreed that Alfie had jumped out of grass earlier in day on walk and must have stepped on some glass,but the more I looked at it ,something just didn't add up,so I started to touch the flap of skin and it wobbled and to cut a long story short it was a red wine gum!All sticky and looking like a wound:eek:

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

LOL!! Although quite a shock initially!!!

You may be right about the nettles as he is always darting in/under hedgerows for his ball or to stalk rabbits & there are loads growing around them.
    I can't see anything else on his body to suggest irritation, it just seems to be his paws.

4. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Our ESS does this especialy her back paws usually she does it when her anal gland need emptying.:eek:

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Lovely! :lol:

It's Tobys front paws that he mainly concentrates on, not even one in particular so i don't think it's a grass seed or anything lodged between his toes.

6. yorkiegal

yorkiegal PetForums Newbie

Baxter has been scratching his ear and nibbling at his paws and hind leg. I took him off the dried food I'd been feeding him and switched to another and within 24hrs he'd stopped doing it. I put him back on it a few days later and he started scratching again so I think we've found the culprit. I now have a massive bag of puppy food to offload so I think I'll just drop it off at the vets next week when we go back for his next jab. I have an aloe vera plant and have been rubbing the juice from that on his ears and it seemed to help soothe him. His poo is mostly solid but occasionally it is runny, but that is usually if i've overdone it on treats. He also grabbed some chicken kiev of my plate when I was answering the door. We had a day of garlic smelling sloppy poo in the house after that lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice