Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

next step

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Punkkitty, May 21, 2010.

1. Punkkitty

Punkkitty PetForums Newbie

ok so i made a thread yesterday explaning the situation for me and my boy.

so im starting behaviour classes next week, a friend does dog training and shes agreed to take me to the classes.

for those who dont know whats going on-

my german shepherd takes a disliking to certain people, we have NO idea why. he gets on with most but its a selective few, the majority being male... the only woman he jumped at was a jogger, when i walked him past her though he did nothing so we might have sorted that as he hasnt done it since.

we have blokes in the house, my dad, bother and my bf and he is fine with them and most of our male friends.

so now i need the advice.. has anyone had this problem and solved it?
    i want him at the point where he wont even look at people the wrong way? i dont want this worry anymore.

nothing is a trigger, he just does it.

also, whats a good way to stop him being to protective of the house? people are scared to come in?

thanks

2. Sam1309

Sam1309 PetForums VIP

strange question

are these people wearing hats? have dark hair, flourecent jackets?

my mums GSD cross hates flouresent jackets and hates, and crash helmets. he went for my dad the other day in his bike gear, and when my dad took his crash helmet off te look of "oh f**k that was daddy" was utterly priceless.

some dogs just don't liek certain things

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Well no one can say you arent willing to improve things.You are going to classes and trying to get to the root of the problem,so well done you for not giving up!
    Enjoy the training classes,ask lots of questions and see if they can offer you some help with this.
    Myabe Walk your dog on a halti,as this will give you more control,and only off lead where you can really trust him.
    Try get a mate to keep knocking on the door,have your dog sit and when he is calm reward him with a treat,do this as many times as you can until it becomes really boring!!! When your friends enter the house tell them to ignore him until calm ,then reward him again.
    I know it sounds daft but have you any friend with really sound well trained dogs? maybe go walking with them,as your dog will take note of how the other dog behaves and if its not fussed by things,hopefully he wont be so anxious.
    If you really want to push it,lol,maybe ask your neighbour to come for a walk with you too,if you can get past this ,then maybe they will see hes not a bad dog,just needs a little extra help right now.I know this wont work with some neighbours but you never know lol!

4. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

HOw much stimulation is this pup having daily, what is he fed on, how long has this been going on ?
    xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice