Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

next door's tom cat spraying on our cat flap

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by bexster, Apr 26, 2011.

1. bexster

bexster PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum! I just wondered if anyone has any advice for me as I have a problem with my neighbour's tom cat spraying on our door.

We have two 10 month old, neutered kittens who have recently started going outside. We have fitted a cat flap in our door so they can get in and out when we are not here. We knew our neighbour had a tom cat and I had heard they often spray if they get into other people's houses so we bought a cat flap that only lets our cats in the house by scanning their microchip. However just as my boyfriend was finishing fitting the flap, the tom cat walked up to the door and sprayed the cat flap. :eek: He's done this a few times now, when we see it is wet we wipe it straight off but I think he must do it when we're not around because our hallway is starting to smell. I was wondering if anyone had any tips of how to put our neighbours cat off from spraying without putting our kittens off from using the cat flap? Or if anyone has any tips for removing the smell of cat wee from a wooden door?

Thanks xxx

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

You can by commercial sprays from pet shops and supermarkets, your vet might sell a good one. Nothing worse than that smell and pain to remove :(

Problem is if he is not neutered, he'll just keep coming back!

3. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

No idea, but didnt want to read and run.
    my inlaws have exacally the same problem, they have 4 cats...all spayed/neutured. theres a tom that lives on their road, identical to one of their cats...who keeps inviting itself in and spraying on anything and everything (even my sister in law whilst she was asleep in her bed!)...but they dont know whos cat it is...and when they lock the catflap, it breaks it and pulls the magnet off...sly cat!

So i know exacally how you feel, its a pain in the a*se.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice