Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Next doors Labrador coming into our garden.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming PetForums Member

Hi just looking for advise as to what I could do about this situation.

About 6 months ago a couple moved in around the corner with a lab whom was a trainee guide dog, the couple were planning on fostering him until he was ready to be matched. He is beautiful dog lovely temperament etc. He used to be at the centre for around 4/6 hours a day for training however recently he has been rejected from the problem due to an on going ear infection the lady told me so therefore he spends his days at home with the lady whilst her husband at work. Now the problem is that whenever the lady let's him out in her garden he keeps escaping into our other neighbours and the venturing into our garden. He is disturbing our dogs who are in the living room and who can see him through the patio doors. This used to happen say ever few days but now this is happening every single day, 3 times a day. The lab has also started fouling in our front and back garden too and has also destroyed my dad's plants due to him running through them. The lady always comes running up our path despite us having gates as it is private property so we can only assume she is actually coming through the gap were her dog is coming through! She always gets her dog and goes running back home, no apology just "oh Gareth have you gotten out again, silly boy" ?? It is starting to get myself and my family down as it's enough cleaning up after our own dogs, we don't want to start cleaning up after another! I also have a cat who spends his time in our front and back garden and I am now afraid if this Labrador spots him, what he could do as I am unaware how he is with cats.

Sorry for the long post. Is there anything I can do about this, the last time I confronted her I explained that we also have cars coming up and down and she needs to be aware because her dog could be at risk of being knocked down. All she said to me was "ahh well, we are moving soon anyway so you won't have to worry!" Just thought that was extremely rude.

Thank you for reading.

Sarah

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Is there anyway you can block the gap he's getting through?

3. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

We have been out and had a look however it's full of bushes and trees and we are struggling to find out a way how to block it x

4. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Pop a picture up of the area he is getting through and someone might have some ideas

5. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

It's quite a large gap

Attached Files:

6. Laney_Lemons

Laney_Lemons PetForums Senior

what about some chicken wire or something along this line to block it off?

WillowT, Wiz201, kimthecat and 3 others like this.
  7. Sarah Cain9 Dog Grooming

There was some chicken wire there from the previous family whom lived there it is all mangled and the new couple haven't seemed to have done anymore x

8. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

If this is the only gap he could get through then anything to block it temporarily such as chicken wire, bits of wood stacked between the branches to form a barrier or even lots of prickly bramble branches to fill the hole would probably do. The idea is to make your garden more of a problem to get into so that he goes off and bothers someone else in preference. If they truly are moving then it only needs to work till they go.

Alternatively get some posts and put up a chicken wire barrier inside your hedge line so he can get into the gap no further.

9. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Chicken wire and garden stakes in front of it would probably make a fairly secure barrier. I'd be tempted to then plant some more shrubs in front of it.
    I guess if the Labrador can get in your garden, your dogs could probably get into theirs if they really wanted. So would make sense to secure it anyway.

I'd probably also report her to the council.

10. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

Agree with the chicken wire or any sort of barrier, can get get some cheap stuff from B&M, pound stretcher to just plug the gap :).

If it carries on I'd be having a polite word with them about it to try and get their garden more secure as theri dog is pooping/peeing in yours and that isn't acceptable (obviously be nice :Angelic)

11. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

In fact, tree branches or bits of wood or anything really that he can't jump over or barge through. Just enough to put him off trying. It needn't be expensive. In fact, if you've got any bramble you can get your hands on (in good stout gloves, obviously!) a few long bits of that wound on the ground will stop him. Just put it on your side of the hole.

kittih likes this.
  12. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'd put some posts in along the whole section and attach chicken wire to it.

If the dog still gets through report it to the Dog Warden and ask them to have a word.

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is there actually a fence between you and your neighbour, and, if there is, do you know whose it is?

14. ouesi

ouesi Guest

This.
    And report it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Can u not fix the bit in your own fence he is getting through?

Wiz201 and Rafa like this.
  16. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

D o any of your other neighbours have a problem with the dog ? perhaps you could get together with them and talked to her .
    call the dog warden maybe.

I would be tempted to pick up the dogs poo and leave it on her door stop , in a bag of course :D

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. foxiesummer

foxiesummer PetForums VIP

You shouldn't have to 'fix'the fence it's the owners responsibility to contain the animal.. If it comes into your garden again ring the dog warden and report it as a stray., she will then get fined for letting him roam. Might give her the nudge she needs to repair the fence.

lorilu and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. kare

kare PetForums VIP

You have a dog that reacted defensively to neighbours "playing" You have a dog that needed you to get legal advice over a dog attack

The other dog getting in through the hole is in my mind irrelevant, your OWN dog needs a better secured garden than your photo indicates you currently have

Her life may one day depend on you securing your garden to ensure she cannot possibly make the mistake of being outside your property and a misunderstanding occurs (such as misunderstanding neighbours playing) when you are not physically present to help guide her through. (Dante sounds to me like a girls name, sorry if it is male)

Sairy, Lexiedhb, Leanne77 and 2 others like this.
  19. fernlady

fernlady PetForums VIP

I had this problem last year with a newly moved in husky (he was a puppy, not his fault, nob head owners). Until a new 6ft fence was erected, my oh bought some green plastic mesh fence (on a roll from B&Q). I also contacted the dog warden who paid them a visit.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Whilst annoying -If my dog were being disturbed daily, and repeatedly then yeah I'd repair my own fence to stop it, rather than waiting to get evidence, phoning dog warden, causing a fine etc. Sounds like the dog is traveling through another garden to get to this one so the op's fence can't be secure either, with dogs in a set up with neighbouring gardens surely this is a must.

ouesi, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice