Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Next door barkers, new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by callyvalley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. callyvalley

callyvalley PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    This is my first post (hopefully of many). We’re getting a cocker spaniel puppy soon and have neighbours with dogs which will bark at anything at all. The mum and all dogs around the pup at the moment are ever so well behaved and calm.

Is this barking at everything, as soon as it moves or their door is open, likely to be a behaviour our little pup will learn and if so, is there anything we can do to make it less appealing to copy, or is it going to just be something which happens?

thanks!!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No, your pup will learn the rules you set. In my home, it's one bark and you're in, so they are quiet outside even when next door have their daughter's yappy little dog over, or when the Labrador across the road barks his head off for hours.

Ian246 and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. callyvalley

callyvalley PetForums Newbie

That’s good to know, has settled my concerns for now. Thank you

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

As long as you train your dog you should be fine.

I have two dogs to one side of me, one to the other, and the woman behind me has 8/9 (and im excluding the myriad of others dumped in their gardens in my village which is otherwise quiet so you can hear them from a good distance away) and ALL of these dogs are persistent barkers - mine only ever has a woof at the pigeons if they land on the fence, and even then its one, maybe two, barks, and quiet ones at that as i have bothered to put the time and effort into training him. By training, i dont mean yelling at him every time he barks which seems to be the most popular method out there.

I dont want my dog to simply shut up when i tell him, i want him to not bark in the first place. I dont want a dogs first reaction to something to be a vocal one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice