Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

newly diagnosed diabetic cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kelloggs1, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Kelloggs1

Kelloggs1 Banned

she is on 1.8 units of insulin injection 2x day
    both girls are fed on RC sensitive food 2 x day
    both are indoor

any pointers on how things progress and the long term?

thank you!! x:thumbup:

2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

3. Kelloggs1

Kelloggs1 Banned

Thank you Saikou!

I just want to give her the best life you know.. she was left in a box with her sister and their kittens.. so the 9 years she has been with a good home have already meant more than she could have had but still.

came as a bit of a shocker I can tell you!

4. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

try introducing raw or cooked meats. less/no carbs, less insulin :) but only on your vet's advice! as she may require less units.

5. Kiskasiberians

Kiskasiberians PetForums Senior

6. Kelloggs1

Kelloggs1 Banned

Hi Bia! I know you from another forum!

thanks everyone - we are back at the vets next fri.. oddly she isn't an overweight cat but we'll have to watch her now her insulin is getting back to a normal level.

my lovely girl.. secretly she is my favourite so i feel bad for her

x

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Hiya, yep recognized the name :D

Yep keep an eye out for low sugars!

8. pria

pria PetForums Newbie

Hi

Im new to the site, but not new to diabetes, so wanted to try and offer some help.

My cat has diabetes and after doing quite a bit of research, I was able to get him diet controlled in less than a week. He hasnt had insulin now for over a month. I have done this alongside my vet who luckily is also my close friend.

Most vets are old school and will recommend feeding a prescription dried food diet. This has now been proven to be the wrong thing. Cats are obligate carnivores and dont have a digestive system that can cope with carbs. A raw food diet is best, but many of the tinned foods sold in the UK can also be used. Carbs have to be less than 10% and preferably less that 6%. I have been using KiteKat in Jelly, tinned varieties. PM me if you want the full list of ok foods.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE NOTE that feeding a low carb diet should only be done if you are home blood testing as the need for insulin will most probably be reduced if not removed and if you dont have an idea of the blood glucose level, this could lead to a hypo.

Are you in the UK?
    Are you home blood testing?
    Are you feeding dry cat food?

Home blood testing is the most important roll a cat owner can play in the treatment of diabetes. It allows you to adjust the amount of insulin depending on the reading. It is very easy to do once you get the hang of it and most cats except it and DO NOT resent you for it. Home testing monitors can be bought from any chemist or even Ebay. I use the One Touch Ultra, which is excellent as it only requires a tiny amount of blood.

Please if you want anymore help or to know more of my research, feel free to contact me via pm.

Love
    Carolxx

PS Dr Hodgkins is amazing and a very good source for advice on diabetes. Also have a look at Feline Diabetes —Diabetes in Cats — Treatment and Diabetic Cat Info — FDMB. The forum is excellent. I have just started a group on facebook also. You are welcome to join. Cat Lovers - Your cats health is in your hands. | Facebook

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice