Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newly Blind Bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meghan, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Meghan

Meghan PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I'm on the internet today searching for as much advice as possible.

This morning my bunny had both her eyes removed, she's had an incredibly difficult four/five months after contracting Myxomatosis in September (she was vaccinated, which is what saved her!) The myxi caused her eyes to become severely ulcerated, we tried for months to correct the damage done but unfortunately they were becoming painful and infected. She has come out the surgery amazingly, and she is a literal binkying miracle.

But, I have no idea how to do this blindness thing, it is literally terrifying me. She seems to be taking it all in her stride, i however am watching her every move like a new mum with a baby!!

Anyone have any experience, advice or help? I'm also struggling to get her sister Mabel to stop licking her stitches!!

Thankyou in advance,
    Meg and Martha x

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor rabbit. I think the first step is to ensure that her surroundings etc are kept the same, so she is familiar with them. Lots of love, patience and guidance will help her to adjust. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

I had a blind bun, and i'm writting a book about rabbits, here is what i have about blind rabbits

Blind rabbits will undoubtly be skitish as they bump into things and find their way around. However, as long as the layout of a rabbits’ enclosure does not change they should be able to get around as they remeber the location of each object and where the walls are in relation to these objects. The main concern with blind rabbits is when you stroke and handle them as they wont see you coming. When stroking or lifting a sighted rabbit you should place your hand infront of their face and gently touch their whiskers, allong with making a calm noise. so they know you are there and don’t feel like they are being carried away by a predator.

I had an elderly blind rabbit living with me, when I first brouhgt him home he was very skitish of touch and would run away when ever he felt the touch of my hand. However, I began expreimenting with sound and gentle touch and suggest that you approach a rabbit by touching the tips of their whiskers, wringing a gentle bell or clicking fingers. Once the rabbit knows you are near place a blanket over the rabbit and lift him to tyour chest or table. Wrap the blanket around your rabbit, leaving a gap open for his head. A blanket will help him feel supported in a way that hands and arms alone cannot.

kimthecat likes this.
  4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Even when they have normal eyes, their eyesight isn't that great. It's designed for spotting movement and predators closing in on them, especially from above, but for everything else they rely on smell, hearing and whiskers. As she's had ulcerated eyes she will already have adapted to poor/no eyesight. As long as you don't move anything around too much and let her learn the lay of the land, she'll be fine.

My old girl went blind with cataracts in her last year or two, other than bumping into a few things, she was happy as larry!

Definitely monitor the healing process and licking - her sister may pull at her stitches.

5. Meghan

Meghan PetForums Newbie

Thankyou so much for the advice.. Martha is doing absolutely amazing, we had a hiccup with blood coming from her nose which frightened me but apparently its all relatively normal. Mabel has thankfully stopped licking her stitches (i think!!) and just lays snuggled next to her.
    She seems calm and relaxed this evening which i'm hoping is the start of her feeling so much better. I'm just hoping ive made the correct decision for her.

6. Leontiny

Leontiny PetForums Newbie

My bunny is halfblind, so the vet says she can see dark/bright light, but probably not much more. She is brown and not easy to see in the dark (I have an eye problem too) so at nighttime she must stay in her room.
    I also try not to remove anything in the flat.
    And the most important thing: since the diagnosis, I love her even more than before.

Good luck with your bunny!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice