UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw someone on here with one but i cant PM till i have done 25 posts so i hope someone sees this.

We want to get a puppy around May 2013 and have been looking into all the breeds and think we would like a Newfoundland. We tried to contact the only people on the KC list for our area but they never got back to us. We would really like to visit someone that has one that we could meet and chat to them about everything. Failing that anyone on here that could chat with me and tell me their thoughts on whether he would be a good fit for our family or not.

We live in Mid devon.
Its me and my husband and our two children. One will be 4 and the other 2. My husband had dogs in his previous marriage. Springer spaniel and a lab, and i grew up with 2 lurchers. I am a stay at home mum and we have two cars, and a spare room down stairs a bit like a utlility, all tiled and about 8x8m that is set aside for when we get our dog, with a door from outside next to a tap :D

Anyway, would like some advice. Look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If you like the idea of a day out, Discover Dogs presented by the Kennel Club is on at the Excel Centre in London on November 10th and 11th, and they'll have a Newfoundland stand with owners and breeders manning it so you can go and chat to them and ask lots of questions. It's a good chance to find out about lots of different breeds all at once too. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thats a great idea but,,,,the date. We have a hotel booked for that weekend and are visiting family. Also i have never been to London, country kid in london...scary thought lol

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I saw someone on here with one but i cant PM till i have done 25 posts so i hope someone sees this.

We want to get a puppy around May 2013 and have been looking into all the breeds and think we would like a Newfoundland. We tried to contact the only people on the KC list for our area but they never got back to us. We would really like to visit someone that has one that we could meet and chat to them about everything. Failing that anyone on here that could chat with me and tell me their thoughts on whether he would be a good fit for our family or not.

We live in Mid devon.
Its me and my husband and our two children. One will be 4 and the other 2. My husband had dogs in his previous marriage. Springer spaniel and a lab, and i grew up with 2 lurchers. I am a stay at home mum and we have two cars, and a spare room down stairs a bit like a utlility, all tiled and about 8x8m that is set aside for when we get our dog, with a door from outside next to a tap :D

Anyway, would like some advice. Look forward to hearing from you.
A newfoundland is the most adorable dog as far as I am concerned, but you have to realise that a young child is likely to get knocked over by mistake. A giant puppy with a toddler is hard work. On the other hand, they love children - hell, they love everybody!

If you look at my website, it will tell you all you need to know about the breed, and if you contact the Newfoundland Club they will be able to advise on a breeder, but you may have to travel a bit to get the right dog.

I am a little concerned about your description of a room set aside for the dog though. A newfoundland is not a dog to be restricted to one room and must be with the family or he/she will be miserable. If you have ideas of keeping a newfie separate, that will not work.

I also don't really know what having two cars has to do with anything.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
That's a shame! DD is also on at Crufts, which is at the NEC in Birmingham on the 7-10 March, and Newfoundlands are in the Working Group, so you could also go along on the Working Day and see lots of breeders there. :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the advice i will look at your website in a min. For the room, heck the dog is going to be wherever the kids are and we have a massive lounge. All i meant was with reagrds to wet dirty dog coming home from the river and things, the "keepign house tidy" etc isnt a big deal and it will be all set up for him if he wants a bit of quiet time away from the full on kids but it has no door on it and he can just wander in and out as he pleases. The two cars thing was because where we live there is no where to walk a dog and so it would be a quick car ride to wherever we were going. We would deffinately want the dog to be in the centre of the family and involved in everything.

A relative has a small lab that knocks the littleun over all the time lol. We are ok to travel and stay overnight to find the right dog, just browsing on some pet sale sites we saw some Kc register seller in Wales that had 5 generation certs, hip, scores, microchipped and first vacs done etc. So we would rather travel to someone like that then pop down the road to a puppy farm.

My main concerns are with hip problems ie whats the best food to feed to make sure they grow at a steady rate/ how much they eat on a rough average. I was looking at this one.
Fishmongers Adult Dog Food with Salmon and Potato 10kg by Pets at Home | Pets at Home

Its green on the dry food chart on this forum and within our budget, But is a brand specially for giant breeds better? should they have puppy food or will this make them grow too fast?

I will tell my hubby about the crufts and think we may go check that out in the spring. Look forward to hearing back from you all. We dont want to make the wrong decision and when we do get our puppy we want to get the right one at the right time for his forever home. Thats why we are waiting until May because we have a short break in feb and one in april, then nothing after that and we didnt want to get one now as i dont feel he wouldbe settled enough to put into kennels in feb.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I am breathing a sigh of relief! I was worried about the room set aside for the dog but as long as you realise that a newfie particularly has to be part of the family, you should do fine.

What people don't always realise is just how big they are. I am having to stand up to type this as Ferdie has laid his 12 stone in front of the desk and I can't get the chair there. No point trying to move him either! They do like to be under your feet!

All my dogs were raised on Royal Canin giant breed, first baby then puppy then junior. Now they have Royal Canin maxi light as they have been neutered so put on weight easier. Also, Ferdie never did take to the giant breed adult. I don't think they do the baby one any more. I am a great believer in giant or large breed puppy food, it gives them just the right amount of proteins so that they don't grow too fast.

The average hip score for a newfie is .25 so the lower the better. Mine are in the single figures and elbow scores should be 0:0 or as close to it as possible. And the parents should have had heart scans.

The best place to look is champdogs.co.uk - they are fussy who they allow to advertise and you can view the whole pedigree. Ferdie's breeder is Chateaunewf kennels and Diva's is Toosynewf, so anything with those in the pedigree with be good stock.

I would love to go to Discover Dogs but not sure my health will allow. I was all set to go last year, but my back gave out at the last minute and my cousin, who I was going with, informed me that she is allergic to dogs!

I might make it, you never know.

Do have a good look at the website though. It is 60 pages so a lot to take in, but I have tried to put in everything of value. Just to emphasise, the black ones are much calmer than the brown or landseer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've put your website onto favouritees so i can find it over the next couple months. I have read the Royal canin was best but how quick will one Adult go through a 15k bag? £50 a month is ok £50 a week isn't :lol:

It saying it has 28% protein i read on a site that Newfoundlands needed no more than 24% will that make much of a difference?

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I've put your website onto favouritees so i can find it over the next couple months. I have read the Royal canin was best but how quick will one Adult go through a 15k bag? £50 a month is ok £50 a week isn't :lol:
My two get through a 15 kg bag once a fortnight, so it works out at about £25 per week depending on where you buy. ~And that is between two of them. I get mine from Viovet online - they delivery the next day usually, even if you have the free delivery, and they charge £47 whereas the pet shop charges £58.

Whilst growing, the dog will probably eat more, but it will settle down. You have to be careful to get the food just right or they could put on weight really easily which is not good for their joints.

I do know that my Ferdie's breeder always has used RC. As it happens it is the only thing Ferdie can eat - anything else gives him the squelchies!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, thats great put that food on the list. We have plenty of months to get everything ready so just want to be super organised. with regards to collars and leash, do they make them that size? lol. Whats the best type to get? Same for water and food bowls is it a case of buying the biggest one i can find? Or starting small and increasing as he goes?

What is the longest walk that should be done in the summer with say a year old? Would walks be better if they were on the beach or by rivers for swimming? Or are they just as happy with walks along grass and pavements?

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Just a note of caution re champdogs, I've seen a rescue dog advertised for stud on there previously, it is a good website with lots of good breeders, but there are some dodgy breeders on there, so always ask some one with knowledge about a breed to look at litter details for you if you can.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Just a note of caution re champdogs, I've seen a rescue dog advertised for stud on there previously, it is a good website with lots of good breeders, but there are some dodgy breeders on there, so always ask some one with knowledge about a breed to look at litter details for you if you can.
That is a shame they have dropped their standards. I used to post pug litters for someone on there and they were so fussy, it would be tragic if they lost that.

OP I can ask our breeder if she knows of anyone in your area. She is in Norfolk and they don't breed often, but then none of the good breeders do. You have to be prepared to wait so might be an idea to get on a waiting list now.

Newfies love water. I wish I lived near a beach, but I am restricted to the lakes at the country park as Ferdie doesn't settle well in the car. I am hoping though when I get a new car, as I don't trust this one to get me that far!

You have to be very careful in the summer, as they are extremely prone to heatstroke. If they are near water though, should be fine.

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
OK, thats great put that food on the list. We have plenty of months to get everything ready so just want to be super organised. with regards to collars and leash, do they make them that size? lol. Whats the best type to get? Same for water and food bowls is it a case of buying the biggest one i can find? Or starting small and increasing as he goes?

What is the longest walk that should be done in the summer with say a year old? Would walks be better if they were on the beach or by rivers for swimming? Or are they just as happy with walks along grass and pavements?
There is a member on here who has an online shop called Big Dog World - dog food, treats, toys, beds, coats for large and giant breed dogs where you should be able to get everything the dog needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.