Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newfies with Hip Dysplasia - help wanted

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Newfies, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Newfies

Newfies PetForums Newbie

my lovely 9 mth Newfy pup has just had a TPO (3 days ago) and she's suffering badly, anyone with experience out there? would love some words of advice in getting her thru it? :(

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about you poor young Newfie. I havwe never had a dog with this problem, but my friend has. She is a rescue collie x that he has had from a pup, at about a year old she could hardly walk, so her hips were x-rayed, they were terrible.

He made the decision very early on to do the best he could for her, give her as normal life as possible and when it all became too bad have her pts.

He has been taking her to hydrotherapy every week for the last 5 years. she also has a dialy doses of Green Lipped Muscles, she also wears a Bio-flow collar and is on a good quality food.

She is now six and so far is leading a normal active life, she also does agility, just at pet dog level not competition.

Hope some of this will help with your pup and give you some hope.

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about your 'baby' I agree with Jenny's comments above hydrotherapy is good for them because it helps to build the muscle up around the hip joint, I have also seen a 'spine' paralized dog live a fairly active life for another 5 years with the help of a bio-flow collar, he was unable to use his hind legs after an accident but after help from a chiropracter AND the bioflow collar he was back up on his feet.

Good luck but I hope you let the breeder know there was problems.

4. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I really believe Bioflows work, I always wear a wrist band, previous to getting one i used to get really bad headaches, after a couple of years wearing my first one it broke, I decided it was mumbo jumbo so didn't get another, after a month the headaches returned, got a new wristband and they went again, I wouldn't be without one now, ever.

5. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

We have 2 labs both 12 months old and Daisy has been diagnosed with ocd a condition that affects the elbows due to cartilledge damage as she grew. our vet said its quite common in large dogs during there growing stage , the x rays showed a slight joint irregularity meaning it could devellop into arthritus , we took the descision not to operate as this has not been proven in all cases to be of much benefit so she had some injections of a cartilledge boosting substance and we were told to put her on a strong dose of glucasamine 1000 mg a day . this was at christmas and i must say the glucasamine does seem to be making a difference she hobbles less frequently and only really when she has been racing around for ages , Green lipped muscle is also a good one as it has all the benefits of glucasamine with the added bonus of a natural pain killing affect. I got my tablets from a vitamin site on the net called simply supplements they are in guernsey they have a buy one get one free deal on at the moment and free p&p think it was £8.99 for 160 tablets 360 in total with the free ones . Cant do your baby any harm to try her on them may take a few weeks to get in the system . Hope it doesnt get too bad .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice