Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

newby in need of puppy advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by widget10, Jun 28, 2009.

1. widget10

widget10 PetForums Newbie

hi all, my names emma and i have just bought a labrador puppy, hes 9 weeks old and we have named him Cooper ( my partner is a big fan of classic minis lol) anyway i am in need of a bit of advice if anyone can help, firstly he has been really good at sleeping on his own and has his own room and bed which he loves, he doesnt cry at all at night and know when its bedtime but during the day he crys constantly if he know were in the front room and hes on his own, i let him out a lot but i have 2 small children so i hav to pop him in his room from time to time when making dinner, changin nappies, doin washing etc and when i do he yelps and yelps till hes let back in, im worried the neighbours will think we're toturin him, any ideas on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated. Secondly, He likes to bite feet, nothing seems to stop him, ive tried giving him his own toys to distract him but it doesnt work, hes ok if were sat still but as soon as anyone moves hes up and chasin their feet which isnt great when my littlens are on the floor playing, Lastly, he doesnt seem to eat very much, i dont know if this is normal but i feed him 4 times a day and each time he'll have one or two bites while im stood with him then as soon as i leave he starts cryin, ive tried stayin with him to see if he will eat but then he just wants to play so im a bit stuck, I really hope someone can help cos hes such a beautiful puppy its jst these 3 little issues that i could do with sorting out. Look forward to hearing from everyone, Thanks, Emma xx

2. rona

rona Guest

#2 rona, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2009
  3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your puppy, coopers a great name.

All 3 issues are common young puppy issues, he is using your feet as toys even better when the toys move:D, you say you give him toys to distract him, have you distracted him with a yelp,ow loudly, anything to get his attention first then give him the toy when he stops praise him when takes the toy praise him.

The others are linked i think he wont eat his dinner as he thinks you are going to leave him and he cries when he is in another room when he is put away leave/ give him toys that he only has at this time good chewy toys like kongs they can be stuffed also squeaky toys labs usually love them. When he is quiet and i know with little ones this might be a bit tricky, as soon as he is quiet go straight to him its very inportant this is done emmediatly if you can and give him a treat with lots of praise try and get this to happen about times before you allow him out and never even if its his time to come innto you let him out if he is being noisy, he will only see this as a reward for making a fuss.

4. dohaspecial

dohaspecial PetForums Junior

is the room completely seperate from the space you and the family are in? i found that when i moved Deefer's area into a central area of my apartment that he settled a lot better than when he was put in a seperate room.

He knows its 'Deefer time' and that he has to stay on his side of the playpen which partitions the space but still feels involved as he can see us most of the time and hear us.

just a thought. plus as Rona says its early days and he will get used to the different environments he has to live in with time.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Wait until he starts chewing! :D

Everyone has given you great advice, you're in very safe hands here :)

6. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Do try and stay with him as much as you can as he will be missing his litter mates thats why he is crying.

7. widget10

thanks for all your replies :) yes his room is toally seperate from the one were in, its a small conservatory i have on the back of my house, thought that this would be nice for him as it has plenty of light and also theres a window into the kitchen so hes not totally cut off, he has toys in there but none that he only has in there, we tend to bring his toys into the front room when he comes in so ill go n buy a couple of special toys just for when hes in there to see if that helps, ill also start goin to praise him when he is quiet in his room.
    Ill try sayin a loud OW!! when he bites before i try to distract him with a toy and hopefully he will learn soon lol. Thanks everyone for your advice, ill let you know how we get on, no doubt ill be back with more questions soon :). Emma xxx

8. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

as mentioned the nipping is a young puppy thing, and he finds the feet so much more interesting because they are moving. What we do with our pups is we say 'Ouch!' very loudly and then turn away from them. They must learn this is not exceptable. If they persist, you do it again. It is quite amusing as they really look worried that they have hurt you when you say it :D :p
    The eating thing, maybe you are feeding him too much 4 times a day 1 meal over what we feed our dogs. It seems as though he is taking it for granted, its there so often, he feels he doesn't have to eat. Narrow it down to 3 while he is still so young and i think you will find he will eat more. give him food in the morning about 7 or 8 depends when you get up, lunch at about 12, then dinner at 6 or 7. Maybe also tire him out alot more. So he needs his energy boost. Or it could just be the fact that he isn't keenon the food. What are you feeding him on?
    The yelping is most likely anxiety. Make sure he is calm and quiet before you leave the room. Whether he is lying down or just sitting there. Don't shut the door on him while he still wants out. As this creates stress. Leave a toy in there for him, so he can keep himself occupied. Do not enter the room while he is still crying, because he will then learn 'Ah! when i cry she comes back', you want complete silence before you enter the room again. If it is silent and you come back in, praise him and let him out.
    Congrats on getting a pup btw :D
    Everyone seems to be getting labs recently!!
    We breed them, and they are a lovely breed! Good choice! x

9. cdcclub

cdcclub PetForums Member

agree with advice already given, 9 weeks is still young and he is still to get used to being in his new home so I wouldn't be expecting to much at this stage as they still need alot of contact in order for them to feel secure.

Try building up his alone time gradually as it is far less upsetting for them in the long run, I also used an old item of clothing for my girl so she could still smell my scent which can sometimes lessen the distress.

This phase tends not to last too long as your puppy becomes more settled in your home.

As far as the going for feet is concerned this too will lessen over time. I was lucky enough to have kids that were old enough to understand what we were teaching our dog.

When our dog began chasing at our feet we would just stand still and turn away from her, if she pulled at trousers we would lift her away give her a toy to play with and carry on with what we were doing.

Our girl took a while to get over her feet and leg obsession but that is purely down to the fact she is a collie and they are known for being ankle bitters at the best of times.

Most important advice I can give you is just enjoy your pup and not overly worry about things at this young stage, its like kids they are not little for very long and as long as you are consistent and loving he will come along fine, the more stress they sense from you the more upset they become if that makes sense.

one more thing please can we have some puppy pictures to drool over:D

10. haeveymolly

Good luck with it, you will get there he will learn labs are pretty smart, has he got his bed in that room it might be a good idea to use just one room the room where he sleeps being the room he goes to when having time out like you do if he was crated.

#10 haeveymolly, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  11. widget10

thanks for ure advice, to the poster who asked im feeding him pedigree chum puppy complete, we were given it by the breeder who sed thats what theyd been feeding him, maybe if cuttin his meals to three doesnt work i could try him on wet food?? or is dry better ? He does seem pretty clever, he knows where his bed is and from the first night we bought him home he knew the newspaper that we put on the floor was for his toilet and he used it straight away, we've only had one accident on the carpet but that was cos he was excited lol. ive only taken a couple of pics so far ( im sure they'll be hundreds more lol) but ill pop them on here for you to see him. He's adorable :) and already part of the family. emma xxx

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. haeveymolly

He's adorable, try a more natural diet, i always feed burns dry with a little water.

13. cdcclub

cdcclub PetForums Member

aww that picture of him sleeping is soo sweet

14. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

To me wet food is not very good for a dog. But thats only my opinion
    As mentioned, use only biscuits and sometimes (if you can bare the smell) you could use tripe, which is good, we feed our dogs on it, not soley, but with biscuits.
    Our dogs are fed on Science plan, which is top best with something (i cant remember now ) Dogs love it, although it may be dear, our kennel always recommends it to people who buy our puppies or are asking advice.
    Good luck and keep us updated
    He is a little sweetheart!
    We have 2 labs atm bonnie and Sadie who are both working dogs

15. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

The advice you have had has just about covered everything i think, i just wanted to say that Cooper is a fantastic name!! ;)

16. widget10

thanks :) ill stick with the dry food n c how we get on. I think he likes the name Cooper aswell he seems to respond to it already :) xxxx

17. dylanpark25

dylanpark25 PetForums Newbie

Here's an amazing dog training videos over at dogsology.com that has opened my eyes to this exciting and unorthodox dog training. if you are like most of us, you must have been spoiling your cute coop to the point where it has gotten you now... take a look at the videos and let me know how it goes ok? it has helped me really well.

18. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Aww, Cooper is gorgeous! We have a 13 week old choc lab and he still 'nips', just one of those puppy things!

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice