Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newborn kitten weights and restless mum

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by NicoleW, Apr 15, 2011.

1. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

So some of you know Slinky Malinky had 6 kittens this morning and the weights are as follows

Boy1: 91g
    Boy2: 109g
    Boy3: 114g
    Boy4: 118g
    Boy5: 112g
    Girl1: 104g

I probably will keep a closer eye on boy number 1.

Problem is, mum keeps coming downstairs and meowing at us until someone sits upstairs with her, which we do. She's gone through a whole cow worth of meat so far, so just feeding her on demand. If she keeps getting up and won't settle on her own, would it be okay to bring the box with the kittens downstairs in the living room with us?

2. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

You could try that, but mum may very well pick them up one by one and carry them upstairs. When I was younger and our cat had kittens under the bed, we tried to move them somewhere more accessible but still quiet. And she just moved them all back! Then after a few days she decided to put them all in a cupboard in the kitchen! Took us ages to find em, she did it in the night!!!

3. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

LOL!

When I took one of the kittens to weigh mum went a bit panicky and picked up the kitten in such a hurry to get it back into the box that she hurt the poor thing

4. deedeedee

deedeedee PetForums Senior

One of our girls had kittens 11 days ago - for the first 24 hours she howled on and off - she did eventually settle but I did have to stay with her. Some of them go into 'panic mode' and need you with them at first until they get used to it.

She is great with the kittens now.

Try to stay with her if you can until she is more confident.:)

D x

5. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

NicoleW first of all I did laugh at your cats name, one of mine is called Harry, but his nickname is Stinky Malinky (he has really stinky poos) and he answers to Stinky, but not Harry.

Personally I would sit with Mum and try to settle her and the kittens down rather than disturbing her by moving her box and babies.

6. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Not sure what to suggest with this one :confused: as skittle is so relaxed you wouldn't think this was her first litter!!!

Her and babies were moved into a cat box to go to the vets, which she quite happily did, and as long as she could see what I was doing with the babies she was fine with it, even the vet commented on how good she was in allowing people to touch the babies, as long as she can see em and they don't cry lol :D

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

she should be with you 24/7 and you should sleep downstairs with her, I dont leave mine, only for the loo, it sill stress her a hell of alot and leaving the kittens to come find you isnt good either.

keep her with you and the kittens, where-ever you are most she Needs to be with you.

weigh them the same time tom, Id prob top up the bigger ones and move them out of the way for the little un to get more of mums milk.

8. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

She's currently downstairs with us, but tonight she'll be in ourbedroom next to our bed. I think we'll try and alternate over the next week to stay with her upstairs.

Apart from her meowing she's doing okay as far as we can tell, I knwo we shouldn't intervine too much but we do try and put the smallest one on every hour because it is quite small compared to the rest.

9. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

That isnt to much, if one needs help you have to do it, when you weigh in tom, ID top up the 2 biggest and leave the lil'un on her to fged as its better for him to get mums milk. Put him on the nipples thats the 2 biggest normally go for, that will be the best milk supply, they arent silly ;)

Would be better just to sleep on the sofa and keep her next in one place, but as long as she has food/water/litter tray and her babies and you next to her, she is young and they do need ALOT of comfort and help, mine stop feeding if I so much as move, meg wouldnt go near them unless I was next to her and she was on me, but its the least you can do really, if thats what they want thats what they get, little one was a bit more paws on and I take a step back, but if they want you with her, if she keeps leaving them, in the end she might not go back! :(

Just bring her downstairs with all of you so she is part of the family and knows that you are there! :)

10. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

I'm worried about too much noise and possible infections passed onto the kittens. I was planning on leaving her upstairs for the first 4 weeks then bringing them all downstairs so the kittens are a bit more stable.

Throughout her pregnancy and it's worse now I have a big fear that we're going to wake up or going to see them and they are all going to be dead and it'll be my fault.

Got any spare cotton wool? :)

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

lol 1. the kittens are deaf ;) 2. they need to get used to noise to be 'bomb proof' :D

2, what infection? Do you mean people coming-going? I dont know the layout of your house, do you wear shoes in the house? Thats one of the main things as it May bring in inefections from outside cats.

No shoes are ever allowed in my house as, well, they are worn outside and outside is dirty, why would you have them in a house?! But no one comes and goes either lol I guess if you have alot of visitors, everyone should use anti-bac gel on their hands, I have 6bottles downstairs and 6 upstairs...good god Im showing my ocds now arent I :eek:

Also I use this:
    Johnson's Clean and Safe Disinfectant for Cats Trigger Spray 500ml | Pets at Home

use in trays, if you have wooden floors, not sure how often you clean them, mine get done about 5times a day + :eek: and its safe for cats.

NicoleW likes this.
  12. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

We don't have shoes on in the house, no carpets either apart from upstairs it's all wooden or vinyl in the kitchen.

I mop twice a day, currently just with washing up liquid but I bleach the kitchen floor. We still have tubs of hand gel from when my baby was brought home from neonatal.

Aww I can't stop staring at them, she's really ignoring the smallest one it's often in the corner on it's own away from mum and the rest :(

13. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

dont use bleach :eek: get that stuff I just suggusted it kills 99% of cat infections/problems!!

Oh know that is not a good sign for them to ignore a baby, esp if she nudges him out of the way, can you give him a to up now and keep him warm then put him back into the pile asap? Id do that, try nad perk him up,. have you got any nutri drops?

14. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

We keep putting him back, she lets him suck and she lets him be with her but I think he might be a bit slow and not realising where she is.

Got some nutri drops yes. Going to get some of that disinfectant tomorrow, we have some people (family) coming tomorrow so will be with her upstairs for most of the day

15. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Id top him up now and move the others and put him near the best nipple, once they go downhill and mum ignores them :frown2: have to act fast!

16. NicoleW

NicoleW PetForums VIP

If I can seperate the two fighting kittens over the best teat. Thanks for your advice, will tell my partner to as I'm going to bed now.

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Id top him up now!!! dont leave it??

18. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

It's possible that the little one may not be viable, but too early to give up on him yet. Putting him on the nipple is certainly worth a try.

I think you'll find Mum will have settled with the babies quite soon, try not to worry too much about that. My first ever girl brought her first ever litter into my bed, persistently, I ended up having to sleep on the floor. At the other extreme I had one cat who would not leave the kittens for anything except food and water, looked over her shoulder all the time she was eating and drinking, only used the litter tray once every 36 hours so that it went straight from completely clean to utterly disgusting, and she kept that up for four weeks (and that was in a kitten pen in a spare bedroom, with no other cats allowed upstairs, and it wasn't her first litter). They are all different.

Liz

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

did you feed him??? Id also get up at about 3am and re-do it then again at 7am, still giving him time to suckle from mum.

remember to keep him warm and give him nurti drops!

20. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

sound a good weight must be a big breed what breed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice