Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newborn kitten, please help

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ElizaGrey, Jan 31, 2021.

1. ElizaGrey

ElizaGrey PetForums Newbie

Hi, my cat gave birth to 5 kittens today. However the third one born looks like he has been having difficulty breathing. When he was first born he was taking long hard breathes and hasn't yet latched on to mum to feed. I called the vets and they were quite useless in giving me any kind of advice. Their response was basically if the kitten hasn't fed within a couple of hours, they usually don't survive. I tried putting a cotton bud in his mouth that had been dabbed in kitten milk, but it's really hard to get his mouth open. I don't want to use too much force... When he breathes, he's makes a noise. Does anyone have any advice they can offer please until I can call a different vets tomorrow.

2. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

Hi. I think you should call a vet before tomorrow - that sounds serious x

3. ElizaGrey

I've called two already, both seem reluctant to help really. They have only advised that it may be to do with fluid on the lungs in which I can place the kitten upside down and rub his chest. Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

4. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

Oh that's such a shame. There are people on this forum who have a lot of experience with kittens, hopefully someone will come along soon with some advice for you. Keeping everything crossed for the little one x

5. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I assume you are not an experienced breeder. If a kitten is born with difficult, noisy breathing, the best thing to do is to swing them but if you don't know how to do it, it can be dangerous. It is usually a sign of fluid in the lungs and if not dealt with immediately will almost inevitably lead to the kitten dying. The only time I had to swing a kitten, I found I had to do it over a heat source and he survived without any lasting ill effect but because your kitten has been struggling for some time I think the only thing to do is to let him slip away. It is kinder than taking him to a vet unless they are prepared to use gas to anaesthetise before putting to sleep. Have you checked to see if he has a cleft palate?

6. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

Hi Eliza
    How is your poorly kitten today?

7. ElizaGrey

He's still with us. I think he may have latched on to mum a few times this morning but it wasn't for long. Mum hasn't rejected him and still grooms him so I'm hoping that's a good sign. His breathing alternates from relatively normal to the noisy sharp breathing. As he's the smallest of the litter I'm wondering if maybe his lungs are just not fully developed and am just hoping in time he can get stronger.

No I'm not an experienced breeder. Mostly everything I have done so far is from research on Google and the advice from vets. But for this specific incident, I found it hard to find any information online and as mentioned before the vets were not that interested in helping but more interested in getting my queen neutered.
    I am unable to get his mouth open to see inside, when he cries or looks for his mum to feed, his mouth only opens a tiny bit.

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Are you weighing him? Once a day, at about the same time in grams.

There's very little a vet can do for a newborn as they are so tiny & fragile.

spotty cats likes this.
  9. ElizaGrey

Ok, so I put some diluted kitten milk on a cotton bud (qtip) and gave it to him, he was suckling but then milk bubbles started coming out of his nose. Would that suggest he has a cleft palate?
    It's not possible for me to check in his mouth, mum is being very protective and carries him back if he cries.

10. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

It does sound as though it could be a cleft palate or some other abnormality. As Oriental Slave said, you need to weigh the kitten at the same time every day. Then you will find out if he has a problem with feeding.

11. ElizaGrey

Ok. I did try weighing them all this morning, but it wasn't very accurate cause I couldn't find my kitchen scales, so had to use something smaller. By the time I got to the second, mum was getting concerned and carried them back so I left it for today. I'll try get them all weighed tomorrow and go from there.

Thank you

12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You need to take him out of the room & shut the door so you can check, but it does sound like a cleft and sadly nearly always the best thing for these kittens is euthanasia

spotty cats likes this.
  13. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Surgery can be done in some cases of cleft palate, and tube feeding done to bypass the mouth until surgery.

Are these pedigree kittens? Your mentor should be able to assist with a good vet.

ElizaGrey likes this.
  14. ElizaGrey

No not pedigree.

I've managed to get an appointment later today with the vets

15. ElizaGrey

We took him to the vets. Unfortunately we had to put him to sleep. The lady said it was the most severe cleft palate she had seen and bottle feeding him until he was old enough to have the op wasn't an option. So upset.

16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. Thinking of you with sympathy.

R.I.P. precious baby kitten xxx

ElizaGrey likes this.
  17. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

So sad to hear this. RIP sweet baby xxx

ElizaGrey likes this.
  18. Kidlington

Kidlington PetForums Junior

So sad. Hope the rest of the litter are thriving as is mum.

ElizaGrey likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice