Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cheekyscrip, Jan 14, 2020.

1. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Just a suggestion, don’t get offended but when a new poster comes asking for some advice could we welcome them first and give kindly the advice they ask for without bashing them?
    If we start telling them that they should not have that cat, or not indoor/outdoor or criticise them right from their first post we will not have many new members.

Not everyone is so knowledgeable as some of you, let them be...

Surely if they stay they will benefit from your experience, but be good to poor newbies in cat world.

Even if they ask what mix of breeds might be in their moggy?

*cheeky grabs Garfield and hides under the Rock...

Ali71, Etienne, xblackmagicx and 18 others like this.
  2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Great advice. I always welcome newcomers then give advice. They have come here for help and I agree there is no need to be rude to them. If I cannot give advice I just usually make sure whatever the problem it’s not too serious (even though to the poster it is serious ) and leave it to other posters to give advice. I have needed a lot of advice over the years I’ve been I’ve been on here, so I do understand.
    Viv xx

cheekyscrip and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I quite agree @cheekyscrip. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

ewelsh, vivien, cheekyscrip and 3 others like this.
  4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Excellent post. Shall we have a sweep on how long it takes to close this thread? :Hilarious

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Ermmm, why would anyone close this thread ? I agree with everything ( so far )

vivien, cheekyscrip and lymorelynn like this.
  6. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

So far, exactly. :)

vivien and cheekyscrip like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

:Watching:)

8. Gallifreyangirl

Gallifreyangirl PetForums VIP

Totally agree and good advice.

9. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

Also in agreement

10. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Absolutely in agreement, @cheekyscrip :) We were all newbies once...

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  11. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Do you think anyone who's not in agreement will admit to not being in agreement? ;)

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Totally agree too. Often eyes roll sometimes but for me we are here to accept the situation advice and move on to greater stuff x

13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Me! I don't agree :p Baptism by fire I say! If you can't handle the heat, get out of the kitchen!! Run 'em all off!! :Rage

Okay.... maybe we can try to be nice too. :Penguin

In all seriousness though, I have to commend some of you on your patience. Sometimes I find it really hard not to :eek::eek::eek: and o_Oo_Oo_O and :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead at some posts. Yeah, yeah, I know I can read and not comment, but like recently a poster didn't know their husky was entire and that he had supposedly impregnated his littermate? It takes more fortitude than I have to not say "how the hell do you miss a set of testicles of a dog the size of a husky?!" And more importantly how do you not notice the dogs mating. They're not exactly subtle and a tie can last a good while. It's kind of hard not to notice what's going on!!

Some days I manage to scroll past, but not always... What can I say, I'm a work in progress! :Angelic

14. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I will also admit to being a little brusque in my impatience. I do often come across harsher than I intend, and believe it or not I've more patience now than I ever did :eek:

I would politely request for an addition to @cheekyscrip's post, that the forum didn't dive on breeders quite in the same way as has been happening of late. The forum as a whole has been a bit snipey over the last little while (I fully hold my hands up to my participation in some of this), the internet as a whole could do with more kindness.

The result of all that waffling is yes, I'm in agreement :)

Ali71, moomoowawa and cheekyscrip like this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

IME this forum is very supportive of ethical, responsible breeding.
    Irresponsible breeding does get called out, as I think it should. We don't have to be unkind about it, but I would hate for irresponsible and/or unethical practices to go unchallenged. At the end of the day it's the animals that suffer. Someone has to speak for them.

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Of course we give advice and support, when needed, but I believe some situations do call for plain speaking.

As 02.0 already mentioned, when we have someone post whose littermates have mated and the bitch is 8 months old, we're not going to say "Oh how adorable, please do post pics of the gorgeous little inbred pups born to a puppy mother".

The advice was to get the bitch to a Vet straight away.

Do we really have to befriend someone before we state the obvious?

Lurcherlad, Rufus15 and Magyarmum like this.
  17. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Its nice to be nice to people, but its difficult to not speak plainly to people who are irresponsible or have clearly done zero research before getting a cat. However, when you do speak plainly you do not need to be rude - typed words however can often be taken out of context unfortunately.

18. Carsonspride

Carsonspride PetForums Junior

Love the forum. Check it out every morning whilst having my cup of tea. Have done so for probably last 5 years. Have learnt a lot from it but like the vast majority of your viewers resist from posting as any time I do everyone jumps down your throat. Where have most of the old posters gone and why? Not hard to know. We have vets on here whos input is invaluable - picked on and now no longer post. We had my favourite, funniest poster who lived with his (also posting wife ) out in the snow with there dogs. Also gone. I rest my case. But will probably be critisised,

moomoowawa and Ali71 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice