Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

newbies please read ......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DKDREAM, Nov 29, 2012.

1. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Welcome to Pet forums!

I hope you enjoy your time with this kind and caring community of animal lovers. Please don't be afraid to ask any questions about your lovely pets, even if they seem stupid, we are all here to learn and discuss about animals :) I hope like me you will eventually make some valued friends along the way. This forum has some very understanding and kind members.

2. TheMouse

TheMouse Banned

Cool, thank you, appreciated! :)

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

And a few nutters ;) :D :D

Most of them are harmless too :D

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

hehe yeah I forgot about them. :devil:

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Then you have people like ME :D

Agree, lots of people who know their stuff but will say people aren't afraid to speak their mind. The internet and forums are a medium where things can be taken the wrong way, especially if people are better at face to face communication than writing.

As with most forums you can actually help when writing posts:

• There is a search link on the between New Posts and Quick Links. If wanting to ask a question you may want to quickly look to see if the topic has been answered before. The advanced search may be used if you want to restrict your search to a specific section, such as only dogs or only cats. It can be disheartening to have to answer the same question again and again although people still do it which shows what a nice bunch we are.

• The forum is divided into sections. Although it may seem confusing at first starting a new thread in the relevant section will mean it will be seen by those people interested in the topic more easily.

• Some useful posts are at the top of each section called stickies. I would recommend people look at what exists when looking at a new section which should give a better understanding of the purpose of it.

• Meaningful titles will mean people who know the answer are more likely to read the thread and answer. "Help !!!" is not a meaningful title and and many people will not read it who could have the answer you are looking for.

• When responding to a thread try to keep the discussion relevant to the the topic originally being discussed although we all fail at that at times. :eek:

• Try to make your posts grammatically correct but at the same time be considerate that we all have different levels of writing experience and some may have English as a second language. If writing a lot of information use paragraphs to break it up. A wall of text is not easily read.

• You may well see abbreviations used which you do not know. OH for example often means Other Half, for dogs DA may mean Dog Aggressive. If you do not know ask. May seem stupid and embarrassing but if you don't know it's likely someone else doesn't either. When using an abbreviation for the first time in the thread it can be useful to type it out in full with the abbreviation in brackets beside it. Example "My Other Half (OH) is brilliant" although this is rarely done. I feel it's more important when using technical or medical terms: Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) for example.

• Don't be afraid, if trying to be humorous, to use the smilies on the side. People can't see your face and they can indicate the intention. :p :D ;) are probably my most used.

• Read through your post before you submit it. You can sometimes catch some very obvious mistakes.

Enjoy your time on these forums.

#5 Goblin, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  6. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

If you see a member called 'Beyond Reach' patrolling the forum, please adjust your 'profanity filter' to the maximum level :thumbsup:

7. DT

DT Banned

now you are beginning to scare me!:eek:

8. SidneyFrankie

SidneyFrankie PetForums Member

Deffently agree with you OP.

I was reccomended this forum by someone at work, and I've found it the most accepting, friendly forum I've come across. :D

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Beware of weirdos...

[​IMG]

10. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Oi, Rona!

I'm not harmless!

Oh no, hang on, I'm a weirdo, not a nutter :confused:

:laugh:

11. buttonmac

buttonmac PetForums Newbie

I joined the forum in May and have used past threads as to gain information on many topics . I have not posted much, hence still having a newbie prof,and sometimes the threads can be a bit intimidating (so a bit nervous of responding). But as in day to day life you cannot always bounce into people's life without first gaining a rapport?
    Thanks
    Buttonmac

12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Try not to be nervous, your opinion is as good as anyone else's :)

13. Muze

Muze PetForums VIP

I've always found this forum to be exceptionally understanding, compared to some other dog related forums anyway!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice