Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie - to crate or not to crate?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mccjen, May 10, 2017.

1. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Hello! I'm jen.
    We're a family of 4 and are picking up our boxer pup mid june.
    I'm trying to get as prepared as I can before she arrives.
    I had great danes as a child growing up - but we never crated them - they were huge! And crating wasn't really popular then.
    I've read various articles from various sources regarding the benefits of crating - but I'm finding it all a bit confusing.
    I can see the benefits in toilet training, safety for pup etc. But I can't shake off the feeling it's a bit mean?
    I work 2 days a week and can come home at lunch to let pup out and play. I have also been in touch with a local dog walker who will visit in the afternoon to play, let out etc.
    Any experiences of working and crating? How does your routine work?
    Any tips on how to introduce our pup to the crate from the start - she'll be almost 9 weeks old when we pick her up.
    Thankyou

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I'd 100% crate, far safer for a pup to be in a crate than exposing itself to risk when unsupervised. After all it would be far meaner for the pup to chew wires and electrocute itself, choke on something etc. Plus it tends to make separation training far easier. It is also very helpful to have a dog that is used to being confined to a crate should they injure themselves, should they be admitted into a vets, if you ever go to show shows/events where they need to be confined etc.

Meezey and Mccjen like this.
  3. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

If introduced properly (...and not abused), they are anything but mean.
    Giving puppy - and eventually dog - its own place to be comfortable, relaxed and safe is a wonderful thing.
    Helps to reduce stress of it should she ever need to be kept in the vets, kennels, groomers etc too :)

Fleur and Mccjen like this.
  4. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Thankyou
    I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed in general at the moment. We have been researching various dog breeds since before Christmas to decide which breed would be best for us - and us for them.
    I just really want to get it right. I want to bring the pup up responsibly and properly but I've got my knickers in a twist about crating, the best food, housebreaking etc. I think I've read so much I'm all muddled up!

5. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

They have to be introduced correctly, but all in all I think they are great providing pup a safe place and a place to get away from it all as well. As said crate training is always useful for illness or injury. Also travelling, we travel a lot with our dogs and I think crates give them a sense of home as it's something they are used too.

Great to see you've done so much research looking forward to seeing her :)

Mccjen likes this.
  6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I've never crated for extended periods when i've been out to work - I prefer to use baby gates or tall pen to prevent access to areas pup shouldn't be.
    I do however crate train my pups - they travel in the car in a crate, they are crated if we have workmen in or the dogs are getting stressed by lots of visitors, it's good to make sure a dog is happy in a crate incase they ever need to spend time in one recovering from an injury or operation.
    Mine also sleep over night in their crates.
    Dogs sleep a lot but the nap and are always aware of their surroundings and will frequently get up, walk around, stretch, change position etc so the crate must be big enough for your dog to do these things.
    I do like crates and they are useful tools much like a cot or playpen keeps a human baby/toddler safe overnight or for short periods during the day.

Jamesgoeswalkies and Mccjen like this.
  7. benfalkner11

benfalkner11 "Life will be more happy"

Absolutely CRATE! :)

Mccjen likes this.
  8. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Thankyou she's a beauty. She'll fit right in with my crazy lot x

Meezey likes this.
  9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Have you chose a name yet?

10. Mccjen

Mccjen PetForums Junior

Not yet x we're struggling with that too! Lol!
    She's flashy red with black mask. Currently on the table are- Jessie, rosie, Rosa, Luna, ruby..... and felaney my 5 yr old sons request... big Manchester United fan

Meezey likes this.
  11. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

I'm currently crate training my puppy. I suffer guilt when we go out and leave her in the crate but I know it's the best place for her to be safe. I would recommend using a crate just so puppy has somewhere quiet to retreat to if they need to though mine doesn't now cos she associates it with being locked up lol.

12. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

A crate is a must for a young puppy. It helps to keep them safe and your precious things intact when you're unable to watch them. It massively helps with toilet training!

My puppy is currently 5 months old and we bought him home at 10 weeks. He's only had around 10 accidents in the house, and haven't had any for a month now and this is all thanks to a crate.

We never use the crate as a punishment, we taught him it's a place to rest, calm down, and play with toys/chews when we're busy. We regularly give him small treats when he's inside and calm, to continue to re-enforce that we like that behaviour.

Our breeder started crate training her litter and started to put them in there for nap times and eventually overnight, so they get used to it and start to associate it with a place to rest. You can speak to your breeder and see if they do something similar. There are plenty of videos on Youtube that shows you how to introduce your puppy to the crate. It pretty much starts of with letting your puppy sniff around it, play with it, then place treats and toys in there (without closing the door) and let him just hang out in there. Eventually, move on to closing the door, and then leaving the room/house while your puppy is in the crate.

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We never crated our dogs and preferred a safe room, preferably behind a baby gate as some dogs don't like being shut in.

Definitely introduce it slowly and positively.

14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Then it's not crate training as a positive experience, which is the aim.

If you feel guilty is that because you know she is unhappy being crated which, given your last sentence would seem to be so?

If they don't go into the crate eagerly and are then happy to be in there, they aren't "crate trained" IMO.

Maybe go right back to basics and start again, before serious anxiety sets in?

15. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

An hour after typing this she went into her crate for a sleep so maybe she is better than I thought. I feel guilt about leaving her in general I think. I'm gonna make sure to give her a treat everytime she goes in the crate from now on to make sure she's positive about it.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice