Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie taken in staffie boxer X prevoiusly living on street with homeless.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Roscoepeko, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Roscoepeko

Roscoepeko PetForums Newbie

Hi All,

Really could do with some advice if someone could be so kind.

A little background 1st - My girlfriend and I rehomed a 5 month (ish) old Border Terrier Lab X which we rehomed some 18 months ago, its our first dog and whilst a handfull and very energetic is growing up to be a lovely dog whom is dearly loved.

So whist out on a night out Friday whilst my girlfriend was chatting to a busker a couple of homeless guys came over and also began chatting, with them was a rather low looking dog which we belive to be a staffie boxer cross, the guys in question had aquired him that evening from another homeless person whom was not looking after the dog, they took the dog (with consent for £20 apparently) but could not keep in as they were staying at a Hostel which didn't allow pets...you might guess where this is going ....

So after reimbursing them with the £20 my girlfriend and I found an accomodating taxi driver whom took us back home. The dog "Bailey" was appreciative of some food and got on well with our Border Terrier x, we kept them apart for the evening and in the morning made a call to the dogs home with view to taking him in, my gf has always wanted another dog , i have been a little more reluctant. The dogs homes locally said they were full and also said we would need paperwork and proof of ownership before they could take a dog in ? The only suggestion the could make was to call the dog warden, we have not called the warden as yet but will do in the morning.

The dog is quite thin, has a few sores where he has been sleeping on the streets, he could do with his nails clipping and seemed to have sore feet he seems very well natured , responds well to comands and puts up well with our excitable terrier - in fact they get on really, really, well, a lot of dogs get a little fed up with her as she does tend to get very excited when is close proximity with other dogs.

So we have given him a worming tablet, fleed him (he did not seem to have any fleas) put some cream on his paws and the couple of sores he has, given him a shower, fed him small but frequent meals of mixture of dry / wet food and he has progressed so much, he now has a spring in his step and looks a lot happier.

So where to go now? We are undecided weather to keep him, I am reluctant to take him to the vets and have to pay a huge bill if we are not keeping him, we are both keen to see how he gets on but there are a number of considerations to take into account before we can decide if we can rehome him, I have no idea what the dog warden will say when we speak to him?

Any advice would be appreciated - I will upload a couple of pics in the morning.

Thanks in advance

Ross & Emily.

#1 Roscoepeko, Apr 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

well done for taking on the wee chap - I think you already know what you want to do ;) all being well with your situation, and other dog I would personally look at offering him a permant home. That failing I would contact staff and boxer breed rescues and see if they can offer any support and advice.

3. Roscoepeko

Thanks for speedy response Devil-Dogz,

I had not considered contacting a breed specific rehoming centre, I will contact one in the morning hopefully they can offer some advice, confirm the breed and answer breed specific questions we have.

Cheers

Ross

4. Angie2011

Angie2011 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! :) i think you are a STAR! for helping the little man out! BUT! only you know your circumstances as to weather you can offer him a forever home or not! :) good luck on your decision. :D

5. Hi and welcome to the forum. Well done for rescuing him of the streets. Whether you decide to keep him or not you have done a very nice thing for him by rescuing him off the streets. If you hadn't come along and done this, who knows where he would of ended up.

6. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

You're very caring people. :) It would be lovely if you could keep him...

7. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

how lovely of you and your partner :) as everyone else has said it's only you two that know if your circumstances are suitable to keep him or not.

You need a sit down with your partner and discuss it fully, but if it was me and Bailey got on fine with my other dog i know exactly what i'd do ;)

8. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Well done for what you have done. I think you will have to make a decision soon before you get too attached and it would be harder to give him up.
    I think it would be lovely to see through what you have started in building up this dog. However, only you know what is best for you!

Good luck with whatever you decide :)

9. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

We were in a very similar situation this time last year. We knew of a young staffie cross that was being terribly neglected by her owner. She was very thin and spent her days locked in a crate. We took the dog, with the owners consent, with the intention of finding her a good home as we already had a staffie and an elderly Labrador.

Well 1 year later, little Cookie is still with us, and a very much loved member of the family. Our other dogs took to her straight away, and she was great with them. Despite her ill treatment from her previous owner, she had such a sweet, loving nature, we couldn't bare to part with her.

It wasn't all plain sailing as Cookie had issues with chewing anything and everything and it took quite a bit of time to get round that. She is an all round cracking little dog now though and we have never regretted taking her on.

I wish you all the best in whatever you decide to do with this boy. It would be lovely if you could keep him, he sounds liken real sweetheart.

10. Roscoepeko

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind word all, I have attached a pic of Bailey with Bess in the background, if anyone could confirm breed it would be appreciated.

Suffering a little today, someone kept me awake all night ..:) and a little busy today, buy GF has spoken to a vets whom will clip nail and give him a once over for £30 so I think that may be the route will will take this evening and see how things go from there.

11. Roscoepeko

hhhmnn pics wont upload ?

12. Roscoepeko

Ah here we go - not best pics but he is a little camera shy !

Attached Files:

13. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Oh bless, he is lovely, a little slender but lovely.Wishing you all the best whether he stays or in finding him a happy new home :)

14. Purplejellyfish

Purplejellyfish PetForums Member

Awwwwwww... He's lovely, such a sweet face. It's difficult to tell his size in the pics but it looks like he could be an American bulldog. He really is adorable! :)

15. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Yes he does look like an American bulldog. Even more so once he has gained some weight. But equally a staff xboxer. So I'm 50/50 ( sorry no help )

Bless you for trying to do you best for him:D

16. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

I would guess staff/boxer rather than Ambull. Looks a little small for Ambull but it's hard to get a perpsective.

Staff/boxer is my dream dog, by the way. I've fostered a few and been smitten each time.

17. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Bless him, he looks as though he can't quite believe his luck yet. Obviously you have to make a rational decision on this, for the sake of all concerned, but I hope you find you can keep him on - he will have so much love and loyalty to give, dogs know when they've been rescued :D

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

First though was an American Bulldog, but in relation in size to your terrier cross he doesnt look big enough. Probably therefore a Boxer/staff possibly.

It may be an idea to get him scanned to see if he has a chip, especially as his origins are so under question and totally unknown. Even if he is a cross and came originally from a rescue, there is a chance he would be chipped.
    Who knows he could be someones pet, that was lost or stolen originally you never know.

He does look a really nice dog though, and seems to be fitting in so far.

19. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

I have nearly cried at such a lovely act of kindness, you and you girlfriend are very good people! wish there where more about :)

I know what my heart says, but I suppose you have to think from the head as well........ or forget the head and keep the little fella :p

either way you have already changed that poor dogs life. X

20. Roscoepeko

Thanks for all the comments guys.

My gf has taken half day from work and taken him to vets, they are going to clip his claws, give him a check over and injections for £30 which seemed reasonable and worthwhile.

I am sure they will also check for a microchip too under the circumstances, of course if he has an owner whom is responsible but just happened to lose the dog that would be a good outcome all round.

It would also be great to know how old he might be, ill get some decent pics on later and let you know what the vet says.

American pitbull ? a quick google search suggests they are not a dangerous dog , we ae both thinking of starting a family though soon and whilst both a saffie x or a american pitbull seem to be well natured dogs of course the potential damage should something go wrong is far greater than with our terrier. Another big consideration is GF's parents help us out quite a bit with looking after house and our dog when we go away, im not sure how they would feel looking after two dogs and what preconceptions they may have about a staffie or Americal Pitbull?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice