Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie. Skycrate and 7 hr flight.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by toys19, Jul 5, 2017.

1. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

I am new here hello!
    Our new Pup is flying in from the USA in a few weeks and I wondered if anyone has any experience of flying dogs!
    I am told that after inspection by the government vet on landing the 16week old pup will be released to us. Then a 3hr drive from Heathrow to home.. Poor baby.
    I am a bit concerned about a 7 hr flight not to mention god knows how long waiting at the airport.
    What do they do, if anything to look after them in the airport (Washington Dulles) ?
    Looking at the skycrate I assume Pup is likely to have been to the loo a few times and may well be dehydrated. There is a water bottle thing in the crate. I am thinking of bringing a 5 gallon tank of water and giving her a wash off straight away and plenty of food drink etc. is there anything else?

Thanks in advance.

#1 toys19, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have no idea..

But some members may..

@SixStar
    @Dogloverlou

Not sure if they can help or not but might have a clue

SixStar and toys19 like this.
  3. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

I am soon bringing a puppy home. He will be ten weeks old and it is a short domestic flight - 45 minutes. So, not quite the same. But, I will bring him with me on board. I was told by the airline that he needs to be in his puppy bag during take-off and landing but during the flight, I can keep him on my lap, provided other passangers don´t mind. I already paid a bit extra for the front row seats to give him as much comfort as possible. Is this an option, to fly him on board?

4. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

Ahh no. Well I don't think so - it is being imported - and united allow unaccompanied pets in the hold. The breeder in the USA has done it before to Europe but she didn't know much about what happens at the UK end. I guess I could fly over and bring it back. I had not thought about that.

#4 toys19, Jul 5, 2017
  5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

You cannot fly into the UK with a dog in the cabin, they must arrive as manifested cargo.

The Animal Receproom Centre at Heathrow are brilliant - they will clean puppy if he's in a mess when he arrives. He will wait in a kennel there for upto six hours after arrival whist waiting to clear border inspection and customs.

Happy Paws2, toys19 and lullabydream like this.
  6. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

Thanks Sixstar, at least I don't have to worry about that. How do you know when the pup has cleared customs, or do you have to just hang around and wait?

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

You need to employ a customs broker. Unless you make your own alternative arrangements, it's automatically undertaken by JCS Livestock - and they'll generally call you when they're done, or you can sit and wait.

I hate to ask, but you're aware of the landing fees at Heathrow aren't you? And just how much they are.....?

8. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

Nope how much are they?
    Edit - United permits pups to travel alone without the assistance of a Pet Shipper . All the fees are paid to United in advance. So I think already have this accounted for..

#8 toys19, Jul 5, 2017
  9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Circa £400.

10. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

Edit - United permits pups to travel alone without the assistance of a Pet Shipper . All the fees are paid to United in advance. So I think already have this accounted for..

11. SixStar

SixStar Banned

They're not. The fees are applied by the Animal Reception Centre, not the airline. You will have paid pups airfreight, not arrival fees.

12. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

Ahh Ok, I called United in USA about 20 mins ago and they said they paid all the HARC fees in advance. But now don't feel so sure. Hmm So what do i have to do to fix this then?

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Fix what? If the fees aren't prepaid, they'll need paying when you collect your puppy - that's the only "fix". I have never know an airline to prepay ARC fees - customs/JCS fee are prepaid on certain airlines, such as BA and Qantas, but not ARC landing charges. I've been out of the game a while though so entirely plausible it's changed, but would be extremely surprised if the ARC fees are now being included on air waybill charges. That's really odd.

14. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

OK I called HARC, apparently they don't use JCS, they use PBS but they also think that United include the PBS fee in the airfare. I am confused, and you don't seem the be "happy" answering my questions.

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Who doesn't use JCS? The ARC or United?

The JCS office is inside the ARC. United may not use them.

Glad it's sorted.

16. toys19

toys19 PetForums Newbie

OK I have been on to them again and spoken to the breeder. United will not let the animal fly without a broker (or some other specific qualified persons) as they have had animals returned to them due to incorrect customs paperwork. So they contract PBS to do it in the UK and its just incorporated as part of United fee that I have already been quoted.

17. BeauBeau

BeauBeau PetForums Junior

Is it not possibly at all to fly to the UK with a dog (even if he is flyign cabin) and from within the EU?

18. SixStar

SixStar Banned

No pets, regardless of origin, can arrive into the UK in the cabin - unless they're a registered assistance animal.

Quite common and permissible elsewhere in the world though.

You can fly into the UK from within the EU (or anywhere else in the world) as manifested cargo.

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I've seen the TV series about Heathrow, and they treat the animals with a lot of care while checking all their paperwork and waiting to be picked up.

SusieRainbow and SixStar like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice