Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie question!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Peppa, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

Hi

Im new here and just after a bit of advise as i have been googling all day and finding conflicting advice!

Ive had a rabbit for about a year and a half now and was told it was male (they thought!), i have just bought another rabbit which i have been told is female (they think!), i am keeping the new one in a separate hutch with a pen around it while the old rabbit has free roam of the yard, he normally runs riot in the yard all day but since the new one has arrived he just sits outside her hutch staring in! :D

Is this unfair on them, or will they be ok like this , should i let them...ahem...have fun and play together or get them 'done' so to speak! :D Plus i am not 100% sure that they areactually male and female!

2. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

It would be best for both to have them done. Then you can bond them together. It would be nicer for them to have a mate to live with, rather than being lonely...my girls are very affectionate with each other, its great!

3. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i would say its very fair to get them done and them bond them and they will love each other soooo much.
    what breed are they and also we wanna see pics :D

4. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

they are both dwarf one , male one (peppa) is black and female one is white (snowball), my little girl named them after peppa pig and because the white one obviously looks like a snowball! :D

We also have a guinea pig in with the snowball, they were housed together at the petshop and were bought together but again i have read conflicting advice about housing them together, they seem fine upto now but im scared the guinea pig (Fudge!) will get hurt.:(

Ill try put pics on tonight as im at work at the min! :)

5. frags

frags PetForums VIP

i would deffo advise to seperate the guinea and the rabbit as your right the guinea pig could get seriously hurt or killed by the rabbit, they also have different diets.

6. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

I think i will make an appoint at vets for them both, then see how they get on together, i cant really afford to get another hutch to separate guinea pig and rabbit so after i have been to vets to get the rabbits 'done' would they be ok togther living in peppa's hutch (see pic) so the guinea pig can have the other hutch to himself? :)
    Here are some pics ( havnt worked out how to put them on here properly yet)

Flickr: hollysmam1's Photostream

7. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

You definetely need to get themn sexed and neutered. If they are male and female then they should be easy enough to bond once they are both done, dont let them 'play' together before they are done, males stay fertile for up 6 weeks post-op. There are over 33,000 buns sat in rescues we dont need anymore buns. Also 85% of unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus.

You will need to neutralise the hutch too, disinfect it and spray it with vinegar to get rid of the smell to avoid territorial fights. Guinea pigs and rabbits should never ever be kept together, its very dangerous, rabbits carry a bacteria fatal to guinea pigs, they have different diets and dont speak the same language, there is no benefit in keeping them together, guinea pigs are herding animals and will snuggle up the bun but it does not mean they are happy. Buns with buns are lovely and a much better idea. You could rescue another guinea pig to keep yours company?

How big are your hutches?

8. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

There is a pic of the hutch peppa is in in my previous post, it 2 storey one and he has free roam of the yard for exercise too, snowball & fudges hutch is 48" one i think :confused:, i think i have made my mind up to get both of them done as i would love for them to be together, at the min peppa is sat outside her hutch and wont move! :D

Im thinking of getting the guinea pigs brother for him if he is still at the pet shop but will have to wait until the rabbits are done, im just scared to let them out together incase they fight and hurt each other!

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

The hutch is very small :(

If you let them out in the yard is it just when you are there? You just need to be aware of foxes and birds of prey, I know alot of people who have lost their buns to predators. Buns need at least 7 hours exercise a day, might be worth finding an enclosed run for them.

We help advise you when it comes to bonding them, can be stressful!

10. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

The 2 storey one is not small, do you mean it would be too small for both rabbits together? but i think the 48 inch one is maybe it small for the rabbit & guinea pig together, i do let peppa out all day when i am there (even though he hops back in after a little while!) i wud never leave him out when im not there as there as cats next door! :(

I do have a run for snowball which seems bit small for her to run round in so ive made it biger by putting it against the wall and round her hutch!

I hope they do go together ok as they seem to like each other, he wont leave her hutch and hes normally tucked up in bed by now!:D

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I personally would not shut a bun in the there for longer than overnight. RSPCA advises minimum 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch for a pair of buns for just over night with exercise everyday.

As for the guinea pigs rescues do neuter them too, maybe you can find a spayed female, 2 boars are liekly to fight.

12. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

Oh its so confusing all of this, some books say 2 litter guinea pigs together as best then some are saying male and female if the female is done! I dont know what to do for the best! :confused:

13. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I have always had same sex pairs, and it has always been ok, but the last 4 boys(2 pairs) I have had have been a bit of a pain for fighting. I would say maybe a girl would be better just to minimize the risk of fights. I would say litter mates are just as good, but I would worry as they have been seperated, if they had been together all the time they shouldve been ok.

*Heidi*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice