Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Samgd, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Samgd

Samgd PetForums Newbie

Hi

I've just bought our nearly 10 week Labrador pup home on Saturday. I have just had a chat with my neighbour who says he has kept them awake between about midnight and 5am for the last two nights. I'm absolutely mortified because I hadn't heard him. Does anyone have any advice please to make him secure enough not to be crying or barking all night?

Thanks

Sam :eek:)

2. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

try felliway for dogs it should help him settle down a bit :) hope you enjoy your new pup :)

3. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

I have no advice, just wanted to say hi.
    If you repost your question in the dog section you will be met with more of a response hopefully. Good luck :)

4. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

It will take him about a week to get settled in, but at bedtimes you could try giving him a warm hot water bottle with one of your old tops (with your scent) wrapped around it! The warmth and smell will make him feel like he's laying next to you. Pets at Home also sell those microwavable comforters! I wouldnt recommend using any of these if he is a chewer though.

Hope this helps

:)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you crated him? If you have and he is not introduced and trained to it and never seen one before he will cry.
    How often are his meals and how early in the evening is the last one? He may be hungry, that can stop them settling.
    Again if he is crated or in a confined space he may need to toilet, and is getting stressed some pups do try to get clean, depending on what toileting they have had before at the breeders. Has he also got water?

If all his basic needs are being met, then it is likely that he is stressed about being away from mum and littermates and finding himself in a strange place. Things that you can do to help are:-

Leaving a radio on a talking station down low as the sound of voices can re-assure him.
    Leaving a T-shirt or old Jumper you have worn in his bed the smell again can re-assure them.
    Leaving a large soft toy or several smaller ones in his bed, pups sleep touching and a-top of each other in the litter so this can mimic a litter mate to cuddle up too.
    If you leave a bright light on, it can stimulate them awake and keep them awake. Try instead a very dim night light like a human baby. Or Darkness may be even better. or obvoiusly if he is in darkness then try a soft night light. (this is trial and error defferent pups respond better to different light/darkness)

Things like DAP a Dog appeasing pheromone plug in diffuser can help too, its an artificial version of the pheromone mum emits to calm and sooth pups, you just keep them plugged in and going, available at pets at home and vets then tend to be heaper on line Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic is one place.

#5 Sled dog hotel, Feb 6, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  6. Samgd

Samgd PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the advice so far...... I'll give him a later last meal I think, he's been having it at about 7.30 which was the advice I was given but it may be too early I guess. I've already done the comforter thing with my pillow (a good excuse to buy a new one!) and a large cuddly toy and also tried low level music. I'll persevere and buy the neighbours a box of chocolates!!!!!

Thanks again

Sam

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Have in with you or sleep downstairs with him. He is feeling lost and alone and a whole night is a very long time for a puppy. I have always had pups in my bedroom till they settle down and have never lost a wink of sleep.

If he has a crate put it in your room if you can, so that he knows you are close.

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

^^ as above :)

9. jopetportraits

jopetportraits PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forums.:D Hope he settles soon.

10. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I would have him in your room with you to start with. Then you can hear if he makes a noise and also comfort him.
    The dog doesn`t know you or the house. He feels alone in a strange place with strange people, taken from everything he knows. He needs time to learn you are OK and that he is safe.
    You can move him out of the bedroom when he is settled, but those first few weeks can be a special bonding time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice