Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie needing some advice - wet vs. dry food!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PoppyPaws, Apr 19, 2017.

1. PoppyPaws

PoppyPaws PetForums Junior

Hi,

I hope this is ok - we are hopefully getting a puppy in the second half of this year, so I'm just trying to make sure I'm as prepared as possible in terms of knowledge, but also 'crunching the numbers' to make sure I really can afford it before I commit to taking on a dog. I've been trying to read up on the wet vs. dry food debate, but would appreciate some advice as well!

Some background, I grew up with 2 dogs that had wet food for the first half of their lives. I used to feed them when I got in from school and absolutely hated it - it was Bakers Tripe usually and I would gag scooping it out of the tins! At some point they were switched on to dry food which especially suited the younger dog - the older one was very greedy and got a bit aggressive around her food so they would both bolt down their food. As soon as the older one died, the younger one switched to being a 'grazer' - she loved to just be able to pick at her food as she wanted! Obviously this is a benefit of dry food, although I've read that wet food is better overall.

As far as I can see, wet food is generally more nutritious (depending on brand), but dry food has more longevity in terms of shelf life but also being out for longer if the dog prefers to eat little-and-often, and is cheaper (although the best brands are obviously more expensive, but still less expensive than the majority of wet foods).

So my questions are, is wet food much better than dry food? Is it enough of a difference to justify the cost difference - obviously if it came to it I'd buy whatever the dog needed, but budget is a concern (as it is for everyone!). Am I going to have to suppress my gag reflex for the next 15 years!

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, but any advice gratefully received!

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I'm old enough to remember my mum cooking up offal for our family dog, boy did that smell. Then tinned dog food came about and he had that with a mixer biscuit and when I got my own dog I continued with this. Then dried dog food came onto the market and I have used that in one form or another to the present day.
    It suits me and the dog to use dry kibbled food, she likes it, but then she would like anything given her breed. You may find your dog prefers wet food to dry and that will make the decision for you. Both types of food are fine and I wouldn't really say one is better then the other, but others may disagree with this. Don't chop and change foods all the time as this could upset your puppies stomach.

You could always consider feeding a raw diet:eek::D

What breed of dog are you thinking of getting?

3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Its purely your choice...wet food has come on leaps and bounds and to be fair many of us who do feed wet, often comment how certain brands smell good enough for humans to eat!

Wet food more pricey, a lot of moisture and your dog will not likely drink as much as a kibble fed dog.

Dry food, is really a buyers market. Plenty of choice to fit many a budget and even supermarkets have upped their game. Kibble convenient, suits most lifestyle as you say, minimal odours.

Free feeding, or grazing is done by many, my personal choice is not to though. The first sign of illness in many dogs is loss of appetite. This can be minor illnesses, to major ones. With free feeding noticing the reluctance to eat, can be too subtle...whereas a dog whose fed twice a day or used food as training purposes then its obvious from the start.

If you are looking at getting a puppy or rescue dog, if you know what food they have been fed. This should be a definite with a puppy, and maybe with a rescue, some rescues feed certain foods others have a bit of a mismatch. If the dog has been on certain foods for a while keep the food familiar for a while, so not to add stress but understand reluctance to feed maybe just stress related initially.

Plenty of higher prices kibble can be cost effective because feeding amounts are low....and feeding guidelines can be over generous. However do not think all dogs need less, some need more than the guides. However if that was the case for my dogs, I would hunt for something more cost effective.

There are no hard and fast rules about being solely a kibble feeder, or wet feeder...you can do whatever you want to. Kongs are a great piece of equipment for any dog, something nice to chew on, time relax, can be used to feed a meal instead of a bowl...wet food can make an excellent Kong filler.

4. PoppyPaws

We're on the waiting list for a cockapoo litter that is due in a couple of months - I know the dam quite well and she's the loveliest dog I've ever met, and has had all the necessary health checks/tests.

Raw diet wouldn't work for me, I don't feed my child that well, never mind a dog

I think generally I would prefer a dry diet if it agrees with the dog - as a vegetarian, even the best wet dog foods are still going to be unappetising!

5. PoppyPaws

I certainly wouldn't totally free-feed - apart from anything else, the dog will have to spend a small amount of time every day crated (less than an hour), and it wouldn't seem fair to leave a bowl of food in the same area but out of reach!

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Siskin

Agree that free feeding is not the way to go. Some of the tinier breeds seem to benefit, but most dogs do well on two meals a day when adult.
    Couldn't do it with golden retrievers as they would eat the whole lot in one go then spend the rest of the day trying to persuade you its tea time soon.

lullabydream and PoppyPaws like this.
  7. lullabydream

I don't think tiny breeds do benefit...they don't necessarily feel the need to eat when feeling hypoglacemic, as I guess that would be the worry, but regular feeding helps regulate blood sugars...small or large dogs, regardless.

Owning chis, and both I swear could eat till bursting...i do think this is why my smooth coat is mistaken for all other random toy breeds other than a chi simply she doesn't fit the stereotype of having a tiny head with a ridiculously round body as many people recognise unfortunately...if I get asked I thought they were slightly more plump again!...although good on those with a vast knowledge of tiny dogs...min pin is most common.

8. Siskin

I've very little knowledge of little dogs, the smallest I owned was a Sheltie, but my son has a Chi, long haired, and he free feeds. Mind you she's more interested in what he's eating.

lullabydream likes this.
  9. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

The only person I know who free feeds has a golden. A 45+kg golden :eek:

Siskin likes this.
  10. Siskin

My word, what a weight. :eek:
    Isla's about 32kg, but my last golden only weighed about 25kgs, she wasn't a lot smaller then Isla but was very finely built and didn't have much bone.

evel-lin likes this.
  11. lullabydream

My friend feeds her shih Tzu freely but if she stays with me, am chief dog sitter shes fed like the rest...

Very odd when I dog sat and baby sat at her house...the dog didn't 'free feed' the 5 days I was there either. No idea how I serve up the food 'differently' to her,I just presumed the dog must have thought oh no...its her I need to eat all my food nicely!

My friend just likes to free feed because that's what her family has done in the past, and she was worried she wasn't eating enough when she first got her...which she was and it a little loss of appetite is normal.

Each to their own though.

12. Katerina Smith

Katerina Smith PetForums Newbie

Hi PoppyPaws - welcome! You must be excited about getting the new pup!

I've switched mine to a brand that make their food by hand and with only human-grade ingredients (so it literally is good enough to eat!) and she's taken to it like a duck to water (or in her case, a vizsla to water!) so it's something I would recommend. It's wet and it comes in a vac packed pouch but certainly doesn't make you gag - smells kind of like herby mince! Perhaps it would be better than dried that way you're getting all of the good with much much less off the gross-factor?

x

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Which brand is this?

14. Katerina Smith

Katerina Smith PetForums Newbie

Hey SixStar - it's Butternut Box, it's nice because they deliver it right to you so you don't have to really think about ever running out and it's always nice and fresh, I throw extras in the freezer then thaw them out as I need it.

Have a look, I think they deliver everywhere: https://butternutbox.com

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice