Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

newbie needing help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by mummyxofx2, Jun 12, 2010.

1. mummyxofx2

mummyxofx2 PetForums Member

hey all my rotty x shepard her mum was full shep and father full rottie was mated on the 13th of april 2010 with a pure rottie by all calculations she is 61 days today on day 58 she was showing ALL the signs of going ino labour but today nothing she has stopped it all her temp is always at 37.6-37.8 right now its at 37.4 she has milk leaking everywhere haha but she hasnt had any discharge and is not really swollen down there when do dogs normally go into labour i have had soooo many different opinions i dont know which 1 to listen to lol help would be muchly appreciated

2. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I don't know much about breeding, but I know Tanya 1989 usually helps with this kind of thing, she's an amazing help to all when it comes to breeding pregnancy, Labour and birth. She's recently had surgery though and I haven't been here for a week or so so not sure if she's around....I'm sure if she is she'll help as much as she can
    Clare xx

3. mummyxofx2

thanks im hoping she has the babies soon we are both getting impatient haha she is very uncomfortable

4. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

if she is on day 61 it will be any day now, no real science to these things, I was pretty lucky and my bitch whelped on day 63.

Keep taking her temp twice a day, Maisie's dipped to 36.7, went off food (including tripe) and eventually stopped drinking much too. Her breathing became faster and louder and she generally was restless. she stayed this way from 6.30pm on the Monday then at 5am Tuesday morning she constantly needed to go outside, she had the first pup at 8.50am.

Just keep and eye on her temp and look for the first signs of refusing food. Good luck.

5. mummyxofx2

that will be my biggest sign as she is a big pig lol she did all the signs (no eating or drinking digging restless panting on monday i got worried i rang my vet to change her xray time from wednesday to monday cause i didnt think she was going to last and i wanted to know they pups would be fine if born then but here we are on saturday and still no signs of any puppies when does the discharge come and my vet said she may not get the temp drop?

6. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

To be honest the food thing was my biggest sign. If yo haven't got pups by Wednesday take her to the vet ;-)

How did the xray go? how many are you expecting?

7. mummyxofx2

yeah i was going to wait till thursday then take her to vet as she was bred on the 13th and 15th of april so if the first one wasnt successful then she due this thursday but the vet said the puppies are well formed and mummy xena is ready she has plenty of milk we are expecting 7 big puppies the vet said there may be 1-2 more as shes crowded so couldnt count very well lol will put piccies up in a sec x

8. mummyxofx2

my girl 2 weeks ago she wont stay still long enough to get new pics shes alot bigger now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Good luck and i hope all goes well x

10. mummyxofx2

thanks when does the mucus plug come i was told its there for a few days before labour and she has nothing at all and no discharge =(

11. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hello,im not a breeder,so will be of no use to you really.Just wanted to wish you lots of luck for a safe and healthy whelping.Mommmy dog is gorgeous!
    If you have a chance before the pups arrive,try and get a copy of 'the book of the bitch' its a great read and will give you lots of info :)

12. mummyxofx2

i have a heap of books but they all say different grrr lol also looked everywhere on the net for the info i need but nothing thats why i came here lol seemed as though this site has alot of great people who know what they are doing and wont udge me cause mum is a cross breed and dad is a pure...
    i think xena is going to try her hardest to have the puppies on my daughter bed haha thats the first place she goes of a night and in the morning but the rest of the day shes in her whelping box and please dont udge me because im asking people for help i did research everything before breeding my girl even the vet was very happy with me she didnt have to tell me a thing we had the confirmation scan done then the xray she has been on a premium puppy food for weeks now but now starting to mix with her normal adult premium food the vet is happy with hers and the pups health

13. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I wouldnt judge you hun,and neither will many others.Theres loads of great people on here with a wealth of experience and info to share.
    Look forward to news of your new pups soon xx

14. mummyxofx2

im so hoping its soon and natural lol she is always whining lately like a soft cry they puppies are very very active maybe its hurting unless shes in labour cause shes on and off panting but temp still at 37.5

15. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Do you have someone to help you when she does start? is your vet on standby? Im sure you will have the nesseccary kit by now but having another person with some knowledge either on the phone or in person is a good idea :)

16. mummyxofx2

i have my vets mobile number which im aloud to call when shes in labour and my partner will be here helping me and yep have everything ready

17. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Just the waiting game then lol!! hope she doesnt make you wait too long now.Make sure she isnt left alone at all now though ,just incase.xx

18. mummyxofx2

never leave my baby alone she is like 1 of my daughter lol

19. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

Most of my bitches lose muscus plug just hours before giving birth.

In fact i've just had a bitch whelp on tuesday this week who lost it just before her waters broke and gave birth very shortly after.

Going by temperature is not always easy as it often drops then goes back up so yo could have missed it.
    As she is staring to whine she could be starting contractions and don't be caught out by looking for heavy contractions,mine often only give a 'shiver' and out pops a pup!

Wishing you all the luck for a trouble free whelping :)

20. mummyxofx2

haha thanks for that been waiting to hear that allllll night lol been so worried that she would need c-section not that it would of worried me i have plenty of vet funds to cover it all imm hoping she goes before the 63 days

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice