Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie Needing Advice Ugently.....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by wellingtons mum, Jul 10, 2009.

1. wellingtons mum

wellingtons mum PetForums Newbie

Hi - I am new to the forum and apologies if this is the wrong area....I am needing some urgent advice....so, we have been looking for a cavalier king charles puppy for quite sometime now (have had our share of scammers etc) with no success, mainly becuse we do not have £600+ to spend on a puppy. We have now the option of rehoming an 8 month old male kc or a 12 month old female - we have two children aged 7 & 5 - the male pup has had no vaccinations etc. but is friendly aorund other dogs and kids (although the present owner has said her kids are older staring at 13) where as the 12 month old female had lived with small children and cats (we have an elderly old gent of 15). My biggest dliema is will either of these pups still be puppy like???? and able to grow with our kids - we are really looking for a fifth familY Member for a forever home - PLEASE PLEASE HELP, ANY ADVICE GREATLY RECEIVED.... We have visited many dog sancuatries who have been unable to help us due to our kids being small....

2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, I wuld go with the female as she has been around younger children.
    At 12 months she is still young and will have lots of years with her growing up with your children :)

x

3. estalearottweilers

estalearottweilers PetForums Member

would also go with the bitch i take it she has had her jabs? did you ask the reasons why the dogs are needing new homes?

4. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum

I think i would go and meet the dogs and take the child with and see how they get on with the dogs

5. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi yes, i would agree go for the 12 month female, are you planning on taking your other dog to meet her before you bring her home.

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I'm another one that would take my child to meet both dogs. I don't want to put a dampener on things but just because a dog lives with a cat doesn't necessarily mean that she will get along with new ones, you would need to introduce them very carefully. My two dogs get on with family cats fine but I have to be careful with new ones.

Terri

#6 Kinski, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  7. wellingtons mum

Thank you all so much for some guidance - both pups are being rehomed due to changes in their presents owners circumstances (marriage split and home re-possession) I was a bit dubious of the reason given re moving to rented accommodation...but I guess this does happen. The female pup has had all her vac's but the male pup has had no vac's/ health check which bothers me (I was told they bought him from a breeder they found in their local newspaper).....god I wish I had one of you guys accompanying me to visit these pups, am now trying to make a list of questions etc....we are so looking forward to having a pup that I just want to make the right decision!!!! THANKKS AGAIN, this is a great site, so glad I found it...

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I would be a bit wary with Cav's and only really buy one that has health tested parents because you could end up paying out a fortune in the long run as they are prone to heart and other problems. My sister lost both hers to heart problems a few years ago.

If you do get one of these I would insure it right away.

9. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Wee soul could have come from a puppy farm, I'm afraid I would never trust an ad in the paper, if they don't want money for him you could always pass on the address of the local c.k.c. rescue and see if they can help them or the rescue might well have a list of people waiting to adopt such a young dog.

Terri

10. wellingtons mum

good point - they want around £200 for him...am leaning towards going to see both pups and taking along my kids and hubby to see how each interacts with us....hopefully if we ask the right questions we can get to know the full picture!!!! thanks

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I would avoid the male completely! He may have come from a puppy farm, or back yard breeders, You could be more likely to end up with a dog who is ill in later life and very expensive to look after, if it was me I would rather go for the on that had been vaccinated and better looked after, at that age you would expect a dog to have been vaccinated, there are too many nasty things going around.

x

12. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Write down a list of questions you want to ask the owner, if you don't you will probably forget half of them when you get there,or is it just me that's like that :D.
    Remember though now you've had all this good advice :p if and when you get one of the dogs you have to come back and post some pictures :D.

Terri

13. wellingtons mum

thank you again for all your advice - am going to see the female pup this afternoon....will update later! x so excited :D

14. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

oh wishing you well when you see the pup, remember asks lots of questions, and spend plenty of time with her, dont feel rushed to leave, look forward to update:)

15. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Nice one :thumbup:.

Terri

16. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Hello i have just been catching up with your thread and your quest ;) :D

I hope everything works out for you
    xx

17. wellingtons mum

Hi all - just to update...have been to see Lou-Lou twice (i know, but it is love!!!!) and she is adorable, great with the kids and hubby, so friendly...I asked lots of questions and everything worked out fine - we will be picking her up on Sunday - yay!!! will post pics as soon as - a huge THANK YOU to everyone for advice, support etc - fantastic :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice