UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
How is she doing in herself aside from not using the litter tray? Are her poos fairly consistent? Is she eating ok? Has the dire rear stopped?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Hi @huckybuck, generally well and fit, eating really well as she is transitioned onto Hilifi complete kitten food. Eating four times a day, plays all day and is a very active kitten.

Her poos remain watery with mucas and still not usuing her litter tray.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
Glad to know she’s eating well and active.

Two things spring to mind. What wormer did she have and is it time for another one? Worms in kittens can be very resilient.

Is she pooing in the same place each time?

Hpw many litter trays have you on the go and what litter. My instinct is saying to try three different trays with three different litters. Put them in the places she is choosing to go outside the tray. You can always put puppy training pads down too for a while.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
Another thought - assuming she is not being given kitten milk or anything like that and she doesn’t have access to treats or tit bits atm?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Morning @ewelsh @Tigermoon

MICROBIOLOGY
Faecal Examination No ova, cysts or parasites seen including Giardia.

VIROLOGY
Tritrichomonas Foetus PCR Negative

While a positive PCR result is proof of an infection, a
negative PCR result does not rule out that an animal may
be infected.

PCR-results should be interpreted in conjunction with
the available

It appears she has tested negative for TF, where would I go from here.
As the results say "a negative PCR result does not rule out that an animal be infected". Various things can produce a false negative, from the sample being allowed to get too hot or too cold; the sample drying out; the animal not shedding at that precise moment ... Personally I'd speak to the vet about treating for TF anyway. Any diarrhoea that goes on for this long, contains mucus and sometimes blood screams TF.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
As the results say "a negative PCR result does not rule out that an animal be infected". Various things can produce a false negative, from the sample being allowed to get too hot or too cold; the sample drying out; the animal not shedding at that precise moment ... Personally I'd speak to the vet about treating for TF anyway. Any diarrhoea that goes on for this long, contains mucus and sometimes blood screams TF.
I'm inclined to agree with this. If the vet thinks it's ok and would do her no harm I would treat anyway.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
@Tigermoon The vets in Jollys have said they have never treated for TF and are reluctant to prescribe ronidazole. I have convinced her and she is happy to prescribe and workout the dosage based on weight. Do you know which pharmacies this can be ordered from?

Rgds
H

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Hi @huckybuck I cant recall the brand of the wormer however the next one is due in 2 weeks time with her second vaccination job.

The litter tray idea has already been tested. Also she only urinates them happily and is using them. She has two litter trays and two different brands of litter, one is Dr elseys and the second is sanicat i believe.

She has never had milk. She does not have access to any treats or other foods.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
I’d maybe add another low tray with a puppy pad/sheet of newspaper and no litter to where she’s choosing to poo for a while and see if she uses that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I've used viovet before but tbh would prob just get it from my own vets.
Thanks right now my vets Medivet who haven't even seen her are pretty useless. They closed for covid and haven't even called out of curtsey to rearrange.

So I'm using a vet who has been supportive but she works in a popup vets at Jollys.

So she can provide me a prescription, however I need to know which pharmacy will provide this drug at a competetive rate.

She did mention something about metronidazole too whcih ive declined just now.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Thanks right now my vets Medivet who haven't even seen her are pretty useless. They closed for covid and haven't even called out of curtsey to rearrange.

So I'm using a vet who has been supportive but she works in a popup vets at Jollys.

So she can provide me a prescription, however I need to know which pharmacy will provide this drug at a competetive rate.

She did mention something about metronidazole too whcih ive declined just now.
Do not go with Metronidazole, it has to be Ronidazole for TF.
Because Ronidazole is not licensed for cats I don't believe you can buy it online using a prescription like you can other medications. Certainly it is not available from any of the online veterinary pharmacies I'd use. It needs to come from your vet and you'll probably need to sign to say you understand it's off license.

·
Registered
14,530 Posts
I am gutted for you over those results, all this is really out of my knowledge now, I will continue to watch this thread and help wherever I can. X

Personally I would be on the phone to Medivet insist on an appointment asap ( as they cancelled your last ) go armed with your results and take little one, say your at your wits end that you have had weeks and weeks of diarrhea, that you want Ronidazole and you want it now!

To be honest, I find that vets are only a few quid more than on line pharmacy’s plus no faffing around with collecting signatures then scanning, then waiting for Royal Mail.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If its not licensed would your local vet hospital be able to order it in? Just a thought as meiko was given off licence meds last november and the hospital arranged and ordered etc.

great progress she is eating kitten food now and often too. The puppy pad at aide of the tray is a good idea, i do know this works for a few CH cats.

when so little their guts really can take months to settle down from
Infection, irritation etc. i do hope you can get rhe meds she needs sorting

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,573 Posts
Wow I did check prices when my Old Labrador was on Gabapantin and my vets only charged £4 something more! Must admit I have never check metacam Loxicom etc.
I've never checked metacam either and been going through it like the nobody's business lol. Which pharmacy do you recommend @Tigermoon I've only ever really used viovet for hen stuff.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Seriously? At least 50% less even with the cost of prescription gets my vote everytime. Sadly can't be done with Ronidazole though.
Yes, certainly if it's a long-term prescription like Maggie's, I save hundreds a year. Tablets costing £1.12 each from the vet I got from VetUk for 40p each. I think they have gone up a few pence since I last ordered, but then I assume what I would pay from the vet will also have gone up. Prescription strangely gone down to £10. Short-term meds like a course of antibiotics I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
It does pay to check first. As @Calvine says, short term basic antibiotics such as Synulox and prescription wormers aren't worth paying a prescription for to buy online as they are cheap anyway. But the longer term stuff, and things like Bravecto, certain eye ointments etc and even food are well worth getting online as the vet may give you a single prescription for up to a year's worth.

I shop around for the best price, but my goto place is Pet Drugs Online. However I often use Viovet, VetUK, Hyperdrug and I'm sure there are others.

121 - 140 of 185 Posts