UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

A newbie kitten owner here after advice. I have a grey BLH/SSH who is now 14 weeks, (apologies unsure how to attach pictures just now). She joined our family three weeks ago and up till now we are having complications, please see below.

For the first three days she settled in fine with her eating and litter and generally bonded well with the family. Her diet at this point was one pouch of felix wet food a day and wainwrightes turkey & rice hard food. We settled her into our living room with the following setup; two litter trays with clumping litter in discreate locations, two seperate feeding bowls, one for wet food and the other for dry, she also has a seperate water bowl located seperately away. In addition to this she has a scratch post and a large kitten tower with a seperate bed.

Three days later she has been pooing on the carpets, windowsill and sofa, not using her litter tray at all. We wasn't expecting this but the poo has been like diarehha. Another three days went by and the issue persisted. We couldn't let her continue pooing on the new carpets or sofa, so with the vet's immediate advice, I was ok to move her setup and herself to a new safe room in the house with all of her belongings. The toilet issue continued...

At this point, a week or so later, I booked her into the vets and immediatly proceeded with what was provided, some probiotics paste 2ml twice daily which has now finished and some digestive wet food which made the diarehha worse, so I instantly stopped using that. At this point I was also told to stop feeding the wet food altogether. She was also given a worming tablet. There was no further comments from the vets at this stage, I felt hopeless.

Since yesterday, I have been giving her chciken breast shredded 5 times a day roughly two tablespoons worth at each feeding time, I noticed her poo has hardened up almost instantly, its not diarehha! However, she still remains pooing outside her litter trays, anywhere on the carpet. I have since yesterday picked her poo up and put it in the litter box to show her in the hope she would poo there. That hasn't worked just now, albeit she has started to dig the poo up in the litter tray and bury it.

In terms of day-to day, I have to keep the poor kitty mainly in her safe room with minimal time out of the room in case she poo's. Otherwise she is playful, wants lots of attention and appears great all round. she purr's alot and meows too, still figuring it all out. I just need to ensure I do everything to fix the litter issue and get her diet right at any cost.

I was doing some further research and found that Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter should help, so I have ordered this and should be on its way tomorrow to help with the litter problem.

I'm a first time pet owner and im struggling hard at the moment and would love to make sure I can get this kitten on track. Right now I don't feel the vets can help me, least I feel that way. Your advice on diet and on the litter tray issue would be massively appreciated.

I look forward connecting with you all.

Best
H.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RE: Litter tray

Sorry, I should have included the following information. Initially she had one litter tray with cover and flap which used fine, after the third day when she started pooing outside on the carpets I went a purchased another. One litter tray had the breeders litter, the other had pets at homes performance clumping litter which is not fragraced.

When I moved her safe room, on one of the boxes I removed the hood so its open, the other litter tray still has the hood but I have removed the flap.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry if I've posted in the wrong chat, can a mod please move to appropriate section - I'm still after advice, please.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Hello and welcome

Sorry you have had an unsettling start.

Few questions to help us, help you.

Firstly did the diarrhea start before or after her wormer?
Are you feeding her the same as the breeder?
Are you giving her kitten milk or similar?
Do you leave the food down all day so she grazes or do you dish out the food a few times a day?
How do you wash the trays?
How do you wash the areas she has soiled?

She has had a lot of changes in such a short space or time. It's difficult to know if the food upset her, or if she associates the trays with something she doesn't like. Also has she had a bug!

So the general rule is have two shallow kitten litter trays, one for wee one for poop, ( the big trays might be difficult for her to get into so that puts her off ) also write down when she goes for a wee and a poop if possible, she should have a routine soon. The trays should be well away from her feeding area. Her feeding area needs to be all together and feed little at a time rather than leaving it down all the time, then you can judge her intake and what's coming out. When you can see she is going to go for a poop or wee, scoop her up and pop her in the tray and once done gentle stroke her with praise.

Let's take things from here, this can be sorted out. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Thank you for the reply and questions - please see below.

1.The Diarrhea started before the wormer. The Diarreha is improving as its now day two on just chicken breast being given with filtered water for her to drink.

2.Yes original food was being fed to the kitten same as the breeder (Wainwrights turkey&rice dry food and felix kitten pouches).

3. No milk is being given to the kitten as heard this is bad, correct me if i've been misinformed.

4. Originally I was leaving the dry food available all day and just feeding the wet pouches as and when needed. Albeit now I am feeding her chicken breast only but five times day with probably 2 table spoons worth in each feeding, is this ok to continue before I reintroduce decent wet food, any reccommendations are welcome here.

5. The trays are cleansed twice daily, morning and evening. At the moment appears she is only weeing in them. But pooing on the carpets.

6. The areas where she soils is cleaned with Dr Beckmans solution, I've also just purchased a Bissell to really get a good clean of the soiled area.

When we had visit to the vets she didnt mention anything to do with a bug so I'm unsure, is there anyway I could check?

I will go and buy shallow trays today and change them over with the new Dr elseys cat litter attractant. Currently I have two large litter trays and they are not shallow as she has to hop into them. Is there a particular type of tray you reccomend that I can go and buy today from pets at homes or jollys?

When I have realised she is needing a poo, I have put her in the litter tray however she storms of the litter and does her business on the carpet.

Hello and welcome

Sorry you have had an unsettling start.

Few questions to help us, help you.

Firstly did the diarrhea start before or after her wormer?
Are you feeding her the same as the breeder?
Are you giving her kitten milk or similar?
Do you leave the food down all day so she grazes or do you dish out the food a few times a day?
How do you wash the trays?
How do you wash the areas she has soiled?

She has had a lot of changes in such a short space or time. It's difficult to know if the food upset her, or if she associates the trays with something she doesn't like. Also has she had a bug!

So the general rule is have two shallow kitten litter trays, one for wee one for poop, ( the big trays might be difficult for her to get into so that puts her off ) also write down when she goes for a wee and a poop if possible, she should have a routine soon. The trays should be well away from her feeding area. Her feeding area needs to be all together and feed little at a time rather than leaving it down all the time, then you can judge her intake and what's coming out. When you can see she is going to go for a poop or wee, scoop her up and pop her in the tray and once done gentle stroke her with praise.

Let's take things from here, this can be sorted out. :)

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Hello again

OK so its not the wormer which can upset little tummies, it sounds like the food is causing the problem which is odd as she didn't have diarrhea in the beginning or at the breeders.
So if it were me, I would continue with the boiled chicken and add a tiny amount of the wet only food, pick only one flavor, I think wet kitten is better ( this might be a long road of process of elimination in flavours ) so add a t spoon per meal for a few days then less chicken and more wet kitten until you are back to just wet kitten food. This is a gentle way of getting her back to "complete foods" I would also recommend stopping dried food, kittens need fluids. If you think about it, if I gave you dried biscuit you would want a cuppa as you would get thirsty, the same thing apply's to cats and kittens. It is possible your little girl has eaten too much dried food and drank too much water result diarrhea.

As for the litter trays, kitten trays are smaller with lower sides, so easier for them to climb into, you will get to use your adult trays in the future so they haven't gone to waste.

So soon as you have your kitten litter trays, put newspaper at the bottom or paper towel and then a small amount of litter on top. ( she may not like the noise of the litter on the tray bottom ). When she goes to poop, scoop her up gently and pop her in the tray and keep popping her in the tray until she has completed this poop, try not to make a fight out of this.
IF she does do a poop on the carpet, put the poop in the litter tray in a corner and leave it there, leave the other tray just for wee. This may take time but she will twig on.

Some cats like a clean tray so slaves have to empty it out each toilet ( that's my girls ) other cats don't care. You might have a fussy girl who likes everything squeaky clean.

As for cleaning, you may not think it but its better to have poop than a wee. Most of us here use
Simple Solution Extreme Stain and Odour Remover For Cats 750ml 200 g Amazon uk
for cleaning any accidents, it is very gentle, no strong perfumes either and rids odors we humans but cats can smell. It's about £9 per bottle but lasts ages.

Stay in touch and let us know how things go.:)

Others may have some tips too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice.

Is there a brand of wet food you reccomend and is there a protein that I should consider to start her off, I was thinking prehaps chicken?

I have now placed a new litter tray with the Dr Elsey's litter attracted litter. I will remove the second large one tomorrow so its not to much of a change in one go. Also you mention a little litter ontop of the newspaper, the reccomended is 3/4" - is that fine?

Regards,
H

Hello again

OK so its not the wormer which can upset little tummies, it sounds like the food is causing the problem which is odd as she didn't have diarrhea in the beginning or at the breeders.
So if it were me, I would continue with the boiled chicken and add a tiny amount of the wet only food, pick only one flavor, I think wet kitten is better ( this might be a long road of process of elimination in flavours ) so add a t spoon per meal for a few days then less chicken and more wet kitten until you are back to just wet kitten food. This is a gentle way of getting her back to "complete foods" I would also recommend stopping dried food, kittens need fluids. If you think about it, if I gave you dried biscuit you would want a cuppa as you would get thirsty, the same thing apply's to cats and kittens. It is possible your little girl has eaten too much dried food and drank too much water result diarrhea.

As for the litter trays, kitten trays are smaller with lower sides, so easier for them to climb into, you will get to use your adult trays in the future so they haven't gone to waste.

So soon as you have your kitten litter trays, put newspaper at the bottom or paper towel and then a small amount of litter on top. ( she may not like the noise of the litter on the tray bottom ). When she goes to poop, scoop her up gently and pop her in the tray and keep popping her in the tray until she has completed this poop, try not to make a fight out of this.
IF she does do a poop on the carpet, put the poop in the litter tray in a corner and leave it there, leave the other tray just for wee. This may take time but she will twig on.

Some cats like a clean tray so slaves have to empty it out each toilet ( that's my girls ) other cats don't care. You might have a fussy girl who likes everything squeaky clean.

As for cleaning, you may not think it but its better to have poop than a wee. Most of us here use
Simple Solution Extreme Stain and Odour Remover For Cats 750ml 200 g Amazon uk
for cleaning any accidents, it is very gentle, no strong perfumes either and rids odors we humans but cats can smell. It's about £9 per bottle but lasts ages.

Stay in touch and let us know how things go.:)

Others may have some tips too.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Hello

Regarding the food, I would just stick to the wet you are using now, making a note of each flavor and the results, so use all the chicken sachets first, then so on. If you find she has soft poop after a particular flavor then avoid it for a while and try again, if the same thing happens then you know to avoid that flavor.

I dont really want to start down the elimination diet thing as it is a nightmare. I am hoping that all this has passed and the dried food was the culprit.

As for the amount of litter, I use a small layer just because my girls like the tray emptied regularly, some people add 3/4 tray full as their cats like to dig and burry, so it really depends on your girl, compromise and do a little and add or deduct if necessary.

Let’s have a photo of your little girl and what is her name? :D

Adding a photo is easy, look bottom right corner next to the “post reply” you will see “ upload a file” click on upload a file and you will get a choice -
Photo Library
Take photo
Chose file

I have my photos on my i pad so I use - Photo Library.

Hope all this helps :)

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
@Forester I am glad you are following this story, your the expert at foods and kitten cats tummies unfortunately, I hope this kitten doesn't have dietary/intolerance issues as you know fully well how difficult it is, how is your beautiful Dylan?

Do you agree with me that the dried could be the culprit here?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Without sounding patronising although it may read that way… hats off to you and a big thank you / well done for being a decent cat carer! Sadly a lot of people would either be dumping / rehoming or Just not bothering to sort out the issues. Your kitten is a lucky girl indeed.

i second the cleaning spray recommended, we had a very poorly cat on palliative foster with us, he had runny poop everywhere and the spray has left everything clean and odour free. It may be the soiling isn’t intentional and could be happening without warning, said cat above would sneeze and loose liquid stool etc (he was a very unwell cat please don’t think this is reflective of your baby). Hopefully as she begins to pass a more solid stool she will be able to make it to the tray.

i can’t add much more than the advice given to you by others which is all spot on. I know some
Kittens do struggle with gravy foods so a jelly based wet one may be better if that’s the case?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello

Regarding the food, I would just stick to the wet you are using now, making a note of each flavor and the results, so use all the chicken sachets first, then so on. If you find she has soft poop after a particular flavor then avoid it for a while and try again, if the same thing happens then you know to avoid that flavor.

I dont really want to start down the elimination diet thing as it is a nightmare. I am hoping that all this has passed and the dried food was the culprit.

As for the amount of litter, I use a small layer just because my girls like the tray emptied regularly, some people add 3/4 tray full as their cats like to dig and burry, so it really depends on your girl, compromise and do a little and add or deduct if necessary.

Let's have a photo of your little girl and what is her name? :D

Adding a photo is easy, look bottom right corner next to the "post reply" you will see " upload a file" click on upload a file and you will get a choice -
Photo Library
Take photo
Chose file

I have my photos on my i pad so I use - Photo Library.

Hope all this helps :)
Appreciate the reply.

She was on felix wet food the multipack stuff that includes, Tuna/Salmon/Chicken/Beef, I know this stuff is terrible and not great content from what I have read so far... Whilst I've had her on boiled chicken the last two days, I'd like to use this time to slowly introduce a good wetfood brand with good content. Is there anything decent... maybe chicken related that I can slowly introduce?

The litter was upgraded yesterday, we have seen her go in multiple times and has urinated there, so thats a plus - now I'm waiting to see if she will poop there, fingers crossed for me guys.

I will get a picture of 'Nada' for you guys, reason behind the name was I have a Nardo grey color car therefore I felt compelled to name here Nada as she is also grey.

Again, thank you for your advice - so greatful to be here on this forum.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Without sounding patronising although it may read that way… hats off to you and a big thank you / well done for being a decent cat carer! Sadly a lot of people would either be dumping / rehoming or Just not bothering to sort out the issues. Your kitten is a lucky girl indeed.

i second the cleaning spray recommended, we had a very poorly cat on palliative foster with us, he had runny poop everywhere and the spray has left everything clean and odour free. It may be the soiling isn't intentional and could be happening without warning, said cat above would sneeze and loose liquid stool etc (he was a very unwell cat please don't think this is reflective of your baby). Hopefully as she begins to pass a more solid stool she will be able to make it to the tray.

i can't add much more than the advice given to you by others which is all spot on. I know some
Kittens do struggle with gravy foods so a jelly based wet one may be better if that's the case?
Thank you for the kind words and further reccomendation of the spray.

·
trained by Dylan
4,975 Posts
@ewelsh , I've a couple of quick thoughts on this though am semi dormant re dietary issues these days. 9 years exposure to IBD x 4 has taken it's toll. ;) :oops:

My guess would be that dry food was recommended purely because less moisture input leads to less moisture output. ( I jest not.

My experiences have all been with issues at the other end of the digestive system so I can only advise from general principles.

We're it me I would gradually reduce the cooked chicken and substitute a good quality single protein, wet food.Chicken would be a good one to choose as she's already coping with chicken. Dry food contains all sorts of poor quality ingredients, not to mention that it's incredibly over processed. Dry food is a big profit maker that's why manufacturers , and some vets , like it.

Changing "flavours" of Felix is unlikely to make any difference if there is any intolerance involved. All Felix pouches contain multiple proteins.

A probiotic such as Bioglan , Optibac , or Bio Kult might be a good idea. The bacterial balance in her gut is likely to be completely disrupted if she has dire rear. Thinking of probiotics , anything containing Sacharomyces Boulardii is good for settling dire rear. Sorry, I can't spell it!

HTH

P S. Dylan's OK, very overweight but OK. Unfortunately his sidekick has recently been diagnosed with suspected idiopathic epilepsy .

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
Thank you. It's heartbreaking to see him seizure but I'm hopeful we will be able to make things better for him.
I know the feeling well, had a previous dog with epilepsy and my chihuahua has had 2 seizures.
I hope you can make things better for him too

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
Oh no @Forester I am sorry to hear about Sol, I know you were concerned it may be something like this, its good you have had this diagnosed though as moving forwards you know how to help. You could have done without this with Dylan too, big hugs to you xxxx

Great ideas over OP kitten, I hope she reads your suggestions. Xxx

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey all,

A further update which is slightly worrying me.

Day 3 on pure chicken legs and a bit of chicken breast.

Today her poo was black and hard, appeared to be constipated and I also noticed a bit of blood. She was also meowing and again pooed on the carpet.

Do I need to start introducing wet food back into her diet?

As always appreciate the advice on here as my local vets at pets at home is uselsss and given where I am located the closest decent cat specialist vet is circa 60miles.

Regards,
H.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ewelsh , I've a couple of quick thoughts on this though am semi dormant re dietary issues these days. 9 years exposure to IBD x 4 has taken it's toll. ;) :oops:

My guess would be that dry food was recommended purely because less moisture input leads to less moisture output. ( I jest not.

My experiences have all been with issues at the other end of the digestive system so I can only advise from general principles.

We're it me I would gradually reduce the cooked chicken and substitute a good quality single protein, wet food.Chicken would be a good one to choose as she's already coping with chicken. Dry food contains all sorts of poor quality ingredients, not to mention that it's incredibly over processed. Dry food is a big profit maker that's why manufacturers , and some vets , like it.

Changing "flavours" of Felix is unlikely to make any difference if there is any intolerance involved. All Felix pouches contain multiple proteins.

A probiotic such as Bioglan , Optibac , or Bio Kult might be a good idea. The bacterial balance in her gut is likely to be completely disrupted if she has dire rear. Thinking of probiotics , anything containing Sacharomyces Boulardii is good for settling dire rear. Sorry, I can't spell it!

HTH

P S. Dylan's OK, very overweight but OK. Unfortunately his sidekick has recently been diagnosed with suspected idiopathic epilepsy .
Thanks this is noted, I will add probiotic again, she has already used one tube. I will find a decent wet food and add probiotic further.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts