Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

newbie hoping for help.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by buffie, Jun 4, 2010.

1. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Hi Folks

Im new to the forum. Ihave a 16wk ragdoll seal bicolour male.I have had 3cats before and many dogs all Afghan hounds but even with all the experience gained over the years I cant seem to fix the problem I have with my kitten biting,yes a ragdoll biting.
    He attacks randomly even when not being handled biting hands and arms ,Ive tried all the usual methods yelping in pain blowing in his face squirting with water ,time out and even scruffing him but it just makes him bite even harder.Most of the time he is a sweet natured cat but something seems to click in his head and he goes into feral mode.Please all you cat lovers and owners out there can you give me some advice,Ilove him to bits but he is going to be a big lad one day,if I cant sort this out before he grows this could be dangerous.He will be neutered in a few weeks but that may not make much difference.Thanks for reading the ramblings of a poor soul under the paw of a loveable rogue

2. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

Maybe worth getting a crate and when he goes 'feral' then you can pop him in it for a 'time out'

Some cats react very badly to aggressive discapline so time-outs and ignoring them is a better method as it doesn't trigger the 'fight' mode

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw I cant help ya but welcome :D

4. Wendy1969

Wendy1969 PetForums Member

Hopefully it is something he will grow out of. Perhaps he is still finding his feet within the household and feels the need to defend himself if he feels a little threatened? Have your tried a Feliway plug in? It might help him to feel more settled. Good luck, let us know how you get on :001_smile:

5. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

HI all

Many thanks for advice given on my ragdolls not so nice side. Iwill give it a try the crate idea seems like a good one.Someone at my vets suggested putting him in his carry cage but I didnt want him to think when he went to vets or whatever it was some kind of punishment .Iwill let you know how it goes, at the moment he is super chilled playing with his toy mice and cheese chaser.Nice to know there are like minded people out there willing to listen.no doubt i will be bending ears again.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice