UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really confused,i took my lab/retr(Toby)to the vet for his annual booster and general check-up everything was fine apart from she told me to change his diet,i have been feeding him tesco's senior complete for the last 2 years as well as giving him supplements such as a product called 'YUMOVE' for joint mobility,vitamins and coat conditioner liquid that all go on his food,for an 11 year old large boy-43kg-not overweight but very large boned boy he WAS in GREAT condition .The vet told me to to put him on BAKERS COMPLETE for the extra protein,well he has been on it for 4 weeks and wow the change in him has been terrible his coat is dry he is moulting really bad his ears have been sore and he is really hyperactive.I started to mention it to people and they all said the same it must be his food,i went into pets at home and they were totally shocked that a vet would advise me to give this to toby,they advised me to put him on wainrights,but would love to hear from others on what to feed him,i only want the best for him he is my baby:smile:i have looked at so many diff foods over the last few days and the best i could find was Eukanuba,james beloved,and burns..and the wainrights the pet shop advised but will be open to any other suggestions-no price is too high! thanks for reading any advise will be valued.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I'm really confused,i took my lab/retr(Toby)to the vet for his annual booster and general check-up everything was fine apart from she told me to change his diet,i have been feeding him tesco's senior complete for the last 2 years as well as giving him supplements such as a product called 'YUMOVE' for joint mobility,vitamins and coat conditioner liquid that all go on his food,for an 11 year old large boy-43kg-not overweight but very large boned boy he WAS in GREAT condition .The vet told me to to put him on BAKERS COMPLETE for the extra protein,well he has been on it for 4 weeks and wow the change in him has been terrible his coat is dry he is moulting really bad his ears have been sore and he is really hyperactive.I started to mention it to people and they all said the same it must be his food,i went into pets at home and they were totally shocked that a vet would advise me to give this to toby,they advised me to put him on wainrights,but would love to hear from others on what to feed him,i only want the best for him he is my baby:smile:i have looked at so many diff foods over the last few days and the best i could find was Eukanuba,james beloved,and burns..and the wainrights the pet shop advised but will be open to any other suggestions-no price is too high! thanks for reading any advise will be valued.
PS, The Yumove is a good idea - will help his joints, so I'd carry on with that.

Oh dear..... I can't believe your Vet advised you change to Bakers..... not good at all.

Have a look at the Dry Food sticky above..... but Wainwrights, Burns, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange, Skinners Duck and Rice or Salmon and Rice, Fish4Dogs are all good dry foods.

Naturediet, Natures Harvest, Wainwrights wet trays, Natures Menu or Arden Grange Partners are all good wet foods.

I would definitely change him from the Bakers as soon as possible, mixing in the new food gradually. Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wouldnt be feeding my dog anything with wheat in it, or dyes, mine got along nicely on harringtons, then my new dog came along and it didnt agree with him, so i changed to a raw diet and to be honest, i wouldnt feed anything else now, it need not be complicated, and you will find its cheaper to feed

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Tbh, at his age, I would be thinking along the lines of "if it isn't broke............."

That said, there are lots better foods he could be having that the Tesco Senior (but that has to be better than Bakers!!)

The links here will help you and this is a good website to help unravel the food minefield. Which Dog Food.co.uk

I'm a great fan of wet food, easier to digest and more natural for them.

See how he goes with a better quality food, it will be much better for him, but if he doesnt get along with it I'd stick with what works for him.

Def keep the Yumove going.

Blinking vets:mad: They should either learn more about nutrition or stick to what they know.:rolleyes::D

Hope you find something that your lad takes to:D

G

·
I have to say 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' if as you say he was in fine condition and doing well on what you were feeding him then quite frankly I would keep with it, there are a lot of great foods out there but it may take time and possible upset to find one that suits where as you already know what he thrives on.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
I'm a huge Arden Grange fan and have had previous dogs live to a very old age on AG Senior.

At the moment my two youngest are fed AG but the two oldies (14 and 11) are on The Natural Dog Food Company Senior and Sensitive respectively and they are both doing very, very well.

I was thanked at a show on Sunday by a couple of handlers who had changed their 'problem feeder' dogs onto this food and they were over the moon with the results.

HTH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.