Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie desperately needs advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stinkeypinkey, May 6, 2010.

1. stinkeypinkey

stinkeypinkey PetForums Newbie

Hello,

My name is Emma and i live in the staffs are with my hubby and 4 children.

We are looking for a puppy to join our family but are finding it difficult to find what we want. We would like a medium size breed which must be good with kids. We were thinking that perhaps a cross bread would be best but cannot find any anywhere. Ive looked on lots of websites but they all seemed to be pedigrees. Ive tried the local rescue places but there arent any puppies :( We only have £150 max to spend so where should we be looking?

Also are dogs or bitches better? ive heard pros and cons for both.

Many thanks in advance

Em xx

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hello Emma,welcom from me.
    Alot of the crossbreeds these days are as pricey as the pedigree dogs.
    What ages are your children?
    You could look at your local newspaper,or local farmers feed merchants.
    There are lots of sites with dogs for sale.I wont say dont visit them,as we all do! however just make sure you see any pups with their parents,you check as much about their background as you can,and of course make sure they are nice and healthy.Try not to buy the first you see,arrange to view several litters,so you can compare and find which suits you best.
    What kind of crosses do you like?

3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Alot of rescues do not have puppies on the website's so could be worth ringing round some (apologies if you have already) or try having a look on somewhere like <Dogpages UK dog rescue forums>

Where you can see all sorts of dogs in rescues around the UK, or post in the homes offered section and rescues and their reps may know of some puppies.

I know of two lots of staffie puppies in rescue atm, one is in the Wirral tho I think and not sure where the others are they are with Friends of the Animals RCT who are welsh based but use foster homes all around the UK. Staffies are amazing family dogs and great with kids.

4. stinkeypinkey

Thanks Bearpaw,

Yes i am begining to realise that crossbreeds are just as expensive :( Guess we are going to have to save more money :lol: I am thinking maybe a cocker spaniel or a small collie.

What would you suggest?

5. stinkeypinkey

Thank you

Ill take a look at that website.

Im really not sure about Staffies :confused1: im sure they are lovely but just not right for our family.

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh i cant make suggestions for you really,i thinks dogs really are personal choice lol.My lot are labs but would say if its your fist dog try not to go for a hectic breed.Collie,GSD,springers etc can have high energy levels. Have a look into some of the healthy issues and requirements of each breed too,it can often make you realise a certain breed may not suit your life style. Some crosses are gorgeous and these days real Heinz 57 dogs seem quite rare!!
    What area are you in?

7. stinkeypinkey

Thanks for your advice :)

We have had dogs before, my hubby had a collie and the we had a collie x whippet. I just dont know enough about breeds to make an informed decision :lol: which is why a heinz 57 would be brilliant :lol:

8. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

have a look on many tears.... There are puppies on there

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Speak to your local rescue, not all their dogs are on their websites. If you tell them your lifestyle and what you are looking for they will match you up with the right dog. We recently got a rescue greyhound, shes 16 months and suits are family very well! Shes a couch potato and very good with our 3 month old son!! Just ring them up, your not expected to rehome there and then, they are up for a friendly chat xxxx

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is the £150 just for the puppy? Do you have a seperate amount for all the "stuff" ; beds, food, toys, vaccinations etc, or does the £150 have to cover it all?

11. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I would very much doubt you would get a cocker for £150 :( As said the rescue centres don't tend to advertise puppies but they definately get litters in, generally crossbreeds but not always, so well worth a ring round, you might even have some dosh left over to spoil your new fur baby with ;)

Many Tears is worth a look they often have litters as they get pregnant bitches handed in ;)

Home for www.manytears.co.uk

12. stinkeypinkey

The £150 is just for the puppy. We have enough for all the other stuff :)

Thanks

13. rona

rona Guest

The trouble with a Heinz 57 puppy is, you really don't know what you are getting.
    If you rehomed a young dog, say 6-12months old, at least you have some idea of temperament.
    I advertised in a local paper, that I had a home waiting for a Goldie, and had 2 replies. You could try that, and then you could see the dog in it's previous home environment :)

14. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Like others have said many rescues have puppies, I think there are some on Many Tears. Also if you know what breed you want you could try the breed specific rescues who sometimes have puppies.

Are you absolutely sure you want a puppy? Ye Gods it's been such hard work and now we're hitting adolescence puppyhood seemed a breeze :scared: I don't think I could cope with four children and a pup but then maybe people with children are used to the chaos :lol:

Good luck with your search :D

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What area are you in, and would you be happy going down the rescue route for a puppy (not older dog)? Or would you prefer to get one directly from a breeder?

£150 is about the average donation/charge that rescues ask for.

16. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Visit all your local rescues and make yourself known to them. Usually we don't need to 'advertise' puppy's as we generally have waiting lists for them. Once the rescue know you and know you are serious about wanting to rehome a dog they'll make sure you are contacted when puppies become available. Ask if you can have a homecheck now, so that when some pups arrive you are ready to go. £150 will likely cover most rescues rehoming fee easily. Alot charge less for puppies as obviously you'll be responsible for having it neutured once old enough. Remember to budget for this because it will be part of the adoption agreement and a good rescue will ensure you have had it done.

Just to add, I'll bet you find yourself having a peek around the rescue if you visit and fall in love with a dog that you never thought you'd be attracted to!! My first rescue I went looking for a big hairy mutt...came home with a small, skinny hound with behavioural problems and attitude!!! 16 years on still got the evil monster but he's been such a wonderful companion and taught me so much I'll never regret giving him a home.

17. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Puppies and young children without question was the hardest thing i ever did :eek:.

It is the combination of the 2 while everyone learns the rules, was a VERY steep learning curve in my case and i have to say with hindsight i would have taken a slightly older rescue (say 9 or 10 months) that had been temperament tested and was used to small people so don't rule that out :)

Something i have learnt is that people often take on pups and then run out of steam with them at about 8/9 months just at the point whereby if you hang on in there for a couple more months it all calms down a bit and gets alot easier. I think those dogs are worth cashing in on if you are looking. Let someone else pay hundreds of pounds and then reap the benefit yourself ;)

18. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Its a shame when people say that as staffies are one of the dogs recognised as being amazing with kids and family life... and many people haven't even met one up close and personal and just believe what they read about them. Just to say don't automatically rule them out if you find one that matches your circumstances.

How old are your children as some rescues do have restrictions in place about childrens ages if you go down the rescue route - generally where the dog has not come from a known background. It can be good to look for a dog which has been in foster with children so can get an honest opinion from the foster carer of its temprament (rather than in private rehome where people could tell you anything... sure most don't but you never know)

#18 EmCHammer, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  19. hawksport

hawksport Banned

What is it about staffies you are not sure about? If it's their reputation then when you consider the huge number out there and the small number of bite cases and the circumstances that proves their good nature and puts things into perspective. There are lots of breeds that if owned in such numbers by the same people would have much higher bite statistics, my own breed included.

20. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

If you take a look at 'manytears' they often have puppies in, however alot of the time they have no real idea what crosses they are so could potentially turn into anything!
    you can usually tell by size of feet etc though roughly how big it will get.
    bitch or dog dosn't matter to me, and any breed can be good with kids if bought up correctly.
    also take a look on 'dogsblog' for 0-1 year old pups that need homes, or breed specific rescues.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice