Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Newbie and help needed!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by darkangel6976, Feb 17, 2008.

1. darkangel6976

darkangel6976 PetForums Newbie

Hello to all
    Hope everyone is enjoying a great sunday.
    I'm Rachel, married with 2 children.We have 4 pets which include a gerbil,a chinchilla and 2 guinea pigs and that's where the probem lies!
    Bought a smooth haired 9 wk old female agouti last week and she seemed lonely so yesterday afternoon we bought a female smooth haired english(common cinnamon type) but from a different pet shop. Both aren't related etc. The 2nd guinea pig is about the same age the pet shop owner said but she is a little bit bigger.
    Came home and put them in a neutral place with food and water. They frze for a while but then the new one came and got food and then the other did, they sniffed each other's bottoms and then both made the cooing noises but then the new one started getting naughty-she would push the other one outa the food bowl so we put 2 in, she took 1 of the two apples and would eat it and then if the first one came she would move her and get aggressive. She pushes her outa the way and makes her do the shrieking sound but then it stops and they do the cooing again but it all starts again-2nd one seems to pick on her and does it inside the covered hut we have too.
    She is doing it again right now.
    We had to split the cage in two last night so they wouldn't fight.
    Any advice would help-will they always be like this or is it normal because Pets at home said introduce them first not in the cage and they are suposed to be friendly and sociable creatures! The other pet shop said the said.
    Now what do I do!!???
    Help!
    ps not sure if this is where it should have gone.

2. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

Hi and welcome

wow not too sure what to say but i would say its better to not introduce any animal with food in the room as most animals do need to astablish a pecking order like who is the boss etc ... and you will find they might agrue over the food regardless if there are two bowls or one, as the one you already have will want to show that he/she is the boss and will hog anything of interest. Are they male and female or same sex ? i have heard that gender can be a problem too

good luck and i hope it sorts itself out :)

3. darkangel6976

they are females and its the new one that is causing all the problems-we introduced them just on their own before we gave them food-i did wot the pet shops and books told me to do but the newbie is bigger and maybe a week or so older and she is the problem one!
    My husband has just split the cage in two now-they can still say hi to each other we just have a divider up inbetween them-both got their own stuff aswell.

4. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

ok hopefully that will do the trick :) sorry cud not help i do not know much about them :)

5. Siamese Kelly

Siamese Kelly PetForums VIP

Hi Rachel and welcome to the forums, i'm sure you will pick up some helpful suggestions and advice from the relevant sections-good luck, have fun and enjoy:)

6. bordercolliepup

bordercolliepup PetForums Senior

Hello your in the right place to get some help we're all a friendly bunch :)

7. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome along to the forum

8. PatioDogDoors

PatioDogDoors PetForums Member

hi and welcome to the forum. enjoy your stay. hope you learn and we learn from you.

9. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

hello and welcome to the forum :)

10. claire

claire Guest

hiya..........:D

11. nici

nici PetForums Senior

hi and welcome, the only advise i can give is to seperate them i had two together and as they got older they started to fight and in the end one killed the other and i had them together from the begining,:(

12. Leanne1989

Leanne1989 PetForums Junior

HIya and welcome!:D
    Guinea Pigs are very noisey creatures and there vocab of different squeaks and rumbles can be alarming. It sounds as if you have a very greedy piggy and she is also quite dominant. This can be a problem but in most cases doing exactly what you have done( seperating them but so they still have close contact) is the best way for them to become firm friends. Sometimes boars can fight as they get older even having grown up together or even from the same litter but sows generaly get along great. I would recomend letting them get used to each others company through there divder for say another week and then trying them on completly nuetral ground ( i use the bath:p) should sort it. Its sad but animals are like poeple sometimes two will just not get on!! I would double check they are female just in case as some pet shops are known for making sexing mistakes. If oyu want anymore advice just ask!:D:D
    leanne x

13. darkangel6976

well thank you to all the people who said hi and the advice.
    it appears there has been abit of a role reversal!!
    the younger of the two seems to be equal now and she is now scurying around the kitchen while the other one is more timid and plays follow the leader. We have still decided to keep them apart in their cage and get them out for a few hours each day so all is going well so far!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice