Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

!Newbie Alert!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Luka'sMummy, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luka'sMummy

Luka'sMummy Banned

Hello all. My name' s Mary and I am no longer a pet owner but have had lots of pets in my life. We lived on a farm in Ireland you see as youngsters and had dogs and horses. I am quite old now nearing 70 and think I ought to stop now with the pets as am beginning to get unsteady on my feet so certainly wouldn't be able to give a dog the exercise it needs. Or ride a blo*dy horse! I have quite a lot of advice to give though and like to think that someone else will find it useful. After my little Yorkshire Terrier girl Luka passed on to go spend time with the angels I decided no more pets! Hope you can find some use of me in this forum but I am certainly not a tech wizz. xx

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Hi Mary and welcome to Pet forums. :)
    I'm sorry you feel you're unable to keep any pets now. have you thought about adopting a cat from a rescue ? There are many homeless ones out there looking for a loving home.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, and welcome to PF.

Sorry to hear that you don't have any pets now.

4. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Hello LM :). I'm interested in the upside-down exclamation mark at the beginning of your title: are you using a Spanish keyboard?

Anyway, back to animals :). Fancy rats are amazing pets, and don't need taking for walks...... or how about a cat?

5. Luka'sMummy

Luka'sMummy Banned

I don't think a cat would suite me dears because I get ever so attached to my pets like anyone really and with cats I don't like the fact you have to let them out to go and explore and don't know where they are or what they are doing. It would make me ever so worried and I don't want to spend the rest of my years worried to death.

6. Blaise in Surrey

Lots of us have indoor cats - they are perfectly able to live in that way, especially with an adoring slave at home :)

7. planete

planete PetForums Senior

Hi Mary and welcome. I am 70 too and can understand that exercising pets can become a bit of a struggle. I am sorry to hear you have health problems and cannot have the comfort of a pet any longer. I hope you will enjoy reading about all the PF beloved animals and spend many hours browsing here as I do.

Luka'sMummy likes this.
  8. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

Luka'sMummy likes this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Luka'sMummy: I adopted a cat who was handed in to the local rescue aged nine (with the same family) as, according to them, they were 'fed up with her as she wouldn't go out'. My guess was also that she had been acquired for the children who were now older and no longer interested in her. She was a lovely ginger female and she never showed any interest in going out, even tho' we have a cat flap for those that do fancy a wander. Really sweet gentle creature who would have made a lovely only pet. Not a kitten, so not tempted to climb the curtains or pull them down, etc. Plenty of nice quiet older cats desperate for a home and overlooked for younger cats, and who would happily live indoors.:Cat

#9 Calvine, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  10. Luka'sMummy

Luka'sMummy Banned

@Blaise in Surrey I've never heard of a indoor cat before, may you explain to me how this works?

@Calvine I don't know the cat you adopted sounds really lovely, I am worried though if I adopt an older cat there is not guaranteeing I will get one with little interest for the outdoors. Then if it doesn't go to plan I am left with worrying as I wouldn't have the heart to return the cat to the rescue again.

@kimthecat @LinznMilly @Blaise in Surrey @planete @Bobbie @Calvine I'd like to say thank you for welcoming me to the forum.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Blaise in Surrey

So Luka's Mummy was not what she seemed.....

Think I'll reply only to established posters from now on - I'd actually been worrying about her :(

12. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Strange! She posted a few hours ago.and now banned.!

I wont stop posting to newbies though. They deserve a welcome .

13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

She didn't last long! :)

14. planete

planete PetForums Senior

I smelt something fishy. You do not get unsteady on your legs just because you are nearing 70! Hence my mentioning potential health problems to see if I got a response. And any newbie who comes offering her wisdom in her first posts has probably not acquired much of that during her long(?) life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice