Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Charlottemartin20, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Charlottemartin20

Charlottemartin20 PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m new to this I have a pug she is one her name is candy only had her a month and I love her to bits but she dose not really like my other half she is more for me but she keep going to the loo on my floor and when ever I go out she never dose anything and I take her out 2 times a day can anyone help xx

Attached Files:

2. Darkangelwitch

Darkangelwitch Princess Shona

How old is she? If she is a puppy then she will need to go out a lot more than twice a day. If she is older she may be feeling disorientated and scared of her new surroundings.

Either way try to take her out a lot more often, be patient and don’t get upset or annoyed if she has an accident indoors. When she does go outdoors give her a treat immediately, it won’t take her long to work out where is supposed to go.

Also, have a look at the sticky threads on here, I am sure there is one about toilet training which you would find very useful :)

rona likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Tell your OH to try ignoring her - completely. Not even eye contact which can appear intimidating to a dog. Let her go to your OH in her own time if she wants to.

For the toileting, is this a new thing? First suggestion is always a vet check to make sure it is really a behavioural issue and not just a medical one.

Then, you should go right back to basics with toilet training. Your main objective is to make sure she is always outside when she wants to toilet. So take her out every hour or so, on a lead, and wait with her while she toilets. If she doesn't toilet within five minutes or so bring her back in but don't take your eyes off her - any hint of a toilet, get her outside fast. If she doesn't try to toilet inside take her back out after 15 or 20 minutes and repeat. You need her to toilet outside so you can reward her with something fabulous. Toilet training for a dog happens when she wants to hold her toilet enough to earn her reward so maybe get a new reward that is only used for outside toilets - tiny pieces of roast chicken or frankfurter sausage are good. When she does toilet outside, praise her like mad and immediately reward her with several pieces of her treat. It has to be immediately so it is clear that it is for toileting and not for anything else, and that's why you need to be outside with her.

If she has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed she may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if she needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at them TOILETING, as opposed to toileting INDOORS. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken her outside in time. Not when she is there though in case you scare her. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract her back to the spot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice