Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Westie pup on the way

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stephen Harper, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Stephen Harper

Stephen Harper PetForums Newbie

Hi all
    New here!

Along with everything else the Mrs (boss) has tasked me with a list of jobs to do re pending new arrival. He's about 4 weeks away.
    The one I've just arrived at is "looking into Insurance"
    I've got quite a few quotes :eek: not cheap.
    What are peoples thoughts on the subject?

He is a pedigree West Highland Terrier dog from a Kennel Club registered breeder (called Mrs Breed :cool:) and presumes will be kennel club registered and he comes with 'we have been told' with a 5-month warranty 'thingy' + chipped and inoculations.

Any thoughts and information would be welcome.

All the best
    Stephen

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

You are best to be looking at lifetime cover at approximately £7,000 per year.

Pet plan is the only one that doesn't increase prices after a claim as far as I know. It may seem expensive with a young dog, but on a whole worth it.

It's up to you who you go with, but it's not as easy as you think to chop and change Pet Insurance as it is say things like car insurance to get a better deal. If your dog is treated for anything even if you do not claim, or something may be noted on the clinical notes than these become pre existing conditions. If you want to change insurances in the future then you will not be able to claim for these things. It's also not as simple as it seems. Say for example your dog has an upset stomach at 6 months. Your vet gives a course of antibiotics. Dog is fine and well in a few days. You change insurances on next renewal for a better deal. The new insurance could exclude all problems with the digestive tract. That's a hell of a lot of conditions excluded that you will have to pay for.

The good thing about insurance is it gives you peace of mind and makes us all grateful for the NHS.

CheddarS and Stephen Harper like this.
  3. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Petplan, definitely. Expensive but you get what you pay for. Take out a cheap cover and you may regret it later, when the premiums go up. Also, some vets won't do direct claims with some insurance companies, but most will do with Petplan.

Your pup may come with 4 or 5 week insurance cover - likely to be Kennel Club or Petplan so you will
    have more time to research more. There are threads on insurance on most dog forums.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy.

Stephen Harper likes this.
  4. Stephen Harper

This is today with Pet Plan.

Classic

£32.79
    per month
    £393.48 a year

Classic+
    £37.21:confused:
    per month
    £446.52 a year

Ultimate
    £52.55
    per month
    £630.60 a year

Veterinary fees (each year)
    Classic£4,000
    £110 excess per illness/injury
    Classic+£7,000
    Ultimate£12,000

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Insurances are based are where you live and vet prices in your area.

Pet plan as far as I know cover dental costs too; if teeth checked yearly which vets do on annual health check up part of which comes with your booster vaccination.

Those of us who have had to pay for dentals will tell you they are worth it but pricey

Dentals are more commonly needed in toy and small breeds as well as those which are pointy mouthed although that is often to a lesser degree. Sometimes with all the best will in the world and the greatest dental hygiene routine you can't help dogs dentition.

The classic+ is probably the best insurance to go for, for a small breed.

It's really up to you, but the majority of others are underwritten by RSA whilst they pay out and most people never have a problem with them, they have huge increases with claims. Plus if you do ever need a referral, they are choosing for you. So may incur travel costs and not who you would rather see.

Ones to avoid just from the grapevine would be Animal Friends and E and L.

You will find probably a mixed bag of reviews online. Most people tend to complain rather than commend.

It's entirely up to you to be honest.

6. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Go with Pet Plan for peace of mind. Check with your vet as most vets will charge them direct as opposed to you paying then having to claim.

7. Stephen Harper

Thanks everybody for your ideas and input.

8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My oldest dog has turned 9 and this year they increased the excess rather than the monthly payments. He had £3000 worth of treatment one year and this didn’t make a difference. His insurance premium has hardly increased over the years (£31 to £36 a month). My Yorkshire Terrier is 7 and her premium has increased from £32 to £53 a month. I’ve never claimed for her.

9. Stephen Harper

What did they say about the increase for the Yorkshire?

10. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Junior

I'm with Lifetime Pet Cover. Had a fairly big claim (in the thousands) and no increase in premiums the following year. Not relevant for you now but they were the only ones I could find that offered whole of life cover for my elderly dog (11 when I first adopted her, 14 now).

11. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

I am with Petplan, £7k cover but less excess (but I took it out 7 years ago) and they have been fabulous. I pay a lot more as larger breed/ different location etc but their payment has been brilliant. They only increase cost of living each year versus claims which is great. But like most companies will increase substantially once the dog becomes a senior e.g, 8 years of age.

12. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I'm with petplan and they've been good the two times I've claimed. Just for added info once the dog reaches a certain age, I can't remember when 8 9??, they ask for excess + 20% of the bill for a claim.
    Personally I'm not sure whether I'd bother with insurance in the future.

13. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I never asked but assume it’s because she is likely to cost more in vet bills than a Lhasa/poodle.

14. Stephen Harper

More Than has come in at a good price.
    Any thoughts?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice