Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New venture.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lauren5159, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I started a new venture a couple of days ago called A Dog's Scotland.

I'm currently setting up a website which will be dedicated to all things dog related in Scotland. Good walks including livestock levels, dog friendly places to eat and dog friendly places to stay :)

It's been we'll received so far and we hit 500 likes on Facebook today.

If you feel inclined, please like the Facebook page www.facebook.com/adogsscotland

And if you're feeling really generous and have a walk in Scotland, places to eat and stay and you'd like to share, you can post below with details and pics etc and I'll add it to the site, or send me an email to info@adogsscotland.com or pl me through the Facebook page.

It's good fun and over time, I'm hoping it'll be the go-to website for everything dog friendly in Scotland :D

2. DogsGoneRoaming

DogsGoneRoaming PetForums Member

I have liked your page. We always holiday in the new forest and never really leave the south of England but i keep trying to convince the partner to go up to Scotland as loved going there for Army training as a school kid.

Lauren5159 likes this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Fantastic - i've liked the page.
    Hoping to make it to Scotland in the next couple of years for a holiday so will follow the page with interest :)

LinznMilly and Lauren5159 like this.
  4. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Great idea! I've liked it just so I can see all the gorgeous doggies in scenic locations :D

Lauren5159 likes this.
  5. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

I know a ton of awesome walks and places to eat. I'll email you when I get a minute. Got a load of photos too!

Lauren5159 likes this.
  6. Lauren5159

That would be awesome, thank you :)

7. Lauren5159

Thanks to everyone who has liked so far :)

I'm on my phone so it won't let me multi-quote :rolleyes:

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I liked this on FB though I it was your boy :)

9. Lauren5159

Haha, a few people have said the same thing.
    It is indeed :D

new westie owner likes this.
  10. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Good places for food or drink in Glasgow that are very dog friendly and me and Axel are true regulars there:
    • West Brewery (East End)
    • Drygate (East End)
    • The Bungo (South Side)
    • BrewDog (West End and City Centre)
    • Rum Shack (South Side)
    • Lebowski's (South Side and West End)
    :D

Lauren5159 likes this.
  11. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

I will be liking your page. We are going to Loch Ness in July so will be interested to see if there's any recommendations for that area :)

Lauren5159 likes this.
  12. Lauren5159

Thank you :D

13. Lauren5159

I've got loads to add for Loch Ness and Inverness. I used to live there so know the area quite well :)

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have liked it, should be interesting - what a good idea

Lauren5159 likes this.
  15. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

Sounds a great idea. Off to Argyll in September so will check it out.

Lauren5159 likes this.
  16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Great idea! Good luck with it.

I often use similar sites to try and find dog friendly places, but they rarely turn out to be comprehensive and I waste a lot of time investigating the options, only to find restrictions.

Such as dog friendly accommodation that states in the small print on the very last screen that dogs are restricted to downstairs in the property and not allowed on the furniture.

Jack sleeps in his bed on the floor next to my side of the bed and I know he would not settle downstairs on his own in a strange property.

And he is allowed on the furniture at home ;)

I would take my own bedding and throws to protect the property, but I don't want to have to worry about this, nor would I take liberties with someone's property and ignore their rules which limits the number of properties to choose from.

They also advertise a garden, but are rarely truly secure.

So finding what I consider a truly dog friendly property is actually quite hard.

Lauren5159 likes this.
  17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think you possibly have rather high expectations. I would not expect to be able to have dogs on furniture or in the bedroom. I think that is a fairly blanket rule. I have never been to a cottage with a secure garden either.
    our cottage that we are going to let out does have a secure garden but I would be most put out to find dirt or dog hairs on the furniture or in the bedroom. My dogs are not allowed in the bedrooms, why should someone elses be. And what happens if the next person has a dog allergy.

shadowmare and Lauren5159 like this.
  18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Fair enough and it's your property, your rules ;)

But I do let my dog on the furniture and upstairs, so if I take my dog on holiday I want to be able to relax. Jack doesn't "do floors" :)

Which is why I look for properties that suit my way of living and many do. They are just harder to find. :)

Tbh if I let a property out I would make it either "dog prohibited" or "dog friendly" and furnish accordingly. Hopefully, everybody would be happy :)

If I didn't have a dog I would choose "dog prohibited", as it happens :)

(Same as now my son is grown up, I avoid holidays and restaurants where children are welcomed! ;))

I've booked a DF property with a secure garden for later in the year as it happens (after much searching). Nowhere in the blurb does it mention any dog restrictions and all the reviews raved about it's DFness ;)

I shall take our own bedding, throws and Jack's bed, and pick up/wash down after him in the garden and leave the place clean and tidy.

Lauren5159 likes this.
  19. Lauren5159

That's what I'm trying to build :) Each recommendation will have a review detailing the pros and cons of the property by people who have stayed or eaten there. Same with the walks, they'll be detailed enough with difficulty level, mud factors, livestock levels, length etc and pictures along the way.

It's a lot of work but it'll be worth it :D

I'm also going to set up a list of A Dog's Scotland verified places to eat and stay which Skip and I have used and found to be brilliant.

Secure gardens will be listed on all self catering lets, as will furniture restrictions and in hotels, it'll be highlighted where the dogs are and are not allowed.

I've got my work cut out lol.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have stayed in a fair few places and every one has said no dogs on furniture or in bedroom. I have to admit I have been known to cover everything and let them up but if it did not state that then the furniture could end up wrecked, at least if you are breaking the rules you will be careful not to leave any evidence! tbh I would think a lot of property owners would not think it needs specifying and before I came on here it would not have ocurred to me as everyone I know keeps their dogs on the floor pretty much and certainly do not go in bedrooms.
    Was it on here that someone said they went to a dog friendly cottage and were horrified by the restrictions. I would assume those restrictions were in place. A cleaner comes in on change over day and gets about 2 hours to clean up and if furniture is stained or torn it cannot be used again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice