Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New vaccine

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Just got my issue of rabbiting on and theres a report in it about a new vaccine to replace the current myxo. Its a two in one jab against both myxo and VHD needing to be given just once a year.

Its called NobiVac Myxo-RHD. Will be available later this year and the current NobiVac Myxo will be withdrawn.

2. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

They haven't decided if the combi jab will replace the singe vaccines yet.
    Once the vaccine has been released in March and further tests have been done, they will be reviewing withdrawing the single vaccines.

Personally I hope they keep the single vaccine because 2 of my rabbits can't be vaccinated for VHD due to their compromised immune system :( So if they stop making the single vaccine I won't be able to vaccinate those two at all :(

3. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

The note I've got says it will be withdrawn in the autumn at around the same time as the new one is released.

"The old myxomatosis vaccine will be withdrawn at about the same time as the new product comes out, but this is not expected until the autumn." Quote taken directly from the note.

4. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I've been emailing the company that make the vaccine, and that is what I have been told.

5. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I thought it was being launched in March. :confused:

6. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

That's what I have been told.

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

interesting I personally think its a great idea providing that its just as effective. Not only will this reduce costs especially to rescues but it might actually make some tight ass people who shouldnt have got rabbits in the first place get them vaccinated.

8. B3rnie

B3rnie Guest

I think the combi vaccine is a great idea, but they should keep the single vaccines too for rabbits that have a compromised immune system.

The vhd jab will actually kill my Valour so the combi is completely out of the question for him, at least with the singles I can still give him protection against mxyi. If they stop the singles he will no protection :(

I know many others that will experience the same problem :nonod:

9. Minion

Minion PetForums Member

I'm sure if it is a common problem among rabbits they will have a small supply of it.

As for a combo vaccine costing less than 2 injections, I'm guessing the cost is likely to be a little lower than 2 but close enough. Vets are not going to want to lose out on money. I've had some good vets in the past and then I have had some that will try and get every penny they can out of you... sometimes at the risk of your pet suffering more than it should!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice