Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New user, puppy help required

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by andybtsn, Jul 3, 2009.

1. andybtsn

andybtsn PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

We bought a Chocolate Labrador pup to accompany our already two year old black Lab 3/4 weeks ago, the puppy appeared to be a healthy, loving pup, that fed well and got on great with his new "brother". The pup came KC registered from a reputable breeder.

Unfortunately over the past week and a half Pillsbury (his name) appeared to be losing hair on the top of his head, more and more would be noticeable and we duly booked him into the Vets, he was due his injection anyway.

The vet had a look at the problem but can not tell for definite the problem but it appears that Pills has a parasite under his skin which is eating away :( It wasn't only his head the bald patches are present but also all over his body, just not as noticeable.

Pills is due to go back to the vet to have skin samples taken and tested to see what is wrong with him.

Has anyone encountered this problem before with Pups? We are yet to speak to the breeder as we are waiting until Monday but it's a good chance Pills' brothers and sisters could have the same problem.

Unfortunately due to how long we've had him we were yet to add him onto the insurance too so it's quite worrying for his health and our costs.

Any help is appreciated as the wife and I are very down about our little pup at the mo!

Here is a pic before the problem!

[​IMG]

Thanks

Andy

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Is Pilsbury scratching at all? Just wondering if it can be sarcoptic mange.
    Did you get any insurance from the breeder - I think most good breeders give 4-6 weeks insurance now.

3. I would have thought that as Jazzy has already mentioned your boy should have come with 6 weeks free insurance along with his KC REgistration! If I remember right it would have been up to you to have put this into your own name!
    regards
    DT

4. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

carnt comment as i dont know but how cute is he, so adorable x

5. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Do the puppy have anything in his skin that looks like DANDRUFF, the reason I ask is because my daughter bought a Cavalier King Charles puppy which was K.C reg'd and the day she bought it home she took it to the vets for a check up and the vet noticed that it had flakey skin cells in patches over its body, he told my daughter to bring the pup back the following day for skin tests, but that night i looked on the internet and found it to be WALKING DANDRUFF which is a mite that lives on the cells of the pup and used the dead skin to get around and hide itself, my daughter took the pup to the vet the following day and told him what i had found, and he was amazed how quick I had found the problem, he knew but needed a skin test done to be certain,. She had to bath the dog in a solution and was given tablets aswell, she had to wash her hands after touching the puppy, and had to boil wash or throw out the bedding it was on as the mites lay eggs, so she had the tablets and solution to break the circle of mites laying eggs and them hatching. I may be wrong but it is worth looking as this is contagious. Hope he will be ok and good luck on the testing in the vets. xxxx P.s My daughter had £100 back from the breeder who had to treat her other pups and mother. ( it is passed on by the mother to her puppies).

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I do hope the vet can sort Pillsbury quickly.
    But I'm surprised as well, that the breeder didn't give your any insurance with your puppy, I thought all good breeders did. We were given 6 weeks with Petplan when we had Amber.

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

soooooooo sweet! :D

He's so adorable..

Sorry i cannot answer your worries but just had to say how adorable he is...

I want him!! :smilewinkgrin:

8. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I can't offer any advice, but he is gorgeous! Our next lab will be either black or brown.

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

try not to worry to much i will be OK, sweet puppy

10. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Sorry but your post made me splurt my drink all over lol

archielee will be ok puppy all is good lololololol

I know you meant IT will be ok but at a first read it made me laugh - sorry if this was mean - but my sense of humour is uncontrollable by my brain :D x

I am sure your pup will be fine op when I picked up Fey she was convered in tiny lice and fleas when the vet gave me the right treatment she got better really quickly

11. mistique57

mistique57 PetForums Junior

I bought a great dane some 15 yrs ago and he had the same problem i contacted the breeder and asked if she was prepared to pay the vets fees she said yes so i forwarded her a vets copy and she paid it.

12. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

sounds a bit like sarcoptic mange. Go to a different vert for a second opinion :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice