Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to this! Wormer that is safe for shrimp?

Discussion in 'New Aquarium Advice' started by Paigeesaurus, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Paigeesaurus

Paigeesaurus PetForums Newbie

Hi! I'm new to keeping fish.
    I have a 56 litre (about 12 gallon?) tank with a few platy a baby bristlenose pleco and a amano shrimp (might be a bit of a bizarre combination?) I am planning to upgrade to a larger tank as they grow.

I already had live plants in as I was cycling the tank and getting it ready. My clever self thought it would be okay to add more a few weeks later, once all the fish had been in there a while. After a while I noticed a couple of my platy were producing white poop, which I believe could be linked to an internal parasite? It isn't constantly but I wanted to know if there is a safe medication I can use to treat the tank, that won't kill my shrimp, just incase this is something I need to be worried about. I have treated them with AquaCare general tonic (which is safe for shrimp, snails and plants) not long after adding the plants, but I don't think that does anything for parasites if this is the case.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid here! I've asked google plenty of questions but I thought it would be best I post it here.
    I check the water parameters and do water changes (about 25%) on a regular basis.

2. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

I have not had the problem myself. But maybe try to go to your local fish store and ask to speak to someone who knows about fish. Now I use sechem prime, and API melafix to treat anything.

Erm, I am sure someone on here will know though. I have just realised that we are in lockdown and so going to your local fish store is not possible currently. I hope that your problem gets solved.

O and welcome to the lovely world of keeping fish. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice