UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely new to the idea of raw feeding, I am being a typical uneducated human and feeling bit weird at the thought of my dog eating raw meat and organs...... however, from what I've seen on here it seems to be the better option so I'm open minded to it.

I will be getting a shihtzu puppy soon. What sort of raw would a shihtzu be able to eat? I've seen the stickys but theres so much info I can't see what Im looking for.

Could I feed a mixed diet so a good quality complete food for breakfast or lunch and then raw as dinner?

Do dogs eat the whole carcass? for example chicken? Would the smaller bones not hurt or cause problems going down?

Is it better to be completely raw or will cooking first be ok?

If its a big 'bone' can you take it away and re-feed the next day if necessary?

Sorry for the complete lack of knowledge but where better to find out then here!! :eek:

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am completely new to the idea of raw feeding, I am being a typical uneducated human and feeling bit weird at the thought of my dog eating raw meat and organs...... however, from what I've seen on here it seems to be the better option so I'm open minded to it.

I will be getting a shihtzu puppy soon. What sort of raw would a shihtzu be able to eat? I've seen the stickys but theres so much info I can't see what Im looking for.

Could I feed a mixed diet so a good quality complete food for breakfast or lunch and then raw as dinner?

Do dogs eat the whole carcass? for example chicken? Would the smaller bones not hurt or cause problems going down?

Sorry for the complete lack of knowledge but where better to find out then here!! :eek:
I've been feeding raw for a few weeks now so don't know everything.

I'm sure a shihtzu could eat anything any other raw dog can, just smaller portions!

It's generally better to feed raw in the morning and kibble at night IF you decide to do that!

Yeah they eat the whole carcass, raw bones don't splinter so are a lot safer, especially chicken bones as there quite flexible when raw!

Completely raw. Cooked bones are dangerous and can splinter, causing problems.

If my dogs not ate something for breakfast, I'll put it back in the freezer till the next meal time! So I'd say yes you can take it away and re-feed at the next meal time!

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon :D

·
Registered
5,685 Posts

A shih tzu can eat all kinds of meat ranging from chicken wings to lambs heads.
My Jack Russell eats raw ranging from very large to very small pieces.

Raw chicken bones are fine and yes they eat the whole carcuss :) the bones are soft and dont splinter like cooked bones.

My opinion is that raw is best, you can't feed cooked bones anyway plus the food loses nutritional value when cooked. Some people feed a home cooked diet but IMO more work needs to go into it to make sure they get everything they need.

Yes you can give a large bone, allow him to eat his daily amount then put it back in the freezer or fridge until the next day. In fact a very large meal could be fed over a few days.

I'm not really sure about feeding complete and raw. Some people say its ok others say they should be fed 12 hours apart.

Welcome to pet forums :D

·
Registered
8,415 Posts

A small dog can everything a massive dog can, just look at Sixstars Alfie! he's a little westie that eats the same food as her newfie! just takes the food away once he's had his amount.

I try and feed whole carcasses as often as i can, and everything is raw i NEVER cook for the boys.

Yes you can give large meals, take it away and give back the next day :)

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
I board a Shih Tzu during the Spring and Summer and she gets through chicken wings, drumsticks (I originally wrote drunksticks :lol: ) and she's even nabbed a carcass off my boy before.

Pen was 12 weeks when this photo was took. She didn't eat the whole carcass, had her fill then the boy got the rest as his dinner.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aww shes gorgeous! I was shopping last night looking at the meat section wondering what shihtzus could eat. haha.

How many chicken drumsticks would she have a day? Do you need to add anything else so its a balanced diet?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
aww shes gorgeous! I was shopping last night looking at the meat section wondering what shihtzus could eat. haha.

How many chicken drumsticks would she have a day? Do you need to add anything else so its a balanced diet?
How much does she weigh?

Average Shih Tzu weighs between 4kg and 7kg (according to the net) so 2% of 4kg is 80g - that would be 80g a day. and 2% of 7kg would be 140g a day. However if she's exercised well, I'd do 3% of her bodyweight.

Missy Shih Tzu got a drumstick/wing for breakfast then some dry and wet food in the evening. But she was going on long walks with mine.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much does she weigh?

Average Shih Tzu weighs between 4kg and 7kg (according to the net) so 2% of 4kg is 80g - that would be 80g a day. and 2% of 7kg would be 140g a day. However if she's exercised well, I'd do 3% of her bodyweight.

Missy Shih Tzu got a drumstick/wing for breakfast then some dry and wet food in the evening. But she was going on long walks with mine.
I don't have her yet. Just forward thinking!

Do you give her mouth a good clean afterwards cause of the raw meat?

·
Registered
12,225 Posts

:confused: Why would I clean her mouth? :confused:

Oh if you mean her beard, no. But then I have other dogs that clean that for her. :p

·
Registered
4,735 Posts

Would that breed's mouth be more hairy than a Bichon?

This is probably the messiest raw boney meal that Poppy has tackled (a chunk of rabbit, she didn't have all of it in one go, went back into the freezer after a while) and I didn't have to wipe her mouth. They do a pretty good job of licking their lips and cleaning up themselves. I've never wiped her mouth.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would that breed's mouth be more hairy than a Bichon?

This is probably the messiest raw boney meal that Poppy has tackled (a chunk of rabbit, she didn't have all of it in one go, went back into the freezer after a while) and I didn't have to wipe her mouth. They do a pretty good job of licking their lips and cleaning up themselves. I've never wiped her mouth.

Pretty similar. Maybe a bit longer haired inbetween grooms.

It seems plausible that they would lick themselves clean. I'm just worrying over the raw meat contaminating anything if bits are left behind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.