Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to the room

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by ZAULTAG, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ZAULTAG

ZAULTAG PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Im new to the forum, just thought i would say hello and introduce myself. I bred my first litter of pups this year and really enjoyed myself. I am now thinking of doing this as a small part time hobby of mine, i have 5 dogs at present and i bred one of my bitches to an outside male.

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

hi welcome
    do you show them ?
    do you have any picutres,
    everyone loves to see each others pets

3. ZAULTAG

ZAULTAG PetForums Newbie

No i dont show them, most of my dogs have found me rather than purchasing them lol.
    I have two patterdale x Jack russels a bitch and a dog
    1 American bull dog x staff bitch whom i bred from this year
    1 american bull dog x mastiff dog who is my special boy
    1 pure jack russell ruff haired bitch.

I have either taken them home or rescued them and some of them live where i keep my horses as they were outdoor dogs

4. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

your dogs sound lovely and you have done a good job by rescuing them.

Just a note to say many people on here are very much against breeding from cross bred dogs as ther are so many in rescues already and other reasons, I'm letting you know as you will encounter some strong views on this subject.

5. ZAULTAG

ZAULTAG PetForums Newbie

And i think you so much for that, I am aware that people can be opionionated and I do have very much to learn. Im happy to listen and absorb everyones views however I belive there are as many full bred dogs in the pounds now as there are Mongrels.

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

I also said in another thread you may not have seen yet that many pure breeds have their own rescues so the problem is much bigger than just with cross bred dogs.

7. ZAULTAG

ZAULTAG PetForums Newbie

yes your right!

thanks for the warning anyway, hopefully i will not get picked on

8. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

No not picked on, they are just very passionate about this subject and believe strongly in only breeding pure pred dogs with a known medical and temperament hystory, which I agree is a very good point,
    I have a soft spot for a mutt as we used to own 2 cross bred dogs when I live with my parents who were so lovely and healthy ( the dogs not my parents lol), my mother has a border terrier cross jack russel and she is such a nice dog everyone falls in love with her, she has been neutered though.

9. xxjackyxx

xxjackyxx PetForums Junior

If you are not breeding to better the breed then why breed at all?

People that breed properly put so much effort into it and actually do not make huge profits (if any in some cases) to proudly announce that you breed x breeds with no clue of their backgrounds i find quite alarming.

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Hope you don't mind me pointing out, u have a thread selling pups, you said the dam was a full bred staff? did u forget to add her to the list lol ?

11. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Its not about picking on people - its about trying to stop people breeding willy nilly with cross bred dogs. I am one of those with VERY strong views on this subject - you will find the post on here somewhere and will be able to see all sides of the coin on this subject. I dont agree with breeding them for many reasons...for instance the danger through breeding an american bull cross mastiff with whatever breed you choose - both of these breeds have different temperaments and dont match up at all....could lead to some temper problems let alone the list I could go on and on with.
    Maybe you could tell us why you think its a good idea to breed from your cross breeds?

12. Brainless

Brainless Guest

As you have been told many people will strongly disagree with the kind of breeding you have done/plan to do.

Breeding itself should not be a hobby only part of one that consists of working or maintaining and improving a breed and it's bloodlines. that rather rules out crossbreeds bred for no good reason.

I will say no more, but ask you to carefully read these links and reconsider your actions, and consider the bigger picture and welfare implications of too many dogs beign bred already.

Dog-Play: Use this guide to obtain a quality puppy from a responsible breeder

No Puppy Mills Canada - What is a Puppy Mill?

13. ZAULTAG

ZAULTAG PetForums Newbie

yes lol i did! apolagies everyone it was late last night and i was nakered.

Jacky - I can completly understand your point, however a lot of full breed dogs are also prone to health problems, i have not owned a Doberman yet that when old aged suffered with Wobblers Syndrome. X Breeding can just as well provide healthy happy dogs as well as ones with medical problems as can breeding full bred.

14. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Just because there are poorly bred pedigree dogs doesn't make it right to breed from rescue crossbreeds.

How are you better and what are you doing to ensure you breed healthy dogs?

You cannot even start with the basics of pedigree research into the ancestors. do you know what they died of, and how long they lived. More importantly what were tehri temperaments like?

Have your dogs been Hip scored, eye tested, checked for slipping patellas, have good bites. Do you even know which health problems might be inherent in your dogs mixed ancestry?

What purpose does breeding from your dogs fill, that cannot be filled by better bred pedigree dogs or from those already in rescue?

Where do you think all those rescue dogs come from from? From litters where the breeder and or owners do not have lifetime commitment to their puppies.

Just because sadly the poor breeders outnumber the good does not mean you should be one of them.

What is to stop one of your pups ending up in an ignorant persons home (after all who else would buy a crossbred pup rather than rescue one). Who isn't to say another tragedy isn't waiting to happen.

I know a lot of doberman owners and breeders and have only met one with wobblers, and that was a rescue dog.

Maybe it is because the owners and breeders I know have well bred dogs where such issues are tested for before breeding.

Sadly lack of longevity is an issue, and a friend has lost 3 dogs under 8 years of age, all with auto immune problems, at least one of which was very soon after a booster vaccination. She has also had two girls live to 13 years or more, and I know a number of oldies in the breed, just want more of these.

Careful research into the pedigrees and longevity of a dogs ancestors can help stack the odds in ones favour, but for this to happen you need to have experience or know people who have been in the breed long enough to know most of the dogs in a pedigree. sometimes breeding is about damage limitation as some problems don't emerge until after breeding age.

Those dogs dying young may well have passed on these traits and breeders then need to take remedial action in their breeding program.

Maybe the dobes you had were from breeders with breeding standards similar to your own???

15. xxjackyxx

xxjackyxx PetForums Junior

There are many irresponsible people breeding 'pedegree' dogs too. But there are also many many more doing it properly and for the good of their breed, and most of them operate a waiting list, will take back any dog that can no longer be kept and have generations of good breeding to fall back on for health and temperament.

There is no excuse at all for breeding x breeds and especially not ones from rescue.

every cross breed that you breed and sell takes up a home that a rescue dog could have gone to.

Breeding x breeds for a hobby is the most selfish thing i have heard to be honest, you are putting your bitches at risk to make you feel better and for fun!! You are breeding puppies with no history or guarantees. If you got these dogs from a rescue then they as bad for net speying them, if you rescued them yourself then you are no better than a puppy farmer!!

I will not apologise for getting angry over this subject

16. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Also what is the Dogs Home Battersea, my local dogs home and rescues up and down the country most full of?

Poorly bred Staffies and Staffie crosses. It is so bad that reputable Stafford breeders are being asked to keep their breeding activities to a minimum because of the rescue crisis.

17. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

The rescue centres I know would not appreciate people breeding with their rescues either. I know its part of the contract at some rescue centres that you get the animal speyed/neutered and some do this before rehoming which is the better thing to do in my opinion.
    You could effectively be adding more dogs to the rescue you got them from in the first place!

18. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Well I have posted on the other thread concerning my breed SBT's.
    Not tested not KC'd.

In my mind this is typical traits of a BYB-no tests,no concerns about the health & welfare of the breed.
    Vet checked & healthy does not mean they are free from hereditary/genetic conditions.

Sorry I don't agree with this either,it makes me very angry.

19. Dennyboy

Dennyboy PetForums Member

Why do you think your dogs were rescue's in the first place??

Also what can your prospective puppy buyers get in way of identification when the Dangerous Dogs Act goes knocking on their doors can they prove they are not pit bulls????

YOU SAID
    X Breeding can just as well provide healthy happy dogs as well as ones with medical problems as can breeding full bred.

So you know the background to the breeding of the RESCUE dogs you have?and you KNOW that the mixing of the genes wont create a new problem?As opposed to the original problems that the breeds in question suffer from??

YOU SAID
    I am now thinking of doing this as a small part time hobby of mine.

make's me :mad:

RESCUES ARE FOR DOGS WHICH HAVE FALLEN ON HARD TIMES THEY DONT NEED TO BE USED AS YOUR HOBBY

If you truely loved your dogs you would not risk their lives for your enjoyment.

20. Magik

Magik Guest

I always thought dogs from rescue centers were neutered/spayed as policy?

You got any pics of your american Bulldog crosses?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice