UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bit the bullet and both of them are now on raw. :) So far so good - Zeph is clearing his bowl for once after always eating kibble under protest and while Nushka would always inhale her food anyway, both are so excited for each meal. It's the second day today, Nushka having three meals yesterday and Zeph two, and so far no adverse effects of the switch with funny tummies. :thumbup:

I have a few questions though:

1. How many of you feed fruit/vegetables, do you recommend them? I tried some last night, while Nushka ate them (surprise, surprise) Zeph picked them all out and left them. :rolleyes: I'm tempted not to feed them now - is there anything they'd miss out on in your opinion?

2. At the minute they are just on chicken and bone mince while they adjust but I want to get them onto meals they have to chew more rather than just mince. Do you only count really meaty bones (e.g. lamb ribs) towards their daily allowance, or things like chicken carcasses and necks too? Getting conflicting advise over this haha.

3. I use the Dog Food Company, has anyone ordered their 'meaty bones'? Are they actually fairly meaty or would they still need to be boosted up with mince or something?

Thanks very much! Thought I had decided on everything before I started, and now I have just ended up with a few more questions after doing so haha.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I try and feed Kes vegetables now and again. Instead of giving them whole I tend to put htem in the blender to they're all mixed up, I put tumeric and apple cider vinegar in with the mix before I blend a they're good for joints etc. If she's not keen on the veg I mix in some tinned fish etc. to try and coax her to eat it. She eats apples and bananas just fine though :)

I could anything with a bone in towards their allowance, as the bone should be about 10-20% of their diet I usually find a chicken carcass is the perfect percentage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello.

Firstly, well done for converting to raw :D

In answer to your questions:

1. How many of you feed fruit/vegetables, do you recommend them? I tried some last night, while Nushka ate them (surprise, surprise) Zeph picked them all out and left them. :rolleyes: I'm tempted not to feed them now - is there anything they'd miss out on in your opinion?

I don't feed fruit and vegetables, in my opinion I feel they are pointless with little nutrition to my dogs. They can add fibre to a dogs diet which is a good thing but nutritionally they don't do anything. The only time my dogs get fruit and vegetables is if I give them Natural Instinct. They have Dorwest Keepers Mix to give them everything they need, herbally, in their diet.

2. At the minute they are just on chicken and bone mince while they adjust but I want to get them onto meals they have to chew more rather than just mince. Do you only count really meaty bones (e.g. lamb ribs) towards their daily allowance, or things like chicken carcasses and necks too? Getting conflicting advise over this haha.

It's good sticking to one meat source for the first week then adding another as each week passes, so next week you could try turkey then the following lamb and so on. In m opinion, chicken wings, legs and carcass can class as a meaty bone - I buy a whole chicken and section it into legs, wings, carcass and make sure I prepare them so they have as much meat on as possible :)

3. I use the Dog Food Company, has anyone ordered their 'meaty bones'? Are they actually fairly meaty or would they still need to be boosted up with mince or something?

Never used this company so cannot answer this question. The companies I have ordered from, like rawtogo, their bones haven't got a huge amount of meat on.

Hope the above helps. Feeding raw is down to people's opinions and what they have researched. I researched a lot and decided to make up my own mind instead of listening to others as everyone , just like every dog, is different.

Good luck and you'll soon find raw feeding a walk in th park and you will be answering your own questions :D

Regards, Rory.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much guys. I can't wait to get them onto other meats, especially with the relish they're enjoying the chicken and bone mince at the mo! Will be patient though. :)

I thought that they would be counted too honestly, I just got down when some said they weren't. S that's good to know. I think I might adopt a similar strategy to you, Phoolf, and give fruit and veg occasionally, such as if there's some to use up haha.

Off tomorrow to get some chicken necks, wings etc for them to try so its or just mince, but I wanted them on that first to make it a bit easier for them. Then it's continuing my stock up on other meats! The wolves I work with are (obviously) fed raw so I have some experience from it there too, as I hand feed the wolves as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.