Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to raw feed and need advice.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Zelah, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Zelah

Zelah PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I'm new to raw feeding and have a couple of questions.
    I have an eight week old GSD who weighs 6.7kg, and I'm not sure how much I should be feeding him a day.
    Also I've read some things need to be frozen for some time but I'm confused as to what and for how long.
    I've a fresh chicken and lamb can I just give him some?

2. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I would very much recommend having a read of this thread; it's where I learnt pretty much everything I needed to on raw feeding.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/raw-feeding-everything-you-need-to-know.111437/

You can also download a book from Honeys, for free

http://honeysrealdogfood.com/raw-feeding-advice/

Have you done any raw feeding yet? If not, the rule of thumb is that you start with one protein source e.g. chicken, and feed only chicken for about 10 days. That way you can tell if the dog has any adverse reaction to it. Then you add a second protein and so on. Are you ultimately planning on doing it DIY or buying in pre-made minces? Unfortunately, giving a dog just muscle meat isn't enough for it, it needs a balance of 80% muscle meat, 10% bone (although this also can vary between dogs, you need to check their poo to know what is right for yours), 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ (e.g. kidney). You will need to feed about 10% of his current body weight, but this is just a rule of thumb, and differs with every dog.

3. Zelah

Zelah PetForums Newbie

Thanks I will have a look at the links and do some more research..... and this time take notes
    I know the 80-10-10 and have been giving offal and bone, luckily he was weaned to raw and has been introduced to all proteins so I don't have a problem with that.
    As for the amount per day working on 10% of his weight I think I'm giving him a little more than 670g.. usually he has about 750g but his poos are ok so I'm not going to stress about it.
    Thanks again for your info and support,
    Zelah.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice