Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to raw diet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LuciaD, Mar 6, 2019.

1. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

My dog Oreo has had no end of tummy problems. Cannot seem to handle 90% of wet or dry food anymore since he was unwell!

Our last resort is raw! I was thinking the Natures Menu Country Hunter nuggets to start him off, it has bone but no offal. I don't feel comfortable buying offal and trying to cut and give him the right amounts as yet....Is there a problem if he doesn't have offal for now (because this wasn't in any kibble or wet food anyway!) and is the Country Hunter nuggets a good choice?

Thank you

2. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

The "Natures Menu" Country Hunter is as good a place to start. It will not harm your dog if there is no offal or liver for a short while but you will have to consider a mix with liver in at some stage to give your dog all of the needed vitamins.
    Natures Menu do make some "complete" 1lb blocks that you may be interested in.
    Natures Menu is convenient no mess and no smell. Excellent for beginners.

I am always suggesting that "Newbees" to raw feeding should either Register with the "Honey's" website and order their "Honey;s Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs" for FREE, or try Amazon for as little as 1p. This is a nice easy to read and understand little book, a great help for NEW raw feeders.

3. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much! We will definitely add in liver plus another organ kidney/heart/tripe I've heard is a good second organ. I know Natures Menu sell that separately so I can add into the country hunter nuggets before giving him his food. I got Nutriment at the moment which actually includes offal in the complete meals BUT I don't want to make him unwell as he's not used to offal as much, so I think it's best to start without, then slowly introduce.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Start out with tiny amounts of offal and then work up to the 10% of offal,I wouldn't be without my digital weighing scale for getting the exact amount

LuciaD likes this.
  5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Being exact with weighing amounts of raw products is not required, and neither is feeding a "balanced" feed every day.
    Raw feeding balances itself over a period of a few weeks, percentages are a guideline.
    A variety of raw products is good, don't let raw feeding become a chore.
    As above introduce plucks/offal with care, especially the liver and heart, as these can cause loose poo's if too much is used at a time.
    I am sure you will be ok using the Natures Menu products. Enjoy:D

LuciaD likes this.
  6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Heart is not classed as offal it is a muscle meat:)

LuciaD likes this.
  7. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Of course heart is a muscle, it is pumping continuously, but it is far from the same as meat/flesh muscle, it is part of the working organs. I would happily suggest feeding 1lb of flesh muscle but a 1lb of raw heart would cause quiet different and probably loose poo's, it is suggested that it comes into the 10% of mixing within a raw diet.

Torin. likes this.
  8. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have never fed heart and classed it as offal I cannot say I feed pounds of it at a time though I usually add when a meal has to much bone,I have never seen where heart is classed and fed as Offal:)

9. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

Ok so after his first day on raw, his poop has turned into tiny little pellets, normal colour at first then slightly whiter towards the end which is bone, that's fine, the majority was absolutely ok. Secondly, he's drinking less but I know there's a lot more moisture in a raw diet than kibble. Is this normal for him to drink less? He's still going toilet normally etc.

10. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Yes it is perfectly normal for your dog to drink less when on a raw diet.
    With regards to your whiter pellets they are fine too, as you say it is the bone content that has caused this.
    It is not harmful but if you are concerned that your dog is trying to produce huge compact white poo's and a lot of straining, just reduce the bone content a little or add more meat.

Torin. likes this.
  11. LuciaD

LuciaD PetForums Newbie

No straining at all and it was less white today :) He's absolutely thriving on it! Why have I spent 3 years trying to play around with his kibble and heating it up to try and make him eat?!?! Haha

12. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

That's excellent. Good news enjoy :D:rolleyes:

LuciaD likes this.
  13. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Heart is offal for sure, but the classifications of percentages are done on secreting organs. All secreting organs are offal, not all offal is secreting organs. However as said by @wee man you do usually have to take care when adding non-secreting-organ-offal rather than a gung-ho "well it counts in the muscle percentage" attitude. Especially so with heart - it's very rich and a sudden introduction can result in some... erm... explosive results ;)

Of course there are going to be animals out there who are fine with it suddenly being in their diet in large proportions, but those people are the lucky owners of pets with iron hard digestive systems! I always advise on the cautious side when advising newbies (especially online newbies vs people I know in person) because the stakes are often higher if it goes wrong than an experienced person introducing a new animal to it.

wee man likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice