Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to doggos but...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Nubidubi, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Nubidubi

Nubidubi PetForums Newbie

Holy shit is it hard!!! This is the most difficult animal i've laid my eyes upon. It has the energy of a rocket and the attention span of roughly 0.3 seconds.

How do i get it to actually listen to me?
    If i tell him to sit, i've gotta do it like 15 times , because the first 14 are ignored.
    REEEEEE
    help pls what do i have to do for me to not have to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again?

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, sounds like life is a bit stressful right now!

Perhaps a little more information would help - is this a puppy or an adult dog? How old and what breed? How long have you had it and what training have you done so far?

I’m sure the collective Pet Forum brain will be able to help you :)

Nubidubi likes this.
  3. Nubidubi

Border collie , 6 months , had for 5 months and currently im trying to make him leave something alone because he trampled all my raspberries and fucked my door's window . If he sees me in the house he starts scratching it like a madman and so far it's looking like it's gonna break . Most people allow dogs to stay in but if this ****** gets in he breaks anything he finds .

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I understand you’re feeling frustrated but this is a family forum so take the language down a notch.

So you’re having a bit of trouble with your dog following your commands and he’s destructive in the house - is that about right? 6 months is a tough age.

Have you taught him the commands so he knows what you want, and do you reward him when he gets it right? Does he get regular exercise and mental stimulation?

moomoowawa, O2.0, tabelmabel and 3 others like this.
  5. Nubidubi

No mental stimulation , but i wear him out everyday , cuz otherwise i cant go out without him jumping all over me and dirtying my clothes. Sorry for swearing but he's driving me insane. And yes , he does what i want and gets that that's what he has to do to get a treat or a pat , but at the same time he basically ignores me most of the time. Have not tried to teach him how to leave something alone because i don't know how

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is this dog outside most of the time, because he's creating havoc indoors?

If he’s spending lots of time outside alone (from a young age?) it stands to reason he’s going to be over excited to see you / he’s lonely and bored.

Collies need mental stimulation not just lots of exercise otherwise you’ll end up with a hyper fit dog that’s bored and finds it’s own entertainment which often results in destruction. That could also be a sign of anxiety.

If you’re having to tell him 15 times to sit he probably doesn’t understand what you want.

Collies are usually very connected to their owners - it doesn’t sound like you’ve built much of a relationship if he ignores you most of the time.

I would say get a vet referral to a good behaviourist who uses positive reinforcement to guide you.

Look at kikopup, positively.com and thecanineconsultants.co.uk for tips on training and a better understanding of how dogs tick.

7. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Agree with @Lurcherlad . Spending more time interacting with your dog through training, play and quiet time together will not only build a relationship with your puppy and also help your dog settle. How long is the dog left alone for regularly?

A reputable trainer or behaviourist would definitely be a good idea :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Sounds pretty normal behaviour for a 6 month old collie pup. Was he only 5 weeks old when you had him and how much research did you do before deciding to have a Border Collie?

O2.0 likes this.
  9. Nubidubi

Truth is , i got him from my mom as a birthday gift.

10. Nubidubi

So from what i've gathered so far i need to build up a relationship with him so he stops going nuts whenever he sees me , and give him some mental stimulation so he stops finding his own "entertainment"

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Oh dear....!!

Cookielabrador, O2.0 and tabelmabel like this.
  12. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It sounds as if you might find training useful for yourself - training you to train your dog. You said you have to ask him 15 times for a sit - he either doesn't understand or has learned your sit cue is optional - it's a mistake to repeat and repeat as that just teaches him that you don't expect him to comply first time. As others have said, mental stimulation is important - as well as being even more tiring than physical exercise, it means you don't just end up with a super fit athlete that you can never tire. As mentioned, Kikopup on YouTube is excellent but can you find a good training class near you? If you want to say the area you live in, someone might be able to make some suggestions.

O2.0 and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

If you are new to dogs then getting a border collie puppy was certainly a case of jumping in at the deep end. I would strongly advise you to find and enrol in a local dog training class so that you can go along with your dog and have someone show you how to train him. Make sure it is someone who uses reward-based methods and not someone who subscribes to dominance theory.

Regarding ignoring your commands, there are five main reasons why dogs do this:

1. The dog does not understand what you are asking it to do.
    2. The dog is not sufficiently motivated to do what you are asking - it could be that the dog has not been sufficiently rewarded for this behaviour in the past or it could be that the environment is offering something more rewarding than you.
    3. The dog does not understand the boundaries of the behaviour - for example, the dog may understand that sit means sit when in the house, but has not translated this to mean the same thing in the garden or out on walks. Dogs have to be taught to generalise behaviours so that they can perform them in all sorts of different scenarios.
    4. There is something amiss in the relationship between dog and handler. This could be that you haven't built up a good enough relationship together.
    5. There is a physical reason why the dog does not want to perform the behaviour (for example, performing a sit can be quite uncomfortable or even painful for dogs with hip problems).

I hope this helps you understand things a bit more, but as mentioned I really would get yourself enrolled in a training class. There is only so much advice one can give over the internet, and I am sensing you need quite a bit of guidance with this pup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice