Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to chicken keeping

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Bodie, May 18, 2010.

1. Bodie

Bodie PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I am new to the site, and new to keeping chickens. On Saturday, we picked up our three new ladies - a Light Sussex, a Lohman Brown and a Blue Maran, all about 20 weeks old.

They are all lovely and very placid, but two are quite timid, the Blue Maran in particular. We are going up to see them regularly for a little chat, so they can get used to us.

I am sure I will be about here asking for advice along the way, but just thought i'd pop in and say hi!

Dawn

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome

I am sure after a few week or so they will get used to you ....keep picking them up and eventually they will more than likely be fine

Juliex

3. Taylors Petfoods

Taylors Petfoods PetForums Junior

Hi and welcome....
    I'm new here too,
    hopefully i can share my knowledge and grab loads from other people.
    its great to hear about your new arrivals.
    We recently purchased some serama eggs on ebay and 11 out of 12 hatched. They are tiny.
    I hope everything goes well with your 3. Thats a great number to start with.
    All the best,
    Michael

4. Bodie

Bodie PetForums Newbie

Thanks!

We got our first egg yesterday. Not sure which chicken laid it, I think it might have been the Light sussex. It is sooo tiny, but otherwise perfectly formed! I was very excited when I found it! My son is going to have it for his breakfast in a minute - will let you know how it tastes (if there is enough to go round!)

5. rona

rona Guest

Hope the egg tasted good.
    They sometimes lay very small eggs for a while.
    With this weather, it probably won't be long before you get more

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice