Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lisavn, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM.

1. Lisavn

Lisavn PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone I'm Lisa Newbie to the forum and also to breeding so apologies for sounding "stupid" or if I'm posting wrong.
    I'm in the process of getting ready to breed my show type golden cocker spaniel. She is non kc and will hopefully be breeding with a kc mini poodle (depending on her health tests being ok). Would the pups be registered as kc or non kc? I'm trying my best to research every question I need answering but not getting true information so thought I'd find a forum to ask all my questions I come across along the way.
    Also with my girl being non kc am I choosing the right type of breed (mini poodle) to mate her with?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

A cocker X poodle would not be KC registered as crosses are not recognized breed.
    If you bred her to a coker it would still not be a KC registered litter as she is not a KC registered bitch.

What are your reasons for breeding her?

Lurcherlad, Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Lisavn

Lisavn PetForums Newbie

Ok that clears that up thank you.
    I've always wanted to have the experience of one litter. I dont intend on having loads of litters. She has such a loving mum nature to her to our other cocker spaniel that makes me think I should let her have one litter.

4. cava14 una

cava14 una Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie

5. Lisavn

Lisavn PetForums Newbie

Thank you I will have a read

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

That thread is an excellent read. Remember that one litter could cause you expensive vets bills, no puppies at all, or even cause serious health problems, even death, for your bitch. It's not all sunshine and rainbows and dogs don't crave babies. It's a whole lot of stress, confusion and pain for them and a load of sleepless nights for you.

Lurcherlad and O2.0 like this.
  7. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

This is very true.
    Unlike humans dogs have no instinct to reproduce and fulfill any maternal longings. You would be doing her a favour gettng her spayed and relievng her of continual hormonal fluctuatons and the risk of pyometra.
    The world doesn't need any more cross-breed dogs.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

How do you know?
    We can never know exactly what goes on in the mind of another human, let alone another species.

9. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

O2.0 likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's far from the first time I've made this point. And because lots of people trot out a common fallacy is no reason not to point out that's it has no basis.
    Of course I'm against indiscriminate breeding, but for anyone to make a claim that there is no evidence for (and never can be) does the person making that claim no credit. There are plenty of good reasons not to breed; the considerable expense in getting the proper tests done (with the risk of spending all that money then finding out the results aren't up to standard), the search for the right, complementary stud and making sure his tests are good enough, the possible costs and risks of birth needing out-of-hours surgery, taking weeks off work to be with the dam and litter, finding suitable owners, letting the pups go. And you can take all the care in the world and still lose the bitch and pups. There's no need to make up any other reasons.

11. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

As I said, this debate needs a thread of it's own. It would be interesting to know if there is any research on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice