Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kateaitken07, Jul 23, 2009.

1. kateaitken07

kateaitken07 PetForums Junior

Any good tips??

I would like to breed Nips. Shes a year old, black and half siamese. She has already had one litter (with last owners as explained in a different post).

When would she be ready for breeding? I dont want to breed to fast too soon as her health and happiness is paramount. She just made such a lovely mum!!

She shows no signs in being in season. One of my females used to scream the place down but Nips is just Nips!!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Why do you want to breed?

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

who would you mate her too?!

if you want to do what's best for her then please have her neutered asap. if she's not long had a litter under a year old i'd certainly want to give her and her body a rest.

4. kateaitken07

I would want to mate her to another siamese.

I dont want to breed from her now, I wanted to wait a bit :D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

But she isnt a siamese.

I wouldnt have thought that many decent breeders will allow their studs to cover a moggie.

6. kateaitken07

Ok cool I wont breed, only asked for advice for the future!!!

My cats are my life and I wouldnt want to do anything to comprimise there health

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I wouldnt breed unless there was a very good reason too IE, to improve a particular breed.

There are already countless "accidental" litters and thousands of cats in rescue centres with no homes. There are also many people finding it hard to sell kittens right now.

I have a half siamese, shes about 12 now. VERY smart cat. All her litter was black except her, and shes a tabby. Built like a siamese, but a little bit smaller.

You'll have to post some pics :)

dipdog likes this.
  8. id definatly not breed her.
    I had an accidental mating a year ago when missy got out of the house while in season. Shes a house cat and dont like being outside but escaped somehow and we found her the next day at the front of our house.
    Anyway about 9 weeks later she had 7 gorgeous kittens. We decided to keep one ourselves which is our black and white Lucky (can see him in my albums) But the remaining 6 didnt have homes. we had them advertised as soon as they were born but no one was interested and we were only asking £15 a kitten. In the end we had to offer them for free. We had a little more interest but we still had two others Both jet black that no one wanted. When they were 14 weeks old we finally managed to find them homes with a member of my family. we would of kept them if we couldnt but i thought id tell you my story to warn you & others that may be thinking of breeding their moggy, that even if you dont plan to sell them for much you still may end up not finding homes for them.

9. kateaitken07

Forgot to add, I didnt want to breed to sell. Its just that nips is so beautiful, so is Boo he daughter that I would keep her babies for myself. If she had more then 3 or 4 I have a couple of close friends that have said they would love one of her babies.

I wouldnt do it on a whim. Sorry if it came across that way :(

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh god no I hate to come across as horrible but please don't! Why breed from her? Do you want to better the breed, make money or breed to keep?

Please reconsider!

11. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i am not saying breed or dont breed but if you did decide to go ahead and breed her, you would have to ensure that 1. she had all the required blood tests done and did not have any diseases, that 2. the stud you were using had the same (the owners would have to prove it) and that 3. the cat was left at least a year since having her last litter and would always be best to try and make sure you had some suitable homes lined up before hand if possible

i may get some negativity from some people for giving this advice. Yes there are a lot of cats in shelters, I have just started volunteering for a cat rescue organisation myself. however you will find that if you go to a lot of rescue centres no matter how much experience you have it is VERY difficult to actually get a cat from them (I was approved for fostering but not for rehoming as i have 3 cats and 2 kids so go figure)

12. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

'free to good homes' arent always the best way to go about things.

If you do go ahead with it make sure she is health tested, FIV & FeLv & up to date on vacs etc. Ask local studs near you whether they would take her, I couldnt say whether they would or not, Im guessing more a 'no' though.

They add everything up! Birthing kits, c-sections (you never know) hand rearing 2 hours just incase, may never happen but nice to be informed & know how to do it if it does.

You might spend a good £500 including a mating fee and get £50 per kit back, if you can do it and still get them good homes or if they dont sell & give the ma home then its up to you, just dont let her out and about when in season please!!

13. kateaitken07

I havent made a definate descision yet, I just wanted to know the ins and outs of it all before I made up my mind. Plus I would keep the babies but Ive already had a few friends say they would love one of her babies too.

I was actually going to work for the cats protection league but because I already have cats of my own it was difficult.

And I agree with what you say, I have tried to get rescue cats before but cause I have cats and chldren already its pretty impossible!!

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

You will find that all of your 'friends' will slowly fade away once the kittens are born........when faced with the reality of a kitten they tend to disappear quite quickly! Dont rely on that at all in your decision!!!

15. kateaitken07

This is why I asked advice first :) I can hand rear cats, thats no problem as I have done it (sucessfully) in the past aged just 12 years old.

16. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

on your website it says you want to breed your tabby kitten on there too. no decent breeder with a siamese stud will let you use them. it's not allowed. you may get a back street one but will the stud be healthy? good chance it won't be and will therefore infect your cat, would you want that?

neuter them. if you want to breed cats i suggest you look into the breeding of pedigrees and doing it all above board.

there is no rules to prevent you breeding moggies and if that's what you want who am i to stop you but i think it's not a great idea,

17. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Totally agree.

Look how many moggie kittens there are being born even in the recession we have currently - how many of those kittens will have decent homes to go to? There are so many moggie and crossbred kittens around that many people are simply no longer prepared to pay for what is in effect the product of a mistake as the 'breeders' claim them to be - and there seems to be an awful lot of these so-called mistakes these days.

I think it disgraceful that these poor pet cats are deliberately allowed outside to get pregnant and treated as cash cows. :mad:

Not too long ago moggie kittens were given away free not sold for silly prices that they are today - I think finally the bubble has burst and we are going back to those days as people are getting much wiser.

18. ClaireLily

ClaireLily PetForums Senior

I know this may be a little off topic but I am always so surprised by how many poeple there are saying there are millions of moggies without homes, I don't doubt that its true but I personally have never managed to easily find a kitten. I was lucky with my first, a shelter was closing down and I got one of the last ones, I paid £50 and she came fully vaccinated the second I had to travel the width of Scotland to a shelter who was willing to home to an indoor only, the ones near me said they would only home a cat with white ears to be indoor, the third, again I have had to go back to Ayrshire, those two cost £50 also and came with their first vaccination and were microchipped. In my current hunt for a kitten I have been lucky enough to find a shelter in my home town who may have kittens available but I think they want £55 vaccinated but no chip.

I must add though, I wouldn't be keen to get a kitten from a random person out the paper etc as I couldn't risk my girls catching something, I use shelters where I know they have been vet checked and also not only am I being good to myself for having more babies but I'm being good to the kits by offering them a loving home.

I think the only time I would buy kitten form a private ad would be if it were a pedigree with paperwork and parents paperwork etc regardless of how much I wanted one.

19. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

claire makes a reasonable point, i think though in scotland there are far less available cats and kittens than there is in england, most of the rescues here do not have waiting lists to rehome cats and kittens and the rspca one here is usually less than half capacity when i go and look round.

20. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

You already have six cats. As TB quite rightly says your "friends" will disappear into the ether once the kittens are born.
    What are you going to do with perhaps another 4-8 cross kittens?
    I am afraid that no reputable Siamese breeder will let you anywhere near their stud cat and even if they would they are still cross kittens/moggies.

If you like kittens then become a kitten fosterer for the CP, much better than just adding to the problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice