Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New to BARF diet - Diary

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Babydumpling, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Babydumpling

Babydumpling PetForums Junior

Foxhound - Archie, Labrador - Oscar.

Archie has lost loads of weight and looks really skinny, protruding ribs and back bone, if we feed to much Kibble he gets really loose stool. Need to fatten him up!
    So we've been advised to try this BARF diet, it sounds fantastic, but quite confused about what to feed them and how much. Archie is 10months old, Oscar is 6months old.

Day 1,
    We blended up some sweet potato and raw egg with shell, then fed each of them some of this, a leg and a thigh each - chicken. Morning meal and dinner meal.
    Both ate it all up and loved it - Archie chewed it all up properly, Oscar inhaled it! So will make sure his bones are bigger and have to be chewed tomorow.

Day 2,
    Again blended sweet potato and 2 chicken thighs for breakfast - both loved it,
    Then breast/bone and legs - chicken mixed with blended cabbage & sprouts for dinner.
    Archie seems more relaxed and chilled out already! and his Poop is amazing, just the right consistancy already? (I know excited about poo!) Oscars coat seems to be super shiny.
    Not sure if we are just noticing things that were already there, but Im convinced that this diet is working well already.

#1 Babydumpling, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

I've just done a very similar thing mine is the raw feeding diary and we are about 3 weeks in and going well.

Just to prewarn you...if this was the first bone your dogs have ever eaten be aware they can be sick the first few times they have bone. Lexi was sick the first two or three times white biley stuff with bits of bone in...this is normal something to do with the stomach acid having to get used to digesting bone....so don't panic its normal and does stop.

We swapped to raw as Lexi has suffered with tummy issues most of her life and she has just turned 2. Put her on this 3 weeks ago and aside an issue at day creche feeding her things she shouldn't be having it has been AMAZING!!!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

3. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

welcome on board. Mine have been swopped over for just over a month and other than the odd hiccup everything is going really well. I think they are eating better than I am now - I mean they have duck for meals tomorrow.

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, recently switched my 3 to raw and its going great :)

5. Babydumpling

:) Well we tested them with some beef rib bone last week, and the nsome lamb bone - as treats instead of their usual rawhide, so quite confident that they'd be ok with the bone, just want to make sure they chew it up properly! lol - was so scared when Oscar inhaled his first chicken bone! He seems ok now, and since this he has chewed the bone, and we've not broken it up for him, the bigger the better, I read somewhere,

I'll keep reading your posts to see what your doing, I'm just scared of giving too much or too little variety, I'm sure we'll get used to it, in the mean time the Poo is looking good, hope it builds them both up!

Has her tummy problem cleared up since the new diet? Do you follow a particular plan? or are you just making it up as you go along like us?
    We are following the meat and 2 veg rule at the minute, with a raw egg with shell.

6. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Archie is the same age as Peggy, our English Foxhound.

How much does Archie weigh at 10 months?

7. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I don't give Craven smallish round bones anymore as he got one stuck between his teeth and it went into his gum.

He wouldn't let me try and get it out,so I had to take him to the vets where they had to knock him out to get the bone out.:eek:

It could be that Craven has a small bone size gap in his teeth,but I won't risk it anymore and supervise him everytime he has a bone now.

8. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

She is sort of on meat and 2 veg but not quite. I worked out her meat intake which sould be 2.5-3.5% of their adult recommended weight then I add veg in, not mushed up just raw. They don't break veg down anyway (you'll notice some funny coloured poo's Lexis are yellow at the moment thats the sweetcorn) so i use veg as a filler, so she has 200g mince for her breakfast with a handful of mixed veg then about 150 g meat for her tea again with a handful of mixed veg. She also gets a whole raw carrot (peeled) daily as a treat as she likes them.
    Don't worry about variety, if you have a boy with a senstive stomach take it slow, we started off with a purely chicken based diet then after a week introduced a new meat turkey, we are now on the third meat which is lamb, next week is venison, week after rabbit then week after that tripe.
    Her diet at the minute is going:
    Monday am - 200g of meat mince (proper dog meat mince with ground bone and offal from raw to go) with a handful of mixed veg.
    Monday pm - chicken breast chunks, little bit of liver, little bit of kidney (still building up offal levels) handful of mixed veg and tablespoon of probiotic yoghurt.
    Tuesday am - 200g mince with veg
    Tuesday pm - meaty bone (either chicken drumstick or 2 wings) plus some veg and probiotic yoghurt)
    Wednesday am - 200g mince with veg
    Wednesday pm - tin of sardines in tomato sauce with raw egg and shell and probiotic yoghurt
    Thursday am - 200g mince with veg
    Thursday pm - meaty bone with veg and probiotic yoghurt
    Friday am - 200g mince with veg
    Friday pm - chicken breast chunks, liver, kidney, veg and probiotic yoghurt.
    Saturday am 200g mince and veg
    Saturday pm - 150g mince veg and probiotic yoghurt
    Sunday am - 200 g mince and veg
    Sunday pm - meaty bone veg and probiotic yoghurt.

If your boy has a senstive stomach a tablespoon of natural probiotic yoghurt a day can really help (must be natural no flavour otherwise it contains sugars)

Also introduce offal REALLY slowly liver is very very rich as is heart so we started off with a piece the size of a 50p and she was fine so gave her a bit more and she has been fine.

Lexi is doing so well on it we have never had such good solid poo's and she was doing 5-6 a day (14 in one day at her worst) she is on 2 to 3 maximum now.

Hope some of that helps.

9. Babydumpling

Archie currently weighs 29kgs, but he's skeletal at the mo and needs bulking up! How about your Foxhound?

10. ian1969uk

Peggy is just under 40kg, so a good bit heavier.

11. Babydumpling

Lexilou2, thanks that's great help!
    We've been told by our trainer to try cottage cheese to help bulk him up and sort his soft stool out too, not sure if its something you've tried.
    Can't wait for payday so I can properly get shopping and get all of this diet sorted out, its quite exciting, looking forward to seeing them both blossom!

12. Babydumpling

Day 3:
    1 chicken wing and a chicken breast bone each mixed with an egg and shell, and blended sprouts and cabbage.
    Wow the dogs are alot more relaxed, and there poop is amazing! perfect consistency not runny at all! Amazed. :D
    Same again tonight food wise, except different cuts of chicken.
    Got some oxtail for there breaky tomorrow - not sure how that will go, but they say variation is the key!

13. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

That's really bizarre just noticed you are in west yorkshire...so am I.

Glad it's working for you so well already.

We tried cottage cheese and i did have an effect but not quite as good as the probiotic yoghurt. I suupose they are all much of a muchness really if you think about it.

I tried probiotics as i found if for any reason she was on antibiotics her tummy troubles got better so i wondered if she had some form of bacteria imbalance as well as an irritable bowel. Its been trial and error, the vet offered us a bowel biopsy but i didn't want her been knocked out when the vet has already told us that she is 95% sure that's wahts wrong with her.

14. Babydumpling

Day 4: We gave them Oxtail this morning - a lil bit rich so Chicken for Tea! to settle there stomach, been trying out different veg / salad with them, Gave them Lettuce and tomatos blended today.
    Poop = :)Good, solid - lil bit softer than has been but assuming this is cos of the Oxtail.

Day 5: Back to Chicken thighs today, With Carrots - they loved it.
    Poop = :)Good, still bit softer but getting better. (I know we've become completely obsessed with Dog poo! ha ha! Great meal time banter!)

Day 6: Went to the local Market and got a sack full Chicken Carcusses, they absolutly stink! eugh! a lil bit dubious about them, but hey ho!
    fed these with Carrot and Cabbage blended - Jeez you need a strong stomach for this job! lol, Cabbage absolutly stinks when blended!
    They both were sick 10mins after eating and neither of them wanted to eat it all back up - it stank rank! feel really bad for feeding them the carcusses!
    Poop = :mad:Not so good! - thinking this might be the carcusses? they smelt really bad!

Day 7: Went back to the Farm shop Butchers today and got some sacks of chicken necks, wings, legs and thighs. Some fresh. the rest frozen - smells good and looks really nice and fresh! put in an order for some more next week.
    (Thrown the Carcusses in the bin as - the market butcher was just putting these straight in a bin, and leaving them to go minging not refridgerating or freezing them, as a rule I'm thinking I know they are dogs but if I'm not willing to eat it, my dogs arent eating it! )
    Both dogs loved there new chicken, and I feel better feeding them it, I guess you learn as you go on this diet! Bought a new blender, and sacks of carrots are 76p!!!! you can't go wrong!!
    Poop = :(Soft, think this is still the carcusses working there way out.

15. Babydumpling

I think we are going to get some probiotic yogurt as soon as we can, at the minute we are adding egg and shell to the meal - good source of protein and vitamins - so ive heard.

Which Brand probiotic do you use? isnt it supposed to be dairy free? or doesnt it matter?

Archie is looking alot better and more chunky, Oscar is looking bigger too, I wouldnt turn back this diet is amazing! I'm SOLD!! :D:D
    I'm based in Leeds, we got to Mypetstop in leeds - near white rose shopping centre, for puppy classes, hydrotherapy, etc, you should look online at there site! they are really good for dogs, - Sorry I love the place I sell it to everyone! lol!

16. ian1969uk

17. LexiLou2

LexiLou2 PetForums VIP

That is so bizarre, Lexi goes to day creche at my pet stop every tuesday (she used to do day camp but got asbo'd for playing too rough) we did puppy classes, advanced puppy classes and her good citizen bronze she does hydro (only staffie they can get to free swim) and we do the occasional flyball session on a saturday...i also use the vets!! I LOVE my pet stop.....what a small world!!!

18. kellyalfie

kellyalfie PetForums Newbie

Hi i want to start raw feeding my dog not quite sure how to start, advise would be great, Hes a bulldog 8 months old. His poos are really bad and he goes about 3 times on a walk. Other than that hes fit and healthy correct weight and lively. Thanks all. Kelly xx

19. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Start ploughing your way through the sticky "Raw feeding - Everything you need to know". It's a big read but you will learn an awful lot, check out the links within that thread too. There are also a few other threads too, do a search in this section. Then ask any questions along the way - it's took weeks of me reading before I took the first steps.

20. Babydumpling

We read all about it, but it can be quite confusing, your supposed to feed them about 2/3% of there weight in food a day, dependant upon how much exercise they get.

We generally feed ours - a 6 month Labrador, 10month Foxhound - 2 pieces of chicken (thigh/leg/wing) 2 chicken necks and some processed Veg (so that it imitates veg found in an animals stomach when dogs would eat them in the wild) with the veg we basically just fill what ever space is left over in the bowl after the chicken is in it with veg.

within 24hours of putting them on this there poo is solid - no marks left when picking up, and within 7days our foxhound has gone up a notch on his collar! Yey! he's gaining weight.

If you dont want your dog to gain weight then just dont feed them as much as we do, you'll figure out how much to feed them within the first few days.

Hope that helps x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice