Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new to all this, help :)

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by emmaj89, Aug 10, 2011.

1. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hi guys im new to all this so any help will be much appreciated :) not really sure if iv done this right either.

im the proud new owner of a beautiful labradoodle puppy called poppy, she is 10 weeks old and iv had her a week on friday, toilet training..... hard work. any advice?

2. Rhyso

Rhyso PetForums Newbie

Wow, I would love one of them! I think the trick is just carbord in a corner and possitive reinforcement with treats. I personally am not a fan of the harsher punishment training methods, you want the puppy to like you and not be affraid so praise is good.

Rhys

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Consistency from day one, I don't use any indoor training methods, as I think it's confusing to teach a pup it's ok to toilet inside one minute, and expect them to go outside the next. Gentle praise when they get it right, associate a word or phrase if you want to, I use 'get busy' for mine. With pups, they may need to toilet after any activity, or inactivity, so after playing, eating, chewing something, or even just after sleeping. Get them out every half hour, and even set your alarm clock if necessary, to wake up and make one or two night time trips until they can hold their bladder. Never tell a pup off for getting it wrong, otherwise it may just lead to hiding toileting activities, no matter how frustrating it may seem, they don't do it in purpose. Clean up any accidents with a solution of biological washing powder in hot/warm water, to help dissolve any remnants, don't use a bleach based solution as the ammonia smell can encourage them to toilet in that area. :)

4. Rhyso

Rhyso PetForums Newbie

That was great advice and something I will remeber. I never thought of it being confusing for the dog to train them indoors first!

Thanks

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I made the mistake of trying out those puppy training pads when I first got Indie, and soon chucked them out, all they did was confuse matters :eek:

I think I've made pretty much every mistake in the book, and not just when it comes to dogs :lol:

6. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

thanks everyone thats great help. she does toilet most of the time when i take her our, but quite a few times she will have another wee indoors as soon as shes let back in. driving me nuts. im also struggling to get her to come back indoors after shes been out for the toilet, she seems to have mad stages and goes nuts haha there anyway to get her to come back in or should i let her do as she pleases with regards to wanting to stay out?

:) emma

7. jopetportraits

jopetportraits PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forums.:D

8. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hey thanks :)

9. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome, I agree with the others in just training to toilet outside straightaway.

10. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome! I love labradoodles, what's her fur like right now?

Good advice from Sleeping Lion and I think there's a sticky in the training/behaviour section.

11. emmaj89

emmaj89 PetForums Newbie

hey, her fur is gorgeous. really thick and soft, with fine wispy bits on top of her fur quite like human hair. very nice though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice