Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

new tank :)

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by nic101, Aug 16, 2009.

1. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

im not new to fishkeeping but im learning more everyday :)

i used to have a big 200 litre tank which i got rid of due to lack of motivtion!

so got asmaller 25 or so litre one which has 2 small puffer fish in (upgrading when need to)!.. and a 12 or so litre simon the fighter fish tank :)

im making it into a marine looking tank but freshwater fish etc... i just dont want the hastle of marine maintenance and expense!!

SHould be completed by wedd (waiting on background and more plants off ebay lol) so will post pics when its done :)

the fish are 2 freshwater puffers - never owend these before - had sharks/liverbearers/BGKF etc... any tips on keeping these would be ace - they are right little characters though lol!

:)

2. Grinningcat

Grinningcat PetForums Junior

I assume you're talking about the dwarf freshwater puffer / pea puffer? Those are really cool!
    Be sure to feed them a varied diet. Most will eat flake and pellet food, but they won't thrive on that alone. Bloodworms and brine shrimp are good supplements. They also LOVE snails. Your basic plant snail variety will do just fine. The puffers hunt 'em down for a nutritious snack.

25 litres. Hm, that's about 7 gallons. I don't have firsthand experience with puffers, but I've heard people suggest at least 5 gallons (~19 litres) per fish, due to aggression. I see your open to upgrading. That might be a good idea as they get older.

Yes, be sure to post pics! Those little guys are adorable.
    I'd love to see your fighting fish too.

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I cannot stress how important shells are, these are required by the fish to file down their fast-growing beaks. Should the beaks start to over-grow then they may need trimming by a vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice