Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Syrian Hamster!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by maris1111, Aug 10, 2009.

1. maris1111

maris1111 PetForums Newbie

My partner and I brought home a 10 week old hamster on Saturday morning, and we left him alone for a while to get used to his new home. In the late evening, after wandering around his cage for a while he seemed to have suddenly stopped moving, he was just laying on his side. So we got him out of the cage and he was completely limp, we stroked him for a good 30-40 seconds before he opened his eyes then jumped to life. After this he has seemed absolutely fine. I have read that a change in environment and temperature can cause hibernation, but I would have always thought it meant if they were too cold. Saturday night was hot if anything, do you think this and the stress of moving home could have caused hibernation behaviour? We have been trying to keep him as cool as possible ever since and he seems perfectly happy, although I am now concerned as he sometimes seems to be falling asleep outside of his bed in different areas of the cage. Do you think it would have been hibernation or something more serious?

Also, do you have any tips to encourage him to run on his wheel as he has not worked this out yet and tries to climb on the top! I am worried that he will not get enough exercise.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

thats strange iv never had a hammie do that before!! iv had them pretend to be dead though. they havnt woken up even when iv picked them up and they dont look as though they are breathing but iv only had older hammies do this, they usually wait till im crying before waking up and making me feel silly!! Not sure what it coud be, iv never had one hibernate either so im no help. Hope hes ok though

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I have just adopted a little syrian who has never lived in a home environment before, he literally doesn't know what a bed is for or bedding for that matter, so when he is tired he was just falling asleep where he was, He has now started to make himself a bed but it took a couple of days for him to work it out, could it be that your hammie is doing the same?

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I agree with tdm...
    One of my newbies falls asleep everwhere too.. Even on her wheel :)

Cold is what makes hamsters hibernate, not warm weather...
    Make sure he doesnt get too cold as he can get ill

5. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Sausage seems to be doing that recently... just falling asleep on the platform in his cage :S But I just thought that was probably normal but I don't know :D

6. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

i think we need some pictures of this new hamster of yours !!!

it is a very important rule on this forum :D :p

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

I agree... we need pics

8. maris1111

maris1111 PetForums Newbie

I will try to get some pics up soon, he's black and we've called him Ninja. This is also because on the way home from the pet shop which is 5 mins drive he was nearly out of the box through a combination of tugging at the internal flaps and ripping a hole and charging the ends! I never had that issue before and I've brought them further than that before! I found a website with free vet advice and they said this:

Occasionally hamster can aestivate during warm temperatures. This can happen during higher temperatures, like on Saturday. The hamster tries to conserve water and food when the temperatures warms upby entering a period of inactivity which can look similar to hibernation.

I've never heard of it before but at least it seems to be answering the question! He's still not figured out the wheel though! Keeps falling off the top, we've been trying to put him on it when we put him away.

9. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

well thats interesting to know, glad you found that out.

10. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

About the wheel, what size is it? Perhaps it is a bit too small for him, making it uncomfortable to run in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice