Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New some advice needed on dog behaviour please ☺️

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Floradora76, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Floradora76

Floradora76 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, just in need of some advice about doggy behaviour as I’m a worry wart! My labradoodle will be 2 in April this year. He’s very good, been lucky. Very chilled out dog.

Today he behaved strangely (it may be normal and fine) but It was out of character for him.

we were out in the park and met three other smaller dogs off lead. My dog knows two of these dogs really well and has met the other one too. They ran around all minding their own business. When we were walking out of the park I was getting some chicken out of my pocket and the small dog he didn’t know so well jumped up at my pocket and my dog barked very nastily at it (assume he’s was telling it to get lost) I give other dogs treats no problem with my dog next to me and he’s usually not bothered. Again as we left the park I went to give his two friends a treat and he was fine but the unfamiliar dog came up for a treat and Buddy then barked nastily at it another time (no growling just barked) I made a quick exit.

I may sound like a fruit loop but is that ok behaviour. I wasn’t sure he was being protective of me (he is never bothered if I let other dogs whilst out on a walk or give treats - I always do)This dog was a young dog too but wasn’t bothering buddy at all. Thanks and sorry if I sound like I’m stressing over nothing! X

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sorry to be cynical but I'd guess he might be being more protective of the treats. He doesn't know this dog quite so well, so the food and lower level of familiarity might have caused a flashpoint. Maybe just keep treats in your pocket when you see dogs he doesn't know so well.

3. Billbailey

Billbailey PetForums Member

It sounds like he was being protective to me. It was most likely the jumping up that did it. Buddy didn't like the manners of the young dog and let him know about it.

Burrowzig and Floradora76 like this.
  4. Floradora76

Thank you for replying. I do stress if he behaves like that, particularly because he hardly ever does. My husband tells me to shut up when I return home from a walk analysing Buddy’s behaviour. Yep I think it was this dog jumping up at me which made him tell it off, prior to that he was ignoring this dog and they’ve met before on less fine. His bark sounds terrifying as he’s a big dog! I think then when the other dog wanted a treat he told him to pee off again but was happy for his older jack Russell friends to have a treat I’m learning buddy’s very selective and like humans there’s dogs he likes and doesn’t. I definitely think he doesn’t like dogs that charge up to us, jump
    Up me and dogs constantly sniffing his arse

5. Billbailey

That's perfectly normal. Not all dogs like other dogs, especially when they are bad-mannered. Mine is not the most polite gentleman and I am careful around dogs we meet in the park. I don't let just run up to them and shove his nose wherever he likes.

I think it would be a good idea for you to intervene before it gets to the point where Buddy has to bark. Not always possible, I know, but sometimes you can spot the signs beforehand and cut the interaction a bit earlier. A lot of dog owners don't understand what's going on in these situations and Buddy could get a bit of a reputation as a nasty dog.

Burrowzig, Floradora76 and JoanneF like this.
  6. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

My older dog is great with other dogs but would also bark if he thought another dog was going to have one of his treats. I’d not have treats available when an unknown dog is around. If an off lead dog runs at mine and they respond then it’s the owner’s fault for having an out of control dog. One of mine is 4kg so only an idiot would think it acceptable.

Floradora76 likes this.
  7. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

I agree with the above. It’s also thought that dogs make a calculation: whether the thing is worth ‘fighting’ for (and I realise there was no fight - may be I should say ‘challenging’ for); and whether or not it’s worth challenging the other dog. It could be that your dog made that calculation and thought “right, I’m not having this”. It doesn’t sound abnormal to me.
    If there are other ‘unusual’ events like this, it would be worth getting a vet check to make sure your dog is not in pain for some reason which can make them grouchy (like the rest of us), but for now, I’d not worry about it. Dogs are much like people: some just don’t get along as well as they do with others. :)

Floradora76, Torin. and Billbailey like this.
  8. Floradora76

Thanks again. Yes I think he took offence to the other dog jumping up at me trying to get his treats from my Pocket. We don’t let him jump up at people and he’s very good like that. The other dog was also trying to hump the small Jack Russell and Buddy was giving it a very wide berth buddy’s such a softy, hardly ever barks when we are out so it took me by surprise. I think the other owner will probably avoid us now but maybe that’s not a bad thing!

9. Floradora76

Photo of Buddy, thanks again for your advice I appreciate it x

Attached Files:

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd object more to someone giving treats to my dog than some other dog barking at them.
    But agree with the others - your dog was telling off the rude one.

11. Billbailey

Ahhh... he's a sweetie! Is he labrador-sized?

Floradora76 likes this.
  12. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

He’s lovely.

Floradora76 likes this.
  13. Floradora76

Bit smaller but becoming a lard arse! He’s so chilled sleeps most of the time

14. Floradora76

I always ask first if it’s okay to offer a treat. I take chicken out with me as a training treat so other dogs tend to smell it. I’m going to hide it better now

Burrowzig likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice